Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
.... Now I'm not sure if we have a plastic or a metal blower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John - I was viewing the pic's of you're a/c swap-out. When I saw the last shot of the ID sticker I noticed it has the complete model number (top left) and serial # (top right).
With that info, if you call Kieth at RVP service 316-832-3417, I bet he can tell you whether you have a plastic or metal squirrel cage in your new unit.

I also noticed that the big diesel engine is only a foot or two away from the a/c unit. I wonder how the heat from your engine affects the life expectancy of the a/c components. I wouldn't want to leave the engine running for 30-60 min while stopped on blacktop with the basement a/c on. Sure makes a case for roof mounted a/c.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Anyone have problem with the high speed on the condensor fan not working? Our unit on a 2001 Journey works fine on 1 compressor and low speed on the fan.
We may see if we can get in at Forest city when we cross country next month
Thanks, Randy
Old 06-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
I thought the unit was slide out. From the pictures it looks like it was lowered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is lowered on our chassis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
--snip--I also noticed that the big diesel engine is only a foot or two away from the a/c unit. I wonder how the heat from your engine affects the life expectancy of the a/c components. I wouldn't want to leave the engine running for 30-60 min while stopped on blacktop with the basement a/c on. Sure makes a case for roof mounted a/c. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill - We only let the engine idle for about five minutes assuming we can control the situation (like coming into a rest stop.) Hadn't thought about the collateral heat from the diesel

Randy - download your service manual from the RVP web site. Maybe that will help with the diagnosis.

Ben.. looks like we are well and truly stealing your thread

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Bill , looking forward to inst and pic on how to remove unit. BTW, thanks for info on dbl posts.I dont know how it happened.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
Duner, anything you can share that will enable me to find those bearings adn drop a little oil on them?
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, I see you have a 2004 Adventurer. If you go thru the work to pull the unit, and you have a lot of hours on the a/c and heat pump, I think I would replace with the ball bearing version. If you were oiling the bearing every year, then there may not be much, if any, wear on the bearing. But with no oil added for 4 years, then the condition of the bearing could already be compromised.

I think there are two major contributing factors in my bearing going out sooner than others. #1, for 4 years we dry camp a lot at the sand dunes. Running the generator and a/c in 100+ temps puts that bearing in a very high ambient temperature, and heat kills things much faster. #2, we've been fulltiming for 10 months straight and have put many hours running the a/c last fall, heat pump all thru the winter, and some more a/c this spring.

I called RV Products yesterday and ordered a new blower motor $171, and squirrel cage $47, and $20 shipping. Keith in RVP service, who took my order, said the new plastic squirrel cage still uses the brass bearing (they call it a brass sleeve). He said the new motor is the same as the one used in 2004.

If you wait a couple of weeks, I will post instructions and pictures of the a/c unit removal, the brass bearings, the blower motor replacement, and the new plastic squirrel cage replacement. This is not a complicated job. It's just a pita messing with the output duct work the first time. Now that I have my ducting all re-taped, it will be real easy the next time I touch it. With the help of the neighbor, we slid the unit out on the campground picnic table seat. You pull about 20 screws on the lid, and everything is exposed. None of the electrical is touched so you can fire the unit up with the lid off and see/hear what's going on. It is a little tricky pulling out the blower assy because it is restricted by the cooling lines and you end up folding up some of the delicate alum fins on the condenser coils. I had to use a small screwdriver to bend each fin back in place – a little time consuming but you can't see any damage when it's all back together again.

In the 1000 Trails system of RV parks, a lot of folks are fulltimers. With the sudden heat here in the east coast, there were a lot of a/c units going out. When you do a project like this in the cg, everybody has to come over and see what's going on. Then they tell you about their a/c problem. I've heard a lot of stories by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I hope you are still going to update with pic and inst
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
[ I hope you are still going to update with pic and inst </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too!
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
[ I hope you are still going to update with pic and inst </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too!
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You betcha I will! Just got an email yesterday that the parts have arrived at our next destination. Since we're fulltiming, I wanted to work on it at Uncle Larry's farm in Ohio, and not at a campground. We'll be there in a week, so I should have something posted in about two weeks.
Since I swapped the 2 blower bearings as a bandaid fix, I can now get it to run quiet by letting it run for 10 min (noisy) and then cycle off for 5 min and back on. It will then run quiet for the rest of the day. I don't want to press my luck and sure want to get the new blower/squirrel cage/bearings installed asap, before the next heat wave.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

I've posted the link to the removal/replacement procedure in a new topic here.

There are so many topics on basement A/C problems right now on the forum, I decided a new topic on just how to remove and replace the basement unit was appropriate.