Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Got the new relay and start kits today. #2 compresser wasn't working and visual damage to #2 relay was obvious. Changed that out and all worked fine. I then tried to run the system on generator. Although I got 120 vac at each compressor treminal, #2 relay started to get hot and melt when it called for #2 and #2 wouldn't start. Shut it down and called RVP. Great guy, had me take an amp check on each compressor 9 amps on each was good. He's thinking some problem either with the auto switch or generator itself. Confusing cause we're getting enough voltage at each terminal on the board. Quick fix for now, #2 circuit breaker is off on the generator till it see the shop iin the winter. I just hope I can explain this to the tech so he doesn't cook the relays testing my problem. Just thought I'd share.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Got the new relay and start kits today. #2 compresser wasn't working and visual damage to #2 relay was obvious. Changed that out and all worked fine. I then tried to run the system on generator. Although I got 120 vac at each compressor treminal, #2 relay started to get hot and melt when it called for #2 and #2 wouldn't start. Shut it down and called RVP. Great guy, had me take an amp check on each compressor 9 amps on each was good. He's thinking some problem either with the auto switch or generator itself. Confusing cause we're getting enough voltage at each terminal on the board. Quick fix for now, #2 circuit breaker is off on the generator till it see the shop iin the winter. I just hope I can explain this to the tech so he doesn't cook the relays testing my problem. Just thought I'd share.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

C'mon guy's over 100 hits and no replies? Help me out here.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, I can't help, but did find all of the service manuals for my basement air on the RVP website ? They were a godsend when I had a blower problem recently.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tim,
I've got what my AC guy says is a lockedup compressor(#2). I had changed the start capacitor & start device on it to no avail. I did not see any relays in the electrical compartment, your MH is newer so they might not be the same, although I've looked at newer schematics & didn't see any relays.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
Got the new relay and start kits today. #2 compresser wasn't working and visual damage to #2 relay was obvious. Changed that out and all worked fine. I then tried to run the system on generator. Although I got 120 vac at each compressor treminal, #2 relay started to get hot and melt when it called for #2 and #2 wouldn't start. Shut it down and called RVP. Great guy, had me take an amp check on each compressor 9 amps on each was good. He's thinking some problem either with the auto switch or generator itself. Confusing cause we're getting enough voltage at each terminal on the board. Quick fix for now, #2 circuit breaker is off on the generator till it see the shop iin the winter. I just hope I can explain this to the tech so he doesn't cook the relays testing my problem. Just thought I'd share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

Your #2 compressor is on the 30 amp side of your generator along with your house panel inside the coach while your #1 compressor is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit coming straight from the generator. The transfer switch re-routes this when it switches from shore power to generator and could be the culprit. What happens when you run a high draw appliance such as the microwave when on the generator?

My coach is one year older than yours and my swichgear had to be replace one year ago for a simular problem. The previous owner had gone so far as to reverse the 20 and 30 amp leads in the generator in an attempt to get past this which had only made matters worse.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Neil, when I check the voltage at the A/C unit and turn off #2 breaker at the generator or inside the rig, the voltage read at #2 is 0. As far as the microwave it runs fine on the generator.Are you saying that the transfer switch is supposed to swap the feed from the generator and take #2 off circuit 1?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred B.:
Tim,
I've got what my AC guy says is a lockedup compressor(#2). I had changed the start capacitor & start device on it to no avail. I did not see any relays in the electrical compartment, your MH is newer so they might not be the same, although I've looked at newer schematics & didn't see any relays. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Fred but that's not my case. # 2 works now that I changed the relay while on shore power. If you open the control panel you should see a circuit board, start and run caps and relays. This is a Coleman -Mach 6535 heat pump
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
Neil, when I check the voltage at the A/C unit and turn off #2 breaker at the generator or inside the rig, the voltage read at #2 is 0. As far as the microwave it runs fine on the generator.Are you saying that the transfer switch is supposed to swap the feed from the generator and take #2 off circuit 1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

When running on shore power your entire coach is on one 30 amp feed however when you are running on the generator you now have a 30 amp and a 20 amp feed comming off the generator. So when the generator is running the transfer switch is wired so that compressor one is switched to be powered by the 20 amp feed and compressor two is running off the house panel on the generators 30 amp feed.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ok... so what confuses me is that when I turn off the 20 amp breaker, I get 0 voltage at #2 compresser connections, but 120 at #1 is constant. The same happens when on shore power when I turn off the breaker inside the coach listed as A/C #2. Just for kicks do you think I should change out the #2 start relay?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ok... so what confuses me is that when I turn off the 20 amp breaker, I get 0 voltage at #2 compresser connections, but 120 at #1 is constant. The same happens when on shore power when I turn off the breaker inside the coach listed as A/C #2. Just for kicks do you think I should change out the #2 start relay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the 20 breaker on the generator turns off compressor #2 then something is wrong. Compressor #2 is supposed to stay on the 30 amp breaker in the generator so it is switched on an off by power management while compressor #1 should be on the 20 amp breaker and not affecting power management. This gives you a more usable coach when on the generator.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Ok... so what confuses me is that when I turn off the 20 amp breaker, I get 0 voltage at #2 compresser connections, but 120 at #1 is constant. The same happens when on shore power when I turn off the breaker inside the coach listed as A/C #2. Just for kicks do you think I should change out the #2 start relay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the 20 breaker on the generator turns off compressor #2 then something is wrong. Compressor #2 is supposed to stay on the 30 amp breaker in the generator so it is switched on an off by power management while compressor #1 should be on the 20 amp breaker and not affecting power management. This gives you a more usable coach when on the generator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had the power management work properly in the past when on shore power. I'm wondering if some wires got switched the last 2 times this unit was out. Back to the drawing board I guess.....
Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I fired off a letter to Winnebago the other day detailing my problem and included copies this discussion, and, today the phone rang. I spoke at length with an electrician there. His analysis, a cycle problem with the 20 amp circuit of the generator. He suggests I try to find an Onan repair facility to test it. Also he says that the #2 compresser is fed by the 20 amp circuit of the generator thru the transfer switch and does not go into the coach panel at all,and is not on the 30 amp side of the generator, therefore, when on generator power, #2 should not give any additional readout on the EMS panel. That being said I'll leave the 20 amp breaker off until I can get this resolved.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I fired off a letter to Winnebago the other day detailing my problem and included copies this discussion, and, today the phone rang. I spoke at length with an electrician there. His analysis, a cycle problem with the 20 amp circuit of the generator. He suggests I try to find an Onan repair facility to test it. Also he says that the #2 compresser is fed by the 20 amp circuit of the generator thru the transfer switch and does not go into the coach panel at all,and is not on the 30 amp side of the generator, therefore, when on generator power, #2 should not give any additional readout on the EMS panel. That being said I'll leave the 20 amp breaker off until I can get this resolved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should of known they had it backwards. My info came from the service advisors at LazyDays. My generator was constantly shutting down on top of it all so I would suppose they had the house on the 20 amp generator circuit and the second ac on the 30 amp instead of what they told me. At least mine works correctly now.

Glad you got your info from Winnebago, let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Should of known they had it backwards. My info came from the service advisors at LazyDays. My generator was constantly shutting down on top of it all so I would suppose they had the house on the 20 amp generator circuit and the second ac on the 30 amp instead of what they told me. At least mine works correctly now.

Neil V </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that I know that I'm not supposed to get a reading inside I may just fire it all up again and keep a close eye on the relay and see what happens. Maybe I'll order a spare first.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Should of known they had it backwards. My info came from the service advisors at LazyDays. My generator was constantly shutting down on top of it all so I would suppose they had the house on the 20 amp generator circuit and the second ac on the 30 amp instead of what they told me. At least mine works correctly now.

Now that I know that I'm not supposed to get a reading inside I may just fire it all up again and keep a close eye on the relay and see what happens. Maybe I'll order a spare first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was able to borrow a meter to check the cycles as the Winnie guy said. Before doing that I went over every connection I could get my hands on. Ok, Fire in the Hole! The generator readout was 60 Hz +- 1 on and off load at 120 volts at each A/C connection. Turned on the A/c EMS read 17 till #2 kicked in then dropped to 14 amps on the meter. Watched the circuit board for any telltale signs, smoke heat, whatever. Bottom line Gremlins Gone! So, take your pick maybe I was over reacting but I learned that you can seek help from some of these Techs on the phone and save time and money. Thanks to all responded.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post

Now that I know that I'm not supposed to get a reading inside I may just fire it all up again and keep a close eye on the relay and see what happens. Maybe I'll order a spare first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was able to borrow a meter to check the cycles as the Winnie guy said. Before doing that I went over every connection I could get my hands on. Ok, Fire in the Hole! The generator readout was 60 Hz +- 1 on and off load at 120 volts at each A/C connection. Turned on the A/c EMS read 17 till #2 kicked in then dropped to 14 amps on the meter. Watched the circuit board for any telltale signs, smoke heat, whatever. Bottom line Gremlins Gone! So, take your pick maybe I was over reacting but I learned that you can seek help from some of these Techs on the phone and save time and money. Thanks to all responded.
Little update here.....last fall/summer had a problem with the generator starting. Short story, brushes hung up but in troubleshoot found some fried wire at the transfer switch and all those terminals were loose....worth a check from time to time
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Heat Pump Inop

My heat pump on 06 Journey will not come on. Both A/Cs seem to work fine. When put on Elect Heat it will start and then shut down and "Off" will display on the thermostat readout. What do you think my problem is? Thanks. Grant Hachmann
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
My heat pump on 06 Journey will not come on. Both A/Cs seem to work fine. When put on Elect Heat it will start and then shut down and "Off" will display on the thermostat readout. What do you think my problem is? Thanks. Grant Hachmann
Out of my league but I'm sure you'll get an answer on here sooner or later.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH
So the Air Conditioning part works fine, as in cold air but the heat does not.

Maybe a bad reversing valve or solenoid ?