Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Basement compartment door bolt assembly

I have the part ordered from a Winnebago dealer. I don't have a clue how to replace the broken bolt assembly though. Can someone who's replaced one clue me in?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

you have any pics that would help id the bolt assembly?
If it's the same as mine you need a drill, rivet gun and rivets and a screw driver.
A fairly simple fix depending on the door insulation. Get some extra as they do fail with age.
Someone will chime in to the rivet size and in the meantime I'll see what size I carry.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm using 3/16"x1/2" rivets..
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the pop-rivet size. Do you use aluminum or steel? All mine are 1/8", I have them on my shopping list. I see 2 phillips screws on the bottom end of the inner panel, and of course the latch cover. Do I remove that to gain access to the pull-rod? My W part # for the plastic bolt assembly for our MH is 121947-01-01A.
Really odd, the plastic rectangular bolt snapped with a clean, square break. It was my fault, the hyd. lifters were bad, and I allowed the door to fall and slam shut. I've since replaced all lifters/struts, now to replace that bolt assembly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They are the same as on my coach. Remove the plastic cover and get to the plate and remove that to get to the rod. Once you get the bolt rivets drilled and out reconnect to new bolt to the rod and rivet in the new bolt. Once you take the covers off the door you can see how simple it is. Just make sure the rod goes back the same as the old one did. I carry 4 with as the coach is aging and the plastic is getting brittle in the climate here. There will be more that will break. It's just when. Aluminum rivets...
Old 03-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pretty easy replacement on our coaches, Ray. I did one just recently. I remove the plastic cover on the back of the paddle latch, then pop the clip off the pull rod. Sometime take the latch itself loose as that seems to make it easier. Then I drill out the rivets, gently pull the slide bolt out enough to get it off the rod. Put the new slide bolt in with the rod through the same hole, and slide it in until the rod is back where it can be hooked up. Then two aluminum pop rivets, clip the rod back in place and put the latch back together. I have learned not to over tighten the three screws holding the paddle latch to the back plate. Over tightening can make the latch to hard to operate. I also lube the slide bolts with spray white lithium grease once or twice a year, and try to remember to close the doors gently rather than allowing them to slam shut.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Great, thanks guys. Looks like it will be next week until the bolts arrive at Camping World.
Kinda off-topic; I bought new struts from a local RV shop, the price was the same as on ebay, even with IN 7% sales tax.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I normally oder parts from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City. They normally beat local prices, even with shipping included. The last slide bolts came from Mobility RV and arrived in just a few days.

Tags
door