Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Bad Plug Wires

Don't know if this info will stay here or get moved but it may be help to others. Was having problem with my coach shuddering as I traveled to Florida and back - thought it might be tranny but thanks to my local Workhorse dealer found the correct answer.

The answer is: bad spark plug wires. The 4 rear plug wires were bad - does not show up on the diagnostics computer but Workhorse knows about the problem. It is caused by the back 4 wires not getting enough air to them. I asked if this will be a reoccuring problem and was told that usually once changed that they're okay - we'll see. They changed all 8 for me - under warranty thank you very much!!

I was also told there is a kit that you can purchase that runs cool air to the rear of the engine - I am going to check into that.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Tom,
This has been a problem on some models due to the lack of air flow created by the install done by the box manufacturer, not Workhorse. Workhorse has developed a cooling kit that seems to work for all.

You can read all about the plug wire problems on the Workhorse forum.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks

Thanks for the info - will do that.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ruppr typed the facts. It's a coach builder issue, since some coaches do not seem to have the problem.

However there are a couple of safe bets in these forums. I mean, it is a gamble but odds clearly favor the person who bets as follows

Thread title: My spark plug blew out
Engine in his motor home Ford Trition V-10

Thread title: Burned spark plug wires
Engine in his motor home, Chevy Vortec 8.1L V-8

What can I say, it all balances out in the end

Now: to the topic

In addition to what Ruppr said, there are alternative brands of spark plug wires, these can withstand far higher temps than the "Stock" wires, and may address the issue for you..

My personal suggestion is 2 fold.. Said wires (I'm sure someone will post the brand) and the air-flow kit Workhorse retro-fits

But blame the coach maker, NOT workhorse please.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ruppr typed the facts. It's a coach builder issue, since some coaches do not seem to have the problem.

However there are a couple of safe bets in these forums. I mean, it is a gamble but odds clearly favor the person who bets as follows

Thread title: My spark plug blew out
Engine in his motor home Ford Trition V-10

Thread title: Burned spark plug wires
Engine in his motor home, Chevy Vortec 8.1L V-8

What can I say, it all balances out in the end

Now: to the topic

In addition to what Ruppr said, there are alternative brands of spark plug wires, these can withstand far higher temps than the "Stock" wires, and may address the issue for you..

My personal suggestion is 2 fold.. Said wires (I'm sure someone will post the brand) and the air-flow kit Workhorse retro-fits

But blame the coach maker, NOT workhorse please.
Preferred wires made by Taylor...for the 8.1L engine. I bought mine from Summit Racing website @60-70 dollars for set of eight. No more wire problems...41,000 miles. No cooling kit installed. 2006 Itasca Suncruiser.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Rocket Heart, check with Oemy at the website below. He is very Knowledgable and a great guy to deal with.

http://www.oemys-performance.com/index.htm
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem. Workhorse actually replaced all eight plug wires and added the kit for me free of charge. It has solved my problem. The kit is just a couple of four inch vents that bring in cooler air from the grill and dump it at the middle of the bank of spark plugs. Of course the vents have scoops on one end and are properly tied down so they stay in place.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Don't know if this info will stay here or get moved but it may be help to others. Was having problem with my coach shuddering as I traveled to Florida and back - thought it might be tranny but thanks to my local Workhorse dealer found the correct answer.

The answer is: bad spark plug wires. The 4 rear plug wires were bad - does not show up on the diagnostics computer but Workhorse knows about the problem. It is caused by the back 4 wires not getting enough air to them. I asked if this will be a reoccuring problem and was told that usually once changed that they're okay - we'll see. They changed all 8 for me - under warranty thank you very much!!

I was also told there is a kit that you can purchase that runs cool air to the rear of the engine - I am going to check into that.

Rocket Heart:
Here is an excellant source for the plug wires for your MH. I believe the PN is TAY-79286 and they can be bought here. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...alse&N=700+115 You might also consider replacing your OEM sparkplugs with ACDelco #41-993 and gap them at .045. We originally bought the 41-932's but they have since been replaced by the 993's. These would be (2) good alternatives before buying a CAI which is a little pricey and as others have stated might not be necessary.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My recommended priorities for Rocket Heart:

#1. WH Cooling Kit Install (Critical Action Item)

#2. Taylor Wires

#3. Plug Replacement-regap

#4. CAI. Note: In my 2006 Suncruiser, I have the ScanGage installed and monitor both air temp at the engine inlet via the MAF Sensor,...and OAT as per the the Winne Temp Sensor mounted on Dash..The scan gage shows air temp at the MAF Sensor is mostly cooler that the OAT at the lower mounting locations for most custom CAIs. My OE air inlet "Tuba " pipe is located higher from road than most custom CAIs I've seen...and therefore..during most MH road cruise operations..it takes in cooler air..
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Another side

Thanks for the input gang - greatly appreciated. I do have something that sticks in my craw though.

Responsibility. This is and has been a know problem for some time according to what I have learned. Why hasn't it been addressed? Workhorse blames the MH mfg and of course visa versa - my point in all of this is - fix it!!

We should not have to spend our dollars for OEM mistakes to make the coach run correctly. This all started with less than 5000 miles on the odometer. That's just not acceptable to me.

I am going to see what I can do to change it.