Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement air will not run in heat mode

I have run system in heat mode before with no problem. Air conditioning mode works fine. When I put it in heat mode, you can hear the unit start but the fan does not come on. Outside temperature is about 55, so that is not an issue. We are in a 06 Adventurer.
BLAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Once the tstat calls for heat, all the functions are handled by the pc board in the basement unit. You didn't say which fan is not starting, but I assume the indoor fan. The troubleshooting guide on the rv comfort website should help determine which component might have failed.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I once had a similar problem (mine was actually cooling) ...

I unplugged the power cord from the pedestal ... waited about a minute ... then plugged it back in ... and everything worked ...

I think the PC board needed to reboot ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Outside temp at 55? Just open the windows!! JK!! If you set the room temp 4-5 above ambient room temp, the gas furnace will try to kick on. Is this your problem?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Outside temp at 55? Just open the windows!! JK!! If you set the room temp 4-5 above ambient room temp, the gas furnace will try to kick on. Is this your problem?
No, my problem is the inside blower does not work in heat mode. Gas furnace is working fine. Probably is the control board. I will attempt a reset in the morning after the rain passes.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You should have a look at the Manual that came with the Coach to determine if that is how it is designed to operate. In my 09 Journey, the heat pump will not operate unless there is 4 degrees or less difference between the thermostat setting and the ambient inside temperature. If below that, the furnace runs until it reaches the set thermostat temperature - then on subsequent starts, the heat pump runs. Yours sounds to me like it is properly operating like mine.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I did a reset to no avail. So I am off to the service department next week. Not my favorite place to go.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

If you go online to the Airxcel website you can find a service manual for your heat pump. There are trouble shooting "trees" that will help you find the problem and define which part to change. You'll need to have your specific model number.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My inside fan will not operate on "constant run" when in heat-mode, but does in cool-mode. Took the coach in to have it repaired and was told that's the way it is designed. I wasn't charged so I know they weren't saying that for the shop time money.
That RV technician also said that if I have other similar problems, to remove the T'stat from the wall and make sure the wire connections aren't corroded and losing contact before spending money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

BLAdventurer, move the mode switch on the thermostat around, they are a know weak point on that thermostat.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
BLAdventurer, move the mode switch on the thermostat around, they are a know weak point on that thermostat.
I second that. When switching to electric heat a slight tap left of right will make her work. I know, I should order a thermostat !
Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with my 06 Horizon. The problem was a faulty air flow sensor. The heat pump would not start because it didn't detect adequate air flow.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

KD4XR
I think you're talking about the furnace. The furnace requires air flow before lighting the burner. A heat pump is electric only used to be called reverse cycle air conditioning.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same situation as grtharris describes, find I have to wiggle the tstat mode switch more often on our 04 Adventurer.
tandj385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
I had a similar problem with my 06 Horizon. The problem was a faulty air flow sensor. The heat pump would not start because it didn't detect adequate air flow.
In my case the description of the repairs states...

"Checked furnace it had a bad Sail switch disassembled unit to gain access to the switch had to repair the switch repaired reassembled unit and tested working good now"

So, based on that description, a relationship between the the front furnace and the heat pump does exist.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Strange that a problem with the furnace would effect the operation of the heat pump since they are two separate pieces of equipment.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

The sail switch is in the gas furnace there not any connection between the basement air unit and the gas furnace other than the thermostat which just sends the call for heat or A/C.
BLAdventurer, does the inside fan run on A/C. If it does I'm still thinking thermostat.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
In my case the description of the repairs states...

"Checked furnace it had a bad Sail switch disassembled unit to gain access to the switch had to repair the switch repaired reassembled unit and tested working good now"

So, based on that description, a relationship between the the front furnace and the heat pump does exist.
My only connection is the manual switch for selecting electric or gas heat. I suppose that could be corroded and losing contact.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions. "Murphy" had a better plan, just move the MH to the Iron Bowl state and it now works. Even works at home now. Canceling my service appointment in the morning. Don't really know what was causing it.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I have been having a similar problem, If inside is 68 and I start the generator and turn the elecric heat on and up to 70 SOMETIMES, the fan comes on and it works wonderfully, then during a cycle, I hear it click, but no fan, I do hear a compressor groaning, and I watch the amp meter go from 2- over 30, I then fear its going to burst into flame, so I click it to gas heat and it works fine...I have replaced the board inside the basement, which allowed the a/c to properly work, and I have changed the thermostat, just because, I have changed the starters and resistors they are attatched to...ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated, my wallet it getting thin...thx
Snotamer is offline   Reply With Quote