Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

basement A/C question

I was in Fl. recently and wanted to run only one of the compressors in the basement but found that I was unable to control just one unit. Have any of you ever tried to put a switch so that you could ron just one unit? The reason I wanted to do it was that I was in a backyard and had a 20 amp service. With both units on it pulled about 23-25 amps.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On your powerline display push the little button until 20 AMP is displayed and it will take care of itself. If you're on 15 or 20 AMPs it just goes to 30; you have to change it yourself.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I did that but was not aware that it would limit the amps. I'll give it a try next time.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
I did that but was not aware that it would limit the amps. I'll give it a try next time.
inspectorudy, The center accomplishes load shedding and it begins to shut down some circuits (appliances) to conserve power.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the info but I still wonder if there would be any advantage to having the ability to run just one compressor. I understand the amp limiter now but if I wanted to not lose any other appliance and wanted to run the one comp. would there be any advantage to it?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Look at your Powerline. The only thing that drops before the second comp. is the electic water heater and if you need hot water then you have propane. This is a wonderful system.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You can also trip the #2 compressor circuit breaker.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Both Post #6 & #7 are the appliances that I would selectively shut down using breakers or a switch if I had to. You may also want to switch the refer over from AC to LP.

I have run our basement AC on 1 compressor on a 20A circuit and it works just fine, slow but it works. You can also adjust the fan speed from Hi to Lo. One thing I would watch if the air in the coach begins feeling weird or damp like. I would jack up the fan speed or cut in the 2nd compressor if you can. Has anyone else experienced this?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I can tell that you guys must have wives that know a lot about amps but my wife needs the hair dryer and the Hollywood lights when she gets out of the shower. We had the situation where we would not be in the MH for about four hours and didn't need to cool it down fast. It seemed like a no brainer to use just one comp. I like the cb idea and will probably use that next time.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My "house" breakerbox is under the bed, and has individual breakers for Compressor #1 and Compressor #2. A few years ago I noticed that #2 was trying to start over and over again but failing. In order to have ac until we could get it repaired I simply turned off the breaker to the #2 compressor and the ac worked fine (with limited cooling capacity) until we could get the #2 start capacitor replaced. I have heard other owners say they regularly use the breaker to keep #2 from trying to start when they are on limited power.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It should be possible to add a switch in the #2 compressor wiring. I've got a '98 Vectra with 2 compressors in the basement. I don't have a powerline, just a switch above my stove that says 30 amp/50 amp. The purpose of the switch is to keep the 2nd compressor from trying to start while on 30 amp service. Just like all other manual setups, I have to remember to switch it back and forth as I change service connections.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if the shop that replaced my a/c control board(after a lightning strike) hooked it up right.

I tried the breaker #2 shutoff for running off my 30amp at home hookup. When I shutoff #2, I do not get any compressor starting, just the inside fan blowing. Tried flipping #1 in case they wired backwards, don't get anything that way.

I am getting both compressors when operating normally, verified by watching the command center. But I have had circuit #2 breaker trip off twice since the new circuit board, never had it trip before.

Man, it never ends does it? Hope it "holds", we leave tomorrow for 3 weeks.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

plenty of "NEW" circuit boards have been known to be bummers right out of the box. Most boards are plug in type wiring connections so it is usually difficult to wire them wrong. Not that it is impossible under murphys law.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote