Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Air Low Amps

I know that basement air issues have been discussed before but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem. When I start my AC it sounds like the first compressor is coming on and then a bit later the second seems to start as well.

I felt it was not cooling and when I checked my panel I noticed that at most it was using 18 amps and my prior experience is that it used around 23 amps.

I started the process again and noticed that it would start and immediately the amps would drop significantly and when the second went on it would jump from about 11 amps to 18. I suspect a capacitor, what do you folks think?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

shocking

Good question. When you start the air and it is warm enough for both stages ,the amps on mine is 9 amps. There is a lag in the outside fan when the second starts. If i am on the Gen the amps on the inside meter don't change. If its plugged in, it shows the full 23 amps. You can swap capacitors to see if one is out but be careful not to touch both sides at once or you'll get it.
Have fun
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

There are a couple of things it could be. Capacitor or a relay. The capacitors are obvious and are all grouped together. Sometimes a bad one will have a bulge in the case or the connectors will exhibit burn marks. The relays are in the upper right corner of the electrical panel at the outside unit. They're rectangular and either black of dark brown. Look for burned wires on their connectors too.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is your frig on A/C? My basement air only draws about 18, if the frig is off or not calling for cooling or on LP.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

What is the ambient temperature ? If it is low the amp draw will be less. Mine will draw as little as 18 and as high as 21.

Also what is the delta t across the evaporator ?

Let us know.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Airxcel | RV Products Service
Nick
My basement air had the same symtoms as yours. In research If my memory serves me the two causes for low amps., low freon and dirty condensor.
well mine had a freon leak at the #1 compressor. I took it to the authorized repair facility in Burbank, Ca. Where is was diagnosed .
They patched the leak, recharged it and the amps. were back up and cold air again.
I encouage you to use the authorized repair facilities. Here is what I found. Every winnebago dealer or RV repair place said bring it in, I will fix it.
When I asked them if they had the equipment to do a repair and evacuation of the system, none did. After your system is repaired it must be avacuated a number of times and recharged.
Hope your repair is simple, mine was not. When it was diagnosed, they pulled it from my coach, I came back 4 days later and they reinstalled it.and test ran it
They also installed a hard start kit.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Nick

read thisevaluating AC performance. Its from the RVP website. On pg. 3 it list the causes of low amp. draw.
Also excellent as it also lists the various draws from average temperature.
By the way as befor my amps dropped to the levels you now have., now after the 2nd. comp. kicks in I see 24-27 amps depending I'm sure on what the converter is doing at the moment. It creeps up some as the day goes on and it get hotter.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_doc...8100910420.pdf

A better clicky
Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documen...data_copy2.pdf

Some more interesting facts.
It shows that under normal temps. with both pumps running the amp. draw would be 24.7, one compressor would be 14.6 amps.
I do beleive I have the right package chosen. However corect me if wrong.
This would be a brand new unit. However after repair mine does perform withing these paremeters.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

all the above is assuming everyone has 115vac, supply, current will vary with supply voltage according ohms law and we all know that supply voltage will vary at campgrounds and even some generators.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

RC, thanks for all of the info.

It certainly looks like I have a problem as I appear to be drawing only about 16 amps with the refer on propane and the electric water heater off. That is a long way off from the 23 that I used to see and the 24 based upon the specs you provided. One good thing is that I found an outfit that works on basement AC listed on the Airxcel website.

Wish me luck as it has been quite a week with a broken windshield, loss of 12v power and the AC.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Your welcome Nick, and good luck with your repair.