Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Awning support pulling out

Just had new awning put on my aging ultimate freedom 40J. We left the area where we had the unit worked on to arrive at a 1K Trails (Conroe, TX) 93 miles later, and found one of the awning supports had been mounted to the skin with no support behind it and the screws were pulling out of the skin. Short of cutting the skin out, mounting a support plate, then having expensive fiberglass work done to replace the section of skin, I know not what else to do. Any suggestions? I might add that this was an insurance claim that was botched in more ways than just this. they also left off the protective weather shield on the awning and are refusing to own up, insisting I drive the 100 miles back to them. At this time an impossibility due to job commitments where we are to live in our RV on site for the next several months without leaving!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160614-20160614-DSCF9188.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	130770  
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've never seen and awning mount made out of what looks likes sheet metal and lots of Dicor sealant! Every mount we've ever had over the last 50 years has been cast metal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The awning mount is definitely heavy cast. What you see the screws plling out of is the fiberglass skin of the motorhome in a place where there is no backing, just the thin fiberglass and a lightweight backing material.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
The awning mount is definitely heavy cast. What you see the screws plling out of is the fiberglass skin of the motorhome in a place where there is no backing, just the thin fiberglass and a lightweight backing material.

What is on the inside of that wall at the position of the awning attachment?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
Sure doesn't look like a "heavy" casting at all in that picture. Looks like sheet metal with a bunch of sealant between it and the sidewall, but if you say it's a casting.. well, you're closer to it than we are!

Sometimes they had to use bolts all the way through the wall with a backing plate inside if it can be hidden.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore. Can you get behind it to place a wood or metal plate to screw into?
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I might add that this was an insurance claim that was botched in more ways than just this.

There is no excuse for this. Your recourse is within the insurance co. claims department ADJUSTER that handled your claim with this repair facility. DO NOT take NO for an answer. Do not attempt to do any repair to what they have done. I really hate what you are faced with, but it is doable, stand your ground. JMHO and good luck.
David g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sure doesn't look like a "heavy" casting at all in that picture. Looks like sheet metal with a bunch of sealant between it and the sidewall, but if you say it's a casting.. well, you're closer to it than we are!

Sometimes they had to use bolts all the way through the wall with a backing plate inside if it can be hidden.
The mounting plate is about 1/4 " of cast steel or aluminum. There is no problem with it. However, it is mounted at a point below floor level, above the front wheel well with the wheel well body below it. I tried a 14" drill bit and inserted it the entire length, but could find nothing to bite into. I, thinking now of getting a 1/4" piece of plate aluminum long enough to bridge between solid anchor points, painting it to match the skin, then after mounting it solidly, mount the awning bracket to it. Painting it to match the skin of the motorhome should conceal the "riggin'". Maybe doing the same to the back to match. Still looking for worth while alternatives though!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
What is on the inside of that wall at the position of the awning attachment?
Steve, there is nothing at that point and that is the problem. the messed up mount was positioned about 3" below the floor, and several inches above the housing of the front wheel well. I thought of using a long lag screw, but I inserted my longest dill into the existing holes and went 14" without finding anything to drill into . . . FRUSTRATING!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore. Can you get behind it to place a wood or metal plate to screw into?
Powderman, there is no way to get in behind it, short of cutting into the underside of the wheel well.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

What a mess. You have my sympathy. I guess I would try to find a good hardware store, more of a commercial store than retail and tell them your story. I would ask about an expansion type fitting to go into the holes and then the proper size screws to secure it. Ideally they would have screwed into something solid but this might get you by until you can get back to them for a proper fix.

I also would contact the insurance company and inform them and ask them not to pay the claim until it's fixed correctly. That should get the installer right out to you in a hurry!

Tags
awning