Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement AC coils painted?

The fins on our basement ac were all black at one time. Now they are about half silver and half black. Was this way when be purchased in March. Should I repaint?
Old 09-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't know if paint helps prevent corrosion but you can buy "radiator paint" at NAPA or a similar auto parts store. I've touched mine up just to make it look better. I also bought a fin comb to straighten out the bends that appear for unknown reasons.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've been working on the fins with a small pick. I am about ready for the comb now. Will look for the paint you mentioned. Yes, those bent fins do seem to just APPEAR!!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well,
Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon with the basement A/C and, to the best of my knowledge, the fins have never been painted. I've looked pretty close at them and, I don't think they've been painted. Now, unless there's some miracle paint out there that helps cool or, make your A/C more efficient, I'd probably not re-paint. My thoughts on this would be that, any coating you have on those fins, might make it harder in transferring any heat out of the refrigerant that's running through the tubes.

I'm not an A/C expert by any imagination but, that's just a thought on coating those fins, with any paint. Now, all this is probably negated by the fact that, about 99.9999999999999% of all radiators are painted black from the factory and, radiator repair shops. So, heck, I don't know.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The color black is a good absorber of radiant heat and it is also the best color for emitting heat radiation, hence the use of this color for automotive radiators.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
The color black is a good absorber of radiant heat and it is also the best color for emitting heat radiation, hence the use of this color for automotive radiators.
Well,
I kind-a wonder about the black thing. The reason I say that is, my original radiator in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, was SILVER or, natural aluminum color. It was an Aluminum radiator. Now, the one I installed is a Copper-Brass one and it came black. But, many of the coaches I've seen and been associated with, also have aluminum ones that are un-painted.

And, as far as I know, (which ain't a heck of a lot), I've never seen any aluminum radiator in any hot rod painted either. Not sure why other than, on many of those, they polish the tanks. Hmmm.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon with the basement A/C and, to the best of my knowledge, the fins have never been painted. I've looked pretty close at them and, I don't think they've been painted. Now, unless there's some miracle paint out there that helps cool or, make your A/C more efficient, I'd probably not re-paint. My thoughts on this would be that, any coating you have on those fins, might make it harder in transferring any heat out of the refrigerant that's running through the tubes.

I'm not an A/C expert by any imagination but, that's just a thought on coating those fins, with any paint. Now, all this is probably negated by the fact that, about 99.9999999999999% of all radiators are painted black from the factory and, radiator repair shops. So, heck, I don't know.
Scott
I'm thinking it just comes down to looks. I am leaning towards painting so it looks uniform and somewhat not as noticeable. Looks sorta like a scrambled skunk now!!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It would be so easy to apply too much paint & thus reduce air flow. I would go very light with the painting.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Found this on the Eastwood radiator black site.

Standard engine paints are too thick for radiator use because they can interfere with heat transfer and block air flow between the cooling fins. Also, standard paint tends to flake off radiator tanks. Radiator Black helps solve this problem. Durable Enamel formulation resists temperatures up to 300ºF, gas and chipping. One can covers 6 square feet (most radiators require 2 cans). Net wt. 12 oz. Radiator Black Satin - Many have asked for a lower sheen radiator black. The lower satin sheen resembles the gloss level of modern plastic tank radiators and some imports.

More info...

Tags
paint