Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement air "Rust Problems"

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon (New to us a year ago) It has always been a Florida coach, so no northern road salt. Today, I noticed some surface rust around the battery compartment and decided to clean it and repaint. While there I took out the screws that hold the body panel over the basement air.
The bottom inch was caked with dirt, and upon removal the panel was rusted out under the dirt. I removed both panels from the unit and saw the bottom 1/2" of the rear 6" of the blower housing was also rusted out. Was able to put pieces of Sintra (Sheet PVC) under the blower housing for insulation and support. I then formed a new side between the good metal and the sintra with JBWeld. When cured I coated the entire bottom with undercoating. Purchased new weatherstrip form to replace the panel seals. After attaching panels I cleaned the bottom areas of the panels and used Foil Duct tape to seal the area. Hard to believe this unit is so vulnerable Rust. If you have a similar Basement Air you might want to check it out
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It seems to be a common problem due to lack of primer paint under the finish paint. My coach is housed in FL as well and has never been in snow but I still have rust as you mentioned.

Take the radiator cover loose on the driver's side as well and you will probably find some more rust as well as right along the bottom of basement storage openings.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
From what I've read here, the rust problem on Winne's and Itasca's, in the area you mention and, the compartment areas near or at the door seals etc. is pretty common. Our new to us, '04 Horizon 36GD has a varying amount of it in certain places. And ours did spend the first couple of years of its life in the north east, YUCK! Here's a couple of pics of my oil pan before I did an cheapo cleanup and repaint on it. Talk about rust, you ought to see the engine block and a couple of other pieces.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here's my former basement A/C. Corroded beyond economical repair...copper tubing, joints, seals, #1 compressor inop (removed in pic), radiator fins crumbling, frame, wires, etc, etc. Fla resident...but when I bought the RV in Jan 03 (new) the dealer (Lazydays) failed to spray wash the undercarriage & A/C area upon arrival from Winny (road salt spray).

Last summer, replaced entire unit with new R-410 version from Lichtsinn (my rig has 50A svc---REQUIRED). Also replaced both blower motor bearings (new) with sealed, self-lubed bearings (new). Lots of $$$$$$ !!! It's always something.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just had the basement air out and surprisingly enough it wasn't rusted that badly. We did find the corner of the duct above blown out along one corner for about a foot and open a few inches. No wonder the thing couldn't cool. Lubed the blower motors, had the R22 topped up, cleaned the coils and replaced the foam seals while it was out. Replaced the thermostat too since it kept cutting out the second compressor for no reason.

Under the basement storage is a different story. I spent the better part of an afternoon wire brushing and painting with Rustoleum to try to slow the rust.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I submitted this article, not to complain, but to bring to the attention of others that they may have repairable rust issues if caught in time and to look in hidden areas.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I too am very disapointed in the amount of rust on my Florida Itasca. Floor of battery and electrical compartments, side rails behind wheels, etc. This reminds me of 1950's cars - no excuse in the 21st century.

I am repairing, and am going to install mud flaps behind the rear wheels.

I am going to mention this on my upcomming trip to Forest City plant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Here's my former basement A/C. Corroded beyond economical repair...copper tubing, joints, seals, #1 compressor inop (removed in pic), radiator fins crumbling, frame, wires, etc, etc. Fla resident...but when I bought the RV in Jan 03 (new) the dealer (Lazydays) failed to spray wash the undercarriage & A/C area upon arrival from Winny (road salt spray).

Last summer, replaced entire unit with new R-410 version from Lichtsinn (my rig has 50A svc---REQUIRED). Also replaced both blower motor bearings (new) with sealed, self-lubed bearings (new). Lots of $$$$$$ !!! It's always something.

Thudman
BILL: I was there in Concord when you got the bad news. Sue & I enjoyed dining with you that night. Glad to know TJ got your new one installed upon your return. Assuming it "fit" OK. Interested to know if you have noticed any "differences" between the new R410 unit and the old one, performance wise. Does it seem to cool like before? Any difference in noise level inside or out?Safe travels!
Ed
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon (New to us a year ago) It has always been a Florida coach, so no northern road salt. Today, I noticed some surface rust around the battery compartment and decided to clean it and repaint. While there I took out the screws that hold the body panel over the basement air.....
Thanks for making this post. I just purchased our 05 Horizon and already treated the rust under the batteries. I will take a look by the A/C door. Your post is a good reminder for all of us. I will post what I find.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It has always been a Florida coach, so no northern road salt.
Yep! Northern road salt is only a few months a year.
The Florida salt in the air if near either coast is year around.
Also all the hurricane season rains and high humidity can make rust.
Rubber roofs in Florida get more mold faster then any Northern state also.

It is almost impossible to keep chrome from rusting on a Florida Motorcycle.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon (New to us a year ago) It has always been a Florida coach, so no northern road salt. Today, I noticed some surface rust around the battery compartment and decided to clean it and repaint. While there I took out the screws that hold the body panel over the basement air.
The bottom inch was caked with dirt, and upon removal the panel was rusted out under the dirt.
Today as promised I looked at my basement air. I was surprised to find minimal rust that requires me to do anything. I have a couple other areas that I will work on but nothing serious. I guess I lucked out.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Ed, the new 410 unit cools & heats much better. As far as the sound goes, my hearing is in the pits, so I really can't judge, but I think it's more quiet. Yes, it "fit" OK. The only requirement is 50 Amp svc in the coach. Good to visit w/you at TJ.

Will, aka Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

THANKS, Will. Glad to know the "new" 410 gas units work well. Safe travels! Ed