Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Backup Camera Pioneer

Does anyone know how to remove the Pioneer radio from the dash? Face plate? I need to check my connections for my back up camera. Have a black screen but when I drive sometimes the picture comes in and out. I check the connections already to the camera in the back of the RV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have a Class C with a Ford chassis, I removed my Pioneer radio to add auxillary input cables and the process is rather laborious. The dash faceplate is attached with bayonet-type connectors and no screws, so its somewhat easy to pull off GENTLY (you don't want to break those bayonets). But the catch is the power leads to the 12v power outlets and the heat/AC controls are very short and I had to disconnect them to move the dash far enough out to access the radio. The heat/AC controls are attached with screws and are very difficult to access. A couple had to be done by feel only. The gearshift lever needs to be moved partway into the process too. Hopefully someone else here knows a better way to do this! There is no way to get your hand behind the radio so indeed it much be pulled to check those connections. Here's something you might be interested in. On Amazon they have some borescopes that attach to smartphones and after downloading the software from the company, one can see into all kinds of nooks and crannies and it has LEDs on the tip to see in the dark. They sell various lengths of the borescopes. I bought the shortest one available at the time - and 8 footer - and it cost only about $20.00.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Back Up Camera

Thank you for your reply. Attached is a picture of mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	170134

I am trying to remove the black face plate. Behind it I am told there are a few screws to remove the radio?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I tried to remove just the black "carbon fiber" part of the dash cover and it didn't want to budge at all. Didn't want to force it too much, so I went to the dealer and they said you have to take the entire assembly off. As I said above, it was quite a process! Once you have moved it far enough, there are indeed just 4 screws holding the radio in place.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You don't say what Winnebago model you have but it must be pretty new to have that radio. Here's how I did it in on my Sunstar LX 27N: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...bt-350697.html
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkishgolf12 View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the Pioneer radio from the dash? Face plate? I need to check my connections for my back up camera. Have a black screen but when I drive sometimes the picture comes in and out. I check the connections already to the camera in the back of the RV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.
On my 2016 Sunstar LX 27N, my display switches to the left camera when the turn signal is turned on to the left, right camera when turning right and reverse camera when backing. It will switch off after all of these events. You can keep the rear camera on all the time by selecting the camera in the Pioneer menu. I leave the back camera on all the time so I can keep an eye on the toad.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all!

So on my Sunstar 29 there are two screws by the outlet and three underneath that at the very bottom. Took those five out and the whole dash popped off. Put the camera plug in tighter. A little electoral tape for good measure and the camera worked.

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mine is a 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q.

Tags
camera