Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bad smell from crankcase breather tube

We have started to notice a "sewer smell" from rear of our 2002 Winnebago Journey w 330 Cat. We dumped our black tank thinking this was it. It persisted into the next day. I crawled under and discovered it was coming from the crankcase tube. I have smelled old oil before but not like this. any ideas what can cause this?
Our Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

A buddy of mine who was an OTR driver used to complain about the smell of Delvac diesel oil compared to other brands. I never noticed it myself.
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Journey View Post
We have started to notice a "sewer smell" from rear of our 2002 Winnebago Journey w 330 Cat. We dumped our black tank thinking this was it. It persisted into the next day. I crawled under and discovered it was coming from the crankcase tube. I have smelled old oil before but not like this. any ideas what can cause this?
Our Journey
Interesting
I know that gray and black tanks can smell like sewage, as can "charging batteries" and "bad water", but I have never before heard of a sewer smell from a crankcase tube/vent, (aka: slobber tube).
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I thought it was over charging batteries smell. Our chassis batteries have died on us as a matter of fact. We're using house batteries to start until we can have chassis batteries checked. It's one of those "could be" smells! Hope to find out for sure this week.
Our Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We use to run Amalie Motor Oil in our fleet trucks with M11 330HP Cummins engines. When they were getting due for an oil change (around 25K miles) the crankcase breathers would stink to high heaven. Once the oil was changed they'd be fine for another 25K.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
We use to run Amalie Motor Oil in our fleet trucks with M11 330HP Cummins engines. When they were getting due for an oil change (around 25K miles) the crankcase breathers would stink to high heaven. Once the oil was changed they'd be fine for another 25K.
Wow, that was a lot of miles on that engine
M11 Engine Maintenance Schedule:

Every 16,000 km [10,000 mi], 250 Hours or 6 Months

http://www.cumminsbridgeway.com/pdf/...e_Schedule.pdf

Mine in 2000, was 15,000, and the newer engine's today are more I think, 25,000 is a lot.......
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The oil has turned acidic, overdue for oil change.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Wow, that was a lot of miles on that engine
M11 Engine Maintenance Schedule:

Every 16,000 km [10,000 mi], 250 Hours or 6 Months

http://www.cumminsbridgeway.com/pdf/...e_Schedule.pdf

Mine in 2000, was 15,000, and the newer engine's today are more I think, 25,000 is a lot.......
I always thought so too, but our tractors routinely made it to 7-800K miles before going to auction. Oil analysis was done every 6 mo or 50K, whichever came first. There were only couple of cases in my region where engines were rebuilt or replaced.

In an interesting side note, my own tractor (prior to retirement), a 1998 FLD120 Freightliner, had it's engine replaced at 700K in 2009. Two years before I retired. The reason it was replaced was because the crankshaft had snapped during the pull up US46 approaching the GW Bridge in NJ. It was later found that the crankshaft had suffered from metal fatigue and had actually been cracked for some time. The replacement engine came out of another of our trucks that had suffered a wreck at 450K. Maintenance did a rebuild of the replacement and the last I knew the truck is still in use everyday doing local delivery in MA. The decision to replace the engine was because in it's 11 year history that truck had cost the company very little, comparatively speaking and they had another engine readily available.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

How much sulphur content is in motor oil? Does it vary?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Journey View Post

Did anyone say :welcome: yet?

Send a sample to one of the many oil testing labs and get their take on it. The 'acid' comment sound correct and not good. I use Blackstone Labs for my testing. Reasonable and they seem to be good.

Rick Y

Tags
smell