Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement air

I have a 2004 40 ft. Winnebago Vectra. I read that a/c will only run one compressor with the generator and both compressors when hooked up to shore power. Is this true? Just doesn't seem to cool like it should with generator. Just bought the coach so haven't tried shore power yet.
Ks4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It should run both compressors on the genset and also on 30 amp service as long as not much else is on.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ed....had the washer/dryer on to make sure it worked properly. Maybe to much of a load. Air volume out of vents seems to be plenty strong. Pretty humid here in houston.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks4857 View Post
I have a 2004 40 ft. Winnebago Vectra. I read that a/c will only run one compressor with the generator and both compressors when hooked up to shore power. Is this true? Just doesn't seem to cool like it should with generator. Just bought the coach so haven't tried shore power yet.
You might check the generator and see if you have two circuit breakers or one and make sure both of them are cycled correctly if you have two. The second compressor runs off of the #2 circuit from the generator. I had the same issue with my Itasca when it wouldn't cool properly on generator and it was the #2 circuit breaker thrown. This was a gas Onan 5500 generator and I don't know which one you have in the Vectra.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan I'll check the breakers. I have a 7500 watt diesel generator.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In addition to the genset breakers, there are separate breakers for each compressor in the coaches main circuit breaker panel. The #1 compressor will run with #2 breaker off, when #1 is off neither compressor will run.

To locate a wealth of information on the Coleman-Mach basement air conditioner/heat pump, use the search feature in the page header, searching for basement air in this Winnebago forum
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ray.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Another thing to do is crawl up under the right rear where the ac duct comes out of the ac unit and goes up that square duct toward the ceiling. They have a tendency to come apart at the seam and you will lose cold air. They are easily taped back with a good quality aluminum tape as long as you can reach the area.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Another thing to do is crawl up under the right rear where the ac duct comes out of the ac unit and goes up that square duct toward the ceiling. They have a tendency to come apart at the seam and you will lose cold air. They are easily taped back with a good quality aluminum tape as long as you can reach the area.
Yup! Mine was split in the corners about half-way up. Aluminum duct tape and a short length of broom handle allowed me to re-seal the plenum. It sure made a big difference in cooling. Wipe the dust off first and the tape sticks very well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote