Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Hmm. So one compressor comes on with the fan then after awhile you here the click (I'm assuming the second compressor wants to start and the fan wants to go to high speed) then nothing but the groan of the compressor and a high amp draw.
Is that correct ?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

In the electric heat mode, both compressors will run, and they are controlled by the PC board in the basement unit, once it receives the 12volt command from the tstat. You could try turning off the breaker for the # 2 compressor and see if the heat works, then turn on the breaker and see if the # 2 compressor kicks in.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

No elecric heat, sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Hmm. So one compressor comes on with the fan then after awhile you here the click (I'm assuming the second compressor wants to start and the fan wants to go to high speed) then nothing but the groan of the compressor and a high amp draw.
Is that correct ?
After cycling maybe 2 or 3 times succesfully, I hear the Tstat click, but no fan, then I watch the amps start fluctuating, and then I hear a compressor start growning, and then the amps go wild, up to over 30, down to 4,
I've never got the fan to work on high, in any setting

when it works it draws very veryfew amps

thx for your reply
Snotamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
In the electric heat mode, both compressors will run, and they are controlled by the PC board in the basement unit, once it receives the 12volt command from the tstat. You could try turning off the breaker for the # 2 compressor and see if the heat works, then turn on the breaker and see if the # 2 compressor kicks in.
I didn't know they had separate breakers, I'll look into that, will the heat just work on 1 compressor? In case when I hit the second one it quits.

Thanks for your answer
Snotamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

If you turn off the # 2 circuit the heatpump will still run on #1. The PC board will turn on #2, but won't know it isn't running due to the #2 breaker being off.

Also remember, in the electric heat mode, the EMS will not shed the load of the #2 compressor as when in the cooling mode.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My only connection is the manual switch for selecting electric or gas heat. I suppose that could be corroded and losing contact.
Nope! I swung and missed. There is a direct relationship, when ambient temperature drops to the point the thermostat senses the heat pump cannot supply enough heat, it triggers the front furnace to operate in conjunction with the heat pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey with the Coleman AC/Heat Pump system. You can only get the Heat pump to work in cooler weather if the ambient temperature is 4 degrees or less from the thermostat setting. Otherwise the gas furnace kicks in and runs until the thermostat is satisfied. After that the heat pump will run on subsequent calls for heat. Took a long time to realize this but finally resorted to the owners manual!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote