Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just wanted to post this for anyone who might be thinking about installing a Cold Air Intake on a Winnebago. I chose the S& B system because its price was very attractive and it looks like a good system and even to the untrained eye, it is easy to see there is going to be much less restriction to the airflow. You can follow this link and find their installation instructions and ordering information: S & B CAI

Tim at Hyperformance Auto was very helpful and the delivery was prompt.

For the most part the instructions are OK. Removing the bracket that holds the original "Tuba" Air Intake in place is quite a chore but just takes time. Getting the harness for the MAF sensor to unclick is another nerve-wracking chore. Once it was out, I used MAF Sensor Cleaner on it as I had previously when changing the conventional filter.

The real excitement came when I put the new intake box in its approximate "home" position and discovered that there was not enough room to get the filter assy in and out of the box as you will have to do to clean it.

Pix of 05 Winny Install shows how it works out.

I now have the Banks exhaust system and the CAI. Most folks say they are not seeing any more MPG even when they have the chip reprogrammed. I agree so far with the Banks exhaust. I have no experience on the addition of the CAI. I think it is a losing proposition but I like to think I'm trying to do something about the ridiculous MPG I'm getting. Does anyone have any experience on the Banks OttoMind for the 8.1L
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just wanted to post this for anyone who might be thinking about installing a Cold Air Intake on a Winnebago. I chose the S& B system because its price was very attractive and it looks like a good system and even to the untrained eye, it is easy to see there is going to be much less restriction to the airflow. You can follow this link and find their installation instructions and ordering information: S & B CAI

Tim at Hyperformance Auto was very helpful and the delivery was prompt.

For the most part the instructions are OK. Removing the bracket that holds the original "Tuba" Air Intake in place is quite a chore but just takes time. Getting the harness for the MAF sensor to unclick is another nerve-wracking chore. Once it was out, I used MAF Sensor Cleaner on it as I had previously when changing the conventional filter.

The real excitement came when I put the new intake box in its approximate "home" position and discovered that there was not enough room to get the filter assy in and out of the box as you will have to do to clean it.

Pix of 05 Winny Install shows how it works out.

I now have the Banks exhaust system and the CAI. Most folks say they are not seeing any more MPG even when they have the chip reprogrammed. I agree so far with the Banks exhaust. I have no experience on the addition of the CAI. I think it is a losing proposition but I like to think I'm trying to do something about the ridiculous MPG I'm getting. Does anyone have any experience on the Banks OttoMind for the 8.1L
Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Fay, I had the same problem with the windshield washer reservior being in the way when installing/removing the cone filter. I took the more difficult approach and ground off the welds holding the ww reservior to the radiator expansion tank and relocated it to the front. Had just enough tubing and wire to do this relo. Took more time and effort but nothing I do ever seems to "bolt right in". I also put a bracket under the filter box to give it additional support.

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

Thanks Terry for the post! I might be looking for a CAI, and that just might be the one as the price is reasonable. (hint hint Ultrapower CAI sponsor!!)

I'm wondering if the Ultrapower CAI tubing comes out a bit farther to move the CAI up toward the front more so you can get in to the filter easier????

How is the noise level under acceleration?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nagavator, Nancy, age undisclosed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry, Is nagavator misspelled or was it a Freudian slip.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comebacks. I'll try to respond in order.

I've thought from the first look that an extra bracket (even a very unprofessional piece of plumber's strap) might feel good. My maiden voyage for this set up was a 600 mile round trip down Mexico 15 to San Carlos, Sonora from Green Valley, just south of Tucson. Plenty of potholes and rough pavement. My main concern was the rubber sleeve that connects the stock intake to the CAI box. It didn't budge. I think allowing the box to float a bit might actually be advantageous reducing the stress at this point. I'm sure this was not an engineering consideration. I will check this connection frequently.

I'm not sure I understand "I'm wondering if the Ultrapower CAI tubing comes out a bit farther to move the CAI up toward the front more so you can get in to the filter easier????" The problem is a function of the height of the box , the diameter of the filter and not enough room overhead. If the Ultrapower box and filter are of the same size and load from the top, I don't think moving it forward will help but I can't be 100% sure. It is very easy to access from the side and was a yoga exercise to even TRY to thread the filter up from below to top load.

I can cover the next two all at once. "Nagavator" is a clever and totally accurate description of the function of the person sitting in the right hand seat coined by a friend. I have borrowed it for my own pleasure since neither of those folks are on this forum. As a very devious test of suspected increased and objectionable noise level, I made absolutely no mention of this possibility to aforesaid crewmember. Although I do note a very unobjectionable new hum (probably almost musical to a true gear head) upon heavier acceleration, there has been nary a comment about it and I will be the last one to bring it up! I have not out and out floored it yet (even when burning $2.71/gal PEMEX Magna) but there's enough other noise when you do this to cover up anything.

I have no opinion on MPG yet. I will tell you all that after having the battery disconnected, the AVE MPG which very much controls my toe pressure must start from square one and I was a very sick puppy for about the first 25 miles.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

01 winne 35u, 8.1 engine...being on a budget, i installed a k&n gauze filter panel in the original airbox. less than $60 from schucks. don't remember the filter number but is the same large panel filter used on the gm turbo diesel truck engine. no noise difference. i also installed a banks ottomind controller ($500) and amsoil syn 0w-30. i use 3oz of acetone per 10 gal reg gas. no mileage improvement numbers yet, but i started with less that 5mpg. i am still looking for 2 each 3 inch 2 bolt flanges to weld on low restriction mufflers, probably magnaflows. lots of 3" 3 bolt flanges avail, but no 2 bolt ones to be found so far.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Thanks Terry for the post! I might be looking for a CAI, and that just might be the one as the price is reasonable. (hint hint Ultrapower CAI sponsor!!)

I'm wondering if the Ultrapower CAI tubing comes out a bit farther to move the CAI up toward the front more so you can get in to the filter easier????

How is the noise level under acceleration? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just installed the S&B CAI on my 2007 W20. From what I've seen the S&B and the UltraPower CAI are the same kit. The additional noise level is only noticeable under hard acceleration or when pulling a hill. I kind of like the sound. Reminds me of a four barrel equipped V8.

I mainly installed the CAI because I got tired of buying a new air filter everytime I drove in the rain. While I don't have any real data to show any improvements in performance or MPG, I think it has helped in both areas. I had the same issues with getting the filter into the box. My solution was to put the filter in the box before mounting the box to the frame.
Marshall316 is offline   Reply With Quote