Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #1

Just a heads up...checked my basement air conditioner filter and it was completely FILTHY after the basement air ran for about 2 weeks....These things get dirty fast!

Replaced with cheap replacement....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #2

Just a heads up...checked my basement air conditioner filter and it was completely FILTHY after the basement air ran for about 2 weeks....These things get dirty fast!

Replaced with cheap replacement....
Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Replaced with cheap replacement.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are your lungs cheap? Consider a Micro Alergen filter with a 1000 or better rating.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Replaced with cheap replacement.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are your lungs cheap? Consider a Micro Alergen filter with a 1000 or better rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear the cheapo ones allow more airflow for these basement type air conditioners....thats what I am looking for.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Frontranger, That was my thnking to, to move more air across the coil--I even put in
a fiberous filter, when I was a young man they callled them horse hair filters!!
They were good to keep out small animals and large flies. Sort of like a K&N filter!!
But then I found out the second comp. was not being picked up ever time. One new thermo
stat form RVP, now I be coooll! TENN.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Replaced with cheap replacement.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did same thing, although ours never got that dirty. I bought them in a six pack and probably replaced them at an equivalent of less than a week's running time (which would take at least a month on the calendar). Used 5 out of 6 over a season in Florida. Much easier to just toss is automatically rather even think about cleaning it.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We use a good 3M filter - they are expensive but I like clean air

We have encountered really dusty and dirty conditions up here - 90% of all campgrounds in Alaska (and even on our way up here through Canada) are basically a gravel and/or dirt parking lot. The inside of the coach needs to be dusted about every three days .

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hi John glad to hear all is well, enjoy the photos and the blog.

I use the cheap filters in the house and in the Moho, like Dleslie, mine never seem to get very dirty. I run the a/c in the driveway and on short trips. Just a smokey color not any dirt. I think its what you prefer and your health dictates a neighbor has a electric filter and he loves it. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You all are talking about the filters purpose is to clean the air you breath, actually it is to clean the air of dirt so the indoor coil (evaporator) stays clean ,if it gets dirty the air flow decreases and the heat transfer will decrease less cooling.So I would suggest using a either a high quality pleated filter or electrostatic as John uses.I use a 14"X20"X2"Pleated Filter.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

14" X 20" X 2" ? I use a 14" X 20" X 1" , the 2" are to thick. Pleated filter or one from enviortec, I think thats what its called. Dence pink material. Change it seasonally. Never that dirty.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I used to use a micro pleated filter but I seemed to remember reading someone had problems with their basement air because the pleated ones didn't allow enough air flow, so I went to a cheaper type from Ace Hardware and spray it with a Filter Charge (adhesive spray makes disposable filters more effective). Still don't know which way is best. Mine runs intermittently whenever the outside temp is below 74 -75 degrees whichever type filter is used.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

bobpie
I use the 2" thick filter because there is more surfase area and less air restriction.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote