Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know what it costs to replace the basement air unit?
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know what it costs to replace the basement air unit?
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: A lot. Have you looked into getting it repaired? Is it the compressor or something else?
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Most residential HVAC technicians are able to troubleshoot and repair a basement air unit and do so at much more reasonable rates than an RV dealer.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You are looking at $2000.0 to $3000.0 with labor. It cost me a little over $1000.0 to have mine repaired last year. New compressor(#1)was around $380.0 rest was labor.

Biggest problem is the unit has to be removed to be worked on. Not a one man job.
Need some kind of jack or lift to lower A/C unit and put back in. Not many home Heating & Cooling would have this equipment.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SEMO Mike:
Does anyone know what it costs to replace the basement air unit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are two units available at ronthebusnut.com. Both new, one for $750 and one for $850. I have purchased from them and had no problems.

http://www.ronthebusnut.com/browseDisp_715.html

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a service contract and just had our basement unit totally replaced with a brand new one. It was covered under our contract, but the bill for the unit was over $2,500 on paper. We just paid oue $175 deductible, of course. I'm sure that everyone involved charged top dollar for everything since it was covered by the XtraRide Progressive, but I just thought I'd share what was billed for our new unit.
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It cost me a little over $1000.0 to have mine repaired last year. New compressor(#1)was around $380.0 rest was labor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow!!! I've had mine pulled four times by four service facilities ...twice different dealers failed to properly diagnose the problem and just blamed noise on need for lubrication. Labor was $300 once, nearly $400 the other time. Second and fourth times were to replace the inner blower motor, and then 8 mo later the outer blower motor. Each time w/blower motor total cost was just over $500 with motor being apx $160 of the total and the rest labor. The tech at Flint Hills RV in Andover KS near Wichita was amazing. He removed the unit by himself in apx 20 minutes, sliding it out and onto a little wheeled cart, leaving the electrical hooked up so he could trouble-shoot and repair it right there!

The only unit I know of that had to be replaced had the electronics seriously fried. Otherwise, I don't know why it would not be able to be repaired.