Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement air/heat operation?

I have found that sometimes my furnace runs and sometimes my basement heat runs. I have the thermostat set all the way to the right past furnace. What gives? Is this working right?
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

The set temp must be less than 5* above the room temp for the gas furnace to remain off. If you r set temp is 5* or more than the room temp the gas heat will come on along with the heat pump until set temp is reached and then the heat pump will maintain the set temp.
If the outside temp is below about 38* the heat pump will not operate and the t'stat will default to the gas furnace. If yours is not working like described here then you may have a t'stat problem.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The True Air system is set up to use your LP furnace to supplement the heat pump if the temp differential (between the actual temp and your temp setting) is 5 degrees or more and/or if the outside temp falls below a level that would allow the heat pump to work.

For example, if you have the selector on 'Elec Heat' and the temp inside the coach is say 65F and you set the T-stat to 72F, both the heat pump and the gas furnace will run to reach the desired temp. Once the temp is achieved, only the heat pump will run when the T-stat calls for heat as long as the outside temp is generally about 36F (varies with each system and humidity).

Or, suppose you have the temp set for 72 and the outside temp falls to 34F, the heat pump may lock out and only the LP furnace will run.

**Looks like KIX and I responded at the same time.....
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We run an electric heater along with the heat-pump to lessen the cycling of the gas furnace.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have two roof heat pump and in florida through the winter, I don,t need or want the furnace to run, so just installed a $2 dollar toggle switch between the therostat and the furnace and in the off or open position the heat pump runs no matter what the temp is (down to the high 30s) and If I want the gas furnace I just flip the switch.
I found the correct colored wire from my therostat to furnace by lookin in the manual for both. cut the wire and installed the switch
Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
I have two roof heat pump and in florida through the winter, I don,t need or want the furnace to run, so just installed a $2 dollar toggle switch between the therostat and the furnace and in the off or open position the heat pump runs no matter what the temp is (down to the high 30s) and If I want the gas furnace I just flip the switch.
I found the correct colored wire from my therostat to furnace by lookin in the manual for both. cut the wire and installed the switch
I understand what you did and it should work. However how well does you heat pumps work down in the 30's? Mine is not very efficient much below 45 degrees. I understand they can freeze up if ran when too cold.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I also put a switch on my unit, but it was to keep the furnace fom coming on when I carried bikes on the hitch (right in front of the furnace outlet). But it also comes in very handy when I want to bring up the heat in the morning (when outdoor temps are moderate) without the gas coming on because I go beyond the 5 deg limit.

When nites get colder, I turn on the switch before going to bed. If I forget, I get a nudge when the temp gets below Sharon's tolerance.

The switch won' affect the heatpump operation, it will turn off when the thermister reaches its lower limit.

It is best to switch to gas only when temps get low, because after the 3rd lockout, the tstat goes into a failsafe mode, and the gas will not heat above about 65 deg.