Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone had a problem with their Winnebago basement air only running 5-8 minutes at a time when outside temperature is around 75, but inside temerature is 79 and room thermostat is set at 74? But if outside temperature is 85-95 it will run continously until the room temperature gets down to where the thermostat is set, whether 74, 75, 76 or whatever. It does this whether hooked up to 50 or 30 amps. This is on a 2004 Meridian, 1 1/2 years old, and just used on 3 short vacations. Is this the character of the monster or can something be wrong? I haven't called a dealer yet since my selling dealer went out of business and any other ones usually say to make an appointment for 4-6 weeks out and we'll look at it. I thought I was having problems with the water pump and they said to make an appointment so they could walk out into the parking lot and listen to it run. Probably would have taken every bit of 10 minutes. Any suggestions on the air conditioner greatly appreciated.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36'
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone had a problem with their Winnebago basement air only running 5-8 minutes at a time when outside temperature is around 75, but inside temerature is 79 and room thermostat is set at 74? But if outside temperature is 85-95 it will run continously until the room temperature gets down to where the thermostat is set, whether 74, 75, 76 or whatever. It does this whether hooked up to 50 or 30 amps. This is on a 2004 Meridian, 1 1/2 years old, and just used on 3 short vacations. Is this the character of the monster or can something be wrong? I haven't called a dealer yet since my selling dealer went out of business and any other ones usually say to make an appointment for 4-6 weeks out and we'll look at it. I thought I was having problems with the water pump and they said to make an appointment so they could walk out into the parking lot and listen to it run. Probably would have taken every bit of 10 minutes. Any suggestions on the air conditioner greatly appreciated.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36'
Old 07-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #3

....without measuring the output and the input I say by your description it is doing it's job.....if you were having short cycling at 85 degrees you are low on freon and freezing up.....geofkaye
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

wagonmaster2, try searching in the Winnie forum, there's a lot of helpful threads on the A/C operation.
One that I recall said to try aiming the kitchen ceiling duct output more directly at the wall thermostat (opposite of what you'd think you should do). There may also be a hysteris (time on/time off) adjustment inside the thermostat, but I'd call the thermostat mfgr. before tampering in there.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

First and most obvious is to see if you have a clean filter and good air flow on the unit. Low air flow due to dirty filters, dirty coils and running the fan on low are 90%+ of the A/C problems. It is a rare occurence to have one low on refrigerant charge, but is can happen.

Another quick check is to be sure you are not blowing cold air direct on the t'stat...this will cause a short cycle.

The t'stats used in RV's are basically cheap junk (and over priced) that tend to have a large amount of hysteris (swing between on and off.

WHile you are running, check the air temp into and out of the A/C unit. It should be making about 20 dF difference across the coil. Much more and it is a pretty god indication of low air flow or possibly low refrigerant.

Ken
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the info. I'll try the Winnie forum. To further clarify the problem, when outside temp is 75 (inside at 79) and thermostat is at 74, it will cycle off at 77, back on and off again at 76 maybe couple of times, then off at 75,back on again and finally stop at 74. If outside is 85-95 and same settings, it will run continously from 79 down to maybe even 73 before it cycles off the first time. it will drop the inside temperature faster when outside is 85 than it will when outside is 75 and inside is starting at 79 (setting closed up in the sun get inside temp higher than outside is.
Wagonmaster2
Old 07-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The temperature reflected on my T-stat bears no resemblance to the real temp. It shuts on and off pretty much per the temperature as set and reading, but put another and accurate thermometer next to your T-stat and see what you get.
imgoin4it2 is offline   Reply With Quote