Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Bad Star - Good Middle - Bad Ending

(Sorry this is so long)

Got to the campground friday afternoon only to discover my jacks and my slide-outs weren't working - hmmmm? The "not in park" light kept coming on - read the manual but really no help. Recalled from previous MH that if your resevoir is not full nothing works. Finding all that was a problem - nothing like the pictures - but find it we did. Ended up adding 3 quarts of hyrdraulic fluid!! Didn't help.

Thanks to this forum and my dealers confirmation the next day, was able to search and find the possible cause and solution, It was the contact switch under the dash - one of the contact wires had come off. Put it on and was back in business. What really bothers me is the 3 quarts I had to add to the tank. Bought this unit new in 08 - everything worked great and I never did check the resevoir. Very surprised it worked at all.

Saturday was great - lot's of fun - no problems.

Sunday was a crappy day - literally. Like something from the movie RV. My wife normally handles all the waste dumping for me (because of my heart transplant) - she was having a hard time with the dump station cap and some how the connection to the coach let loose - what a mess! Cleaned up the site and flushed out the MH - went on our way. Got home and she did a thorough cleaning with bleach.

Ah yes - camping is an adventure.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Remember the good day and log the other two up to experience! That's RVing....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you added 3 qts and the mh is only 1 year old must be leaking somewhere. I had a couple of bad hyd hoses I had to rpl but my unit is 6 years old and I never had to add more than a few capfuls. Btw, I hoped you checked the fluid level with all the jacks/slidouts in.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

hope she didnt use the Y connector like in the movie ............
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Darn Tom, sorry for your problems. Just remember if you balance all your good and bad times you'll still come out ahead with the good times.

Are you still using the hose that came with the MH with the open and close valve? I stopped using it since something similar happened to me when I opened the MH valve with the hose valve shut. I didn't know there where sooooo many pin holes in the hose until it backed up.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
If you added 3 qts and the mh is only 1 year old must be leaking somewhere. I had a couple of bad hyd hoses I had to rpl but my unit is 6 years old and I never had to add more than a few capfuls. Btw, I hoped you checked the fluid level with all the jacks/slidouts in.
I was thinking the same thing. I park on my driveway and have run the jacks and slides numerous times and never saw a drop of fluid anywhere. And yes slideouts and jacks were in.

Going to keep a closer eye on this one because frankly can't believe it was that low.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Darn Tom, sorry for your problems. Just remember if you balance all your good and bad times you'll still come out ahead with the good times.

Are you still using the hose that came with the MH with the open and close valve? I stopped using it since something similar happened to me when I opened the MH valve with the hose valve shut. I didn't know there where sooooo many pin holes in the hose until it backed up.

Tom

Tom,

Yes she used the hose that came with the unit. No leaks but she didn't know that the handle was an open and close function. Had it closed and didn't know it until she took the hose off to see what the problem was - she forgot to shut the valve - wanted to laugh but also wanted to live....
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Tom,
wanted to laugh but also wanted to live....

Good choice
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Tom,

- wanted to laugh but also wanted to live....
That's funny!

Tom, make sure that you don't top off that reservoir, or you will find a "leak" under it soon enough. I had the RF jack replaced at HWH last month, and the tech added too much fluid. He must have known, because he even said "there might be a little too much in there now". But everything worked, so no prob.

A few days after we got back home, it was really hot, and I noticed a foot diameter oil spot under the reservoir tank. Took off the cap, and it was full to the brim. Fluid expanded and found a way out. I ended up finding a small squeeze bottle and hose, and pulled some fluid out. Been fine since.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

How does that song go (From Fiddler on the Roof)

Our great men have written words of wisdom
To be used when hardships must be faced
Life obliges us with hardships
So those words of wisdom
Shall not go to waste

To us, and our misfortune
Be happy, Be healthy, Long life
And if our good fortune never comes
Here's to whatever comes

Drink, Lakiham, to life
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Darn, I wish I had been there with the camcorder....could have won some $$$ an AFV.

Ken
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Well the hardest part of all was to convince her that riding on the roof all the way home wasn't going to too bad........