Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement A/C

We know there must be threads already addressing this question. So, either tell us your thoughts on basement A/C, or point us to other threads. Thanks
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are now owners of our 2nd Winnebago MH with basement A/C. We have not had any problems with either. It cools well and is quieter than our roof airs in previous MHs. We are very happy with our Basement air.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do a search on this site and you will find several discussions. As Don said, it is quieter than most roof units and has served us will. It is backed up by a propane furnace for colder temps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

X3!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
We know there must be threads already addressing this question. So, either tell us your thoughts on basement A/C, or point us to other threads. Thanks
Just for thought, try " bye-bye basement air "
Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
As has been pointed out, yes, there are numerous threads about the "infamous" basement air. Just in case you don't know, the basement air unit is basically a home air conditioning unit, along with a heat pump. It works almost exactly the same. So, with that being said, as usual, you will find some that are and never were, all that happy with it. But, based on the many threads/posts I've read and, also the four coaches we've owned with both roof and basement air, we're pleasantly happy with our basement air.

Some will state it's noisier than roof air but, by and large, the majority of them will state the opposite, that's quieter. I guess it all depends on the individual(s) using either one.

The good points about them are that in most cases, they can be serviced by basic home A/C techs due to the fact that, THEY ARE THE SAME. Another good point is, even the average do-it-yourselfer can actually remove that unit and set it on some saw horses right along side the coach, and service some points on it themselves, and even "bench" test it right there on the saw horses due to the fact that the electrical umbilical cords, stay connected when the unit is serviced in that fashion.

There are normally two systems or, two compressors in those units. One will normally come on and, when the system says it's ok to do so, the second one will come on too.

A bad point about them is, since Winne and Itasca both dropped the basement air a few years ago, it's SLOWLY getting a bit harder to find parts etc. for them. But, not to panic, there are still places that sell brand new ones and, parts. As for noise and efficiency, well, like stated, many like them and some don't. If you're thinking of a coach that has it, my suggestion would be to put that unit through its paces and, see, feel and hear for yourself, how it sounds, how well it works, and what you yourself think is: too noisy, not efficient, works well, what? Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A friend of ours has a 2009 Tour and his unit is extremely loud, so bad that we never sit on his patio when it is running. He and I have always wondered what is it that makes his so loud because we have both seen others not nearly as loud. You would think they would all be the same as far as the noise they make.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
A friend of ours has a 2009 Tour and his unit is extremely loud, so bad that we never sit on his patio when it is running. He and I have always wondered what is it that makes his so loud because we have both seen others not nearly as loud. You would think they would all be the same as far as the noise they make.
Mine was very loud until I pulled the unit and replaced bearings. What a difference in noise level.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Scott "Fire up" express my feelings very well, we like it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Bob, we have wondered if it could be something like that, as it was not that loud when new. It has simply gotten louder over time since new to the point where it is now unbearable.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Bob, we have wondered if it could be something like that, as it was not that loud when new. It has simply gotten louder over time since new to the point where it is now unbearable.
If mechanically inclined you can pull the unit and replace the bearings. I did it myself but would have been easier with a little help. Probably a couple hours to get it out, a few minutes to replace the bearings and a couple hours getting it back in - at least that's the way I remember it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well,
The first thing is, what's meant by "loud"? Are you talking squealing, rubbing, fan air noise, motor noise, what? What Bob primarily is talking about is a sort of, kind of, banging, shaft turning, semi-grinding noise. All of which is indicative of bad bearing. Well, to those that don't know, the basement air units, while a good unit and actually puts out a ton (or two tons actually) of A/C, the morons decided to cheapen out and install bronze, lubable bushings for the fans.

Talk about "Mad Max" archaic thought processes in the 21st century Well, what Bob and I and a few others have done is, simply remove that A/C unit from it's cradle, set it on some saw horses or, what ever would work for you and, remove just some of the sheet metal surrounding the unit. Mostly just the top is fine.

Then that will reveal the bronze bushing in it's housing. It's the kind like you used to see in the 20's through the 50s for motor bushings. You lift up a tiny little hatch/door and drop a few drops of 3-in-1 oil and, you're good for a month. Well, those air heads want you to do that, in a $2,000 dollar basement A/C unit, that you have to completely remove from the coach, in order to do it. Now that's some serious wrong there.

So, what we did was, simply remove that bronze bushing and, install in its place, a $19.00 permenantly lubed, sealed bearing. Talk about a worlds difference. Now, there's also better and quieter fans that can be purchased and installed that are supposedly more efficient and quieter than the originals. I may get around to picking up some of those too, at a later date, we'll see.

Anyway, that's what most of the NOISE that most hear on those is, a bad bushing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You are all such wonderful people to take your time and write about this topic. I feel very fortunate that you are ready to share your time and knowledge. Thank you again and again.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

On my Itasca 37H and I assume the Journey 37H also, the return air is right next to the bed. This makes it quite loud from fan and compressor noise. That said, it can be a benefit in noisy sites, especially Walmart and truck stops. When the noise level outside is high, I will set the fan to constant run to drown out the more objectionable outside noise. Reliability has been fine except for a bad connection at one of the reversing solinoids that required removal of the heavy unit to access.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Here is a good thread to get you started http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/basem...re-248824.html
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have been concerned about pulling out the unit because of the plenum and return connections, isn't there a chance of damage to these? How do they connect to unit?
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We had ours worked on last Fall and it was pretty simple. The tech dropped the unit down out of the coach and worked on it right on the floor. Parts are available on the market from Grainger or other vendors.

Just find a tech that knows what he's doing.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Previous thread with links to almost everything about the basement heat pump unit:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/a-c-...of-158086.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3791 View Post
I have been concerned about pulling out the unit because of the plenum and return connections, isn't there a chance of damage to these? How do they connect to unit?
That is described in detail in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/a-c-...of-158086.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer with basement A/C. If the unit is like a home unit, can the freon / coolant be recharged? Or is it a sealed system?
Jserna is offline   Reply With Quote