Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #1
2005 Sightseer 30B

Backup Lights 2005 Sightseer 30B

Let's face it, the backup lights on my coach are dismal. The brake lights illuminate better! Has anyone done an ADD-ON backup light/spotlight?

I've spoken with 'my' mechanic, and he told me it would be relatively easy for the shop to mount a spotlight or other bright light on the back of the coach to help me SEE when backing my big beast at night.

What I'd like to know, is if anyone else has considered doing this, or has DONE it. If you have added on a spotlight or extra bright light on the back, which light(s) did you use and how well they help out.

Also having air horns installed, as I'm tired of little 4 wheelers that cannot seem to see a 12 foot tall, 30 foot long, 8.5 foot wide, WHITE vehicle. I bought some VERY loud, 4 bell, air horns. Hopefully, if they try to push me out of the lane, I can make it to where they need to change their shorts!
Old 12-14-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

More is better if ...

I don't have any, other than stock, lights on the back of my RV but would suggest that anything is better than OEM.

Having said that and having put may lights onto my various 4x4s (front and rear) I would be careful of the reflectors you get in the lights you chose. What I mean is there are "spot" lights "flood" lights. If you want to look far ahead maybe spots are for you. If you want to see close in front going with flood would be better.

So when you buy some lights to install under or over your rear bumper I'd chose the widest spread of light possible. It wont look as bright behind your vehicle but it will show you more of the the area to the sides.

MTC
Old 12-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

When my third brake light began to fade I swapped it out for one from a Chevrolet/GMC Colorado/Canyon. I wired the cargo lights to a switch and to also come on with the backup lights.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #4
2005 Sightseer 30B

My coach is old enough that there is NO 3rd brake light. If there was, I would definitely use Tim's suggestion. Going by your coach picture, I'd say yours was about the same age as mine. Wonder why yours has one, and mine doesn't.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
2005 Sightseer 30B

WOW! Maybe it DOES have a third brake light!! I'll look in the morning - it is freezing out there tonight. If there IS, I will definitely consider the "Tim" solution! But, Tim, you'll have to let me know how to do the wiring, please? Because I'd have no idea of where to start!
Old 01-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #6
2005 Sightseer 30B

The reason I was unaware of the third brakelight, is because the lens was painted over or otherwise colored white. WHY? I have no idea. But, I'm definitely going to get BACKUP lights mounted where I can actually SEE behind me.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

adding rear lights is not a problem, In fact my MH came with halogen rear docking lights.
My rear docking lights are under the wing on the rear cap. They only come on when the dash switch is on and tranny in reverse because they are as bright as headlights.In fact replacement bulbs are low-beam headlight bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_160343.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	694.2 KB
ID:	185012  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #8
2005 Sightseer 30B

NICE!! Mine is a BIT older than your beauty. I still love it just the same, though!!
Old 10-27-2023, 05:04 AM   #9
2005 Sightseer 30B

OK, it's been a while, but I thought I'd give an update. I ordered some lights from Amazon - about 4" square with some very bright LED lights in each, and had the shop install them on the coach. They are mounted under the rear bumper and properly installed so that they come on when in reverse. WOW! What a difference they make! VERY bright, and I can actually SEE to back up.

They are called tractor lights, but they do a bang up job on the back of the coach!
Old 10-28-2023, 04:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I thought thowe LED lights looked familiar; that's what I put on my farm tractor, they are about 4X as bright as the original sealed beam lamps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, sightseer