Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Question Basement Air Repair

I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser with the basement air. I love it except when it doesn't work. Of course problems always arise on weekends in the summer. About 4:00 pm yesterday I noticed that it was getting hot inside the RV. The fan was running so I hadn't noticed that the compressors were off. I checked it out and the circuit breaker for A/C Circuit 1 had flipped. I reset it and it has not flipped again. Then I had my wife turn on the A/C via the thermostat while I was outside listening to what happened. The normal noise that it makes for about one second as it starts the compressor happened but did not stop. It continued for 30 seconds and then sopped for a second or two and it apparently tried to start the second compressor. It, too, ran for about 30 seconds before I had my wife turn off the thermostat switch. I have a Surge Guard hard wired on the incoming power line and it shows power to both legs of power. I have two questions. First, what do you think is happening? I can't imaging two compressors going out at the same time. Second, I am in McMinnville, Oregon and need to find someone Do you have any basement A/C repair experience in Oregon or SW Washington that you would recommend? I have lived full time in this motorhome for over 8 years so I guess it is time that something wears out and breaks. It just has been hard to find someone who knows how to work on these units.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

go to Airxcel site for service locator:

Airxcel | RV Products | Service

Enter your zip code. Look for service centers that have a UF listed under "services". Airxcel told me those are the centers that are familiar with the basement air units. Good luck.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A good residential AC repair shop may be able to help. You may have to remove the unit from the RV. They are not Rocket Science! The trick is to find someone willing to help. Some times the small one man shop is your best bet. Also some trade schools and Junior Colleges offer repair service.

Let us know what you find, Good Luck!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I checked the Airexcel web site and found a mobile mechanic listed. He had good references so I called him and he came out today. It turns out that he couldn't do any more than put a meter on the condensers. He did have a friend who was more knowledgeable and called him. This person walked him through a couple more tests and it was determined that I have a dead blower motor on the compressor. He did not have a replacement and was not interested in doing the job anyway. Luckily he only charged me about half of his service call rate since he did not fix the problem. I now have the name of the person he called and apparently they are very knowledgeable and stock most of the parts. I will call them first thing Monday morning and see what I can get worked out.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

With the information you can download off the manufactures website you should be able to get a residential / commercial HVAC technician to do the repair.

If you like to take a ride out to New Jersey I would be happy to work on it for you!

I will message you my phone number incase you have any further questions.

Good luck !
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I checked the Airexcel web site and found a mobile mechanic listed. He had good references so I called him and he came out today. It turns out that he couldn't do any more than put a meter on the condensers. He did have a friend who was more knowledgeable and called him. This person walked him through a couple more tests and it was determined that I have a dead blower motor on the compressor. He did not have a replacement and was not interested in doing the job anyway. Luckily he only charged me about half of his service call rate since he did not fix the problem. I now have the name of the person he called and apparently they are very knowledgeable and stock most of the parts. I will call them first thing Monday morning and see what I can get worked out.
Question is: Did he have a UF behind his name or listing of services? Coulda saved yourself some money, eh?

The air conditioner itself is not a problem, almost all parts can be repaired and/or replaced, the REAL problem is access to the unit, which in almost all cases requires removing the unit from the motorhome. THAT is the sticky point!

Again, I wish you luck in your endeavors
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Check for lose wiring at terminals and circuit breakers, especially around/in the transfer switch. I have see the screws back out and cause these results not only on my rv, but my house too.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
go to Airxcel site for service locator:

Airxcel | RV Products | Service

Enter your zip code. Look for service centers that have a UF listed under "services". Airxcel told me those are the centers that are familiar with the basement air units. Good luck.
I found this to be completely useless. I called every number within 150 miles of me and none were at all helpful.

I finally made a deal with a local residential air repair after I removed the unit at their location. Once it was on their bench they could deal with it. The only weirdness was that they had 24 volt controls and this wants 12. A sharp tech bypassed the whole thing and found a leak which he repaired and recharged.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Doug,
The unit starts with #1 compressor, and the condenser fan operating in low-speed mode. After a half minute or so of operation, if the thermostat is demanding temperature two or more degrees below ambient, the control system turns on the #2 compressor (keeping #1 on also), and switches the condensor fan to high-speed mode. Outside, you will hear the blower briefly stop, then restart in high-speed mode. On some models, there is an in-line fuse in the wire for the high-speed blower. If that fuse is blown, the blower won't operate at all when it switches to high-speed mode. The compressors will continue to run for a while, but you won't get any cooling with the condenser fan not running.
Turn everything off to prevent electric shock or damage to components, then open the access door for the unit, and remove the control panel access cover. Look for an inline fuse holder; if you have one, open it and check the fuse. Replace if necessary; it's an 8-amp slow-blow automotive type fuse.
If you don't have or can't find an in-line fuse, here's a work-around if you just gotta have air conditioning. Close up everything you opened, then turn off the circuit breaker for the #2 air conditioning circuit. Now turn the system on, set the thermostat as desired. Your #1 compressor will run, and the condenser blower will run in low-speed mode. This won't freeze you out if it's hot outside, but will provide some AC until you can get the unit to a tech who can fix it.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i was having the same on my 2002 winnebago, the compressor start relay was what the problem was. i found several other coaches over the years had the same problem, especially if they were used a lot in campgrounds with questionable voltage.
there is a hard start relay kit available. i would recommend that as a replacement. i dont have the part number handy, but it is available thru airxcel. they are familiar with it.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

did some research. the relay number for mine is 1460-1131 and the hard start capacitor is 8333a9021. maybe different for yours. check the manual available from airxcel for your model
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I called the recommended expert in the greater Portland area today. He was brusque with me and said he was booked out until the end of July. By the way, it is supposed to be 103* here this Saturday. He did say that if I would take the unit out of my rig and bring it to his shop that he might be able to work it in this week. The thing weighs something like 150# and I am 68 years old. I can't take it out by myself. I have called Guaranty RV which is an Itasca dealer but they haven't called me back yet (after 2 hours). I then called a local RV dealer and they talk like they can fix anything but I'm not sure they have much experience with these units. I made an appointment for Thursday morning but hope something better comes along first. I did find a person in Colorado that helped me in 2012 and he was real sharp but that is over 1,300 miles away. By the way, I checked the electric area and did not see an in-line fuse. It sounds like the first compressor starts, then waits 30 seconds and it starts the second compressor. What doesn't happen is I don't get cold air coming out the vents. The fan will move air when I set the switch from auto to on. The mobile mechanic said he found a fan that would barely turn and he thinks it is the blower motor for the compressor and it should be replaced. The brusque "expert" thinks there are other things that control the fan and that could be the problem. This is all very frustrating and of course I am getting hot.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Time to run out and get a portable Air conditioner that can be vented from a window via hoses.

Then when you are fixed up sell it in craigslist.

Tags
repair