Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On our last two trips we have had issues with the big electric awning (curbside). It rolls out OK, but when we are ready to bring it back in, it either won't move or if it does it is e..x..t..r..e..m..e..l..y slow! The firt time it wouldn't move at all without a nudge, then it moved slowly. The next time not at all until we decided to shut down the entire electric load in the coach. By the way, we were plugged in both times and our battery condition was OK. The dealer says it is a low battery, which Winnebago tech confirmed may have been the cause. However, our battery is showing somewhere from 12.6v up to over 13v. So, since it apparently runs off the battery power and our batteries appear to have more than adequate voltage, what do ya'll think? Also, the tech said to make sure that we don't roll it completely out, that if we did, it would "lock" out in that position and not dump or roll back in if the winds come up...thoughts on that? And...if it runs on batteries and it out, then my guess if they go low, it won't come back in? This just seems incredibly silly to have an "automatic" roll in which only works on battery power! And only works if you have more than adequate battery power. Hmmm...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On our last two trips we have had issues with the big electric awning (curbside). It rolls out OK, but when we are ready to bring it back in, it either won't move or if it does it is e..x..t..r..e..m..e..l..y slow! The firt time it wouldn't move at all without a nudge, then it moved slowly. The next time not at all until we decided to shut down the entire electric load in the coach. By the way, we were plugged in both times and our battery condition was OK. The dealer says it is a low battery, which Winnebago tech confirmed may have been the cause. However, our battery is showing somewhere from 12.6v up to over 13v. So, since it apparently runs off the battery power and our batteries appear to have more than adequate voltage, what do ya'll think? Also, the tech said to make sure that we don't roll it completely out, that if we did, it would "lock" out in that position and not dump or roll back in if the winds come up...thoughts on that? And...if it runs on batteries and it out, then my guess if they go low, it won't come back in? This just seems incredibly silly to have an "automatic" roll in which only works on battery power! And only works if you have more than adequate battery power. Hmmm...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You are lacking a GOOD ground to the
awning motor, IMO corrosion!!!!TENN.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would also check inside the control box. I have seen corrosion on wires & relays in there on other rigs.

I am not real sure, but I think the awning runs off chassis battery, you may try boost switch.

I run mine out all the way & it doesn't lock in place. Wind sensor will bring it in just fine. I'm not sure about the dumping feature, but it should work when awning is fully deployed, IMHO. We've never had to use that feature yet.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow - what timing! We just got back from an all-day service experience in Wichita, Kansas to have our entire AC unit replaced (pictures and a story will be posted in a couple of days) and we have a similar issue with our awning.

Our *new* A&E Weather Pro awning (some will remember our original awning wound up in a twisted, broken mess in May because it would never dump water and it..filled up with water and broke) exhibits the same symptoms as yours.

It groans and moves very slowly on retract. I measured a good voltage at the motor connector near the end of the forward arm.

The techs today decided my awning problem is a bad motor and they have seen bad motors before in new awnings. Your should roll up with vigor regardless if you are on batteries or shore power.

A word about how far to extend the awning. *PLEASE* roll it all the way out - the tech doesn't know what he is talking about. There should be a slot at the very bottom for you to hang your lights or Patty O' Shade cloth.

The farther out it rolls, the greater the angle it will achieve and the better it will work as advertised and actually dump water.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had an A&E rep look at our slow and growning motor. He sent me a new motor. I will be installing it it the next couple of days.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My awning on my new 07 Journey also bit the bullet. It will go out slowly but then not retract until you get up on a ladder and push. Goes in about a foot and stops until pushed again and again.

Dealer looked at it an the motor is bad. New one ordered in for a 6 October service date.

My WB dealer, Reines, of Manassas, VA, has been excellent in getting all of the new MH bugs taken care of.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our coach is going in for the same exact problem. Luckily Dometic is extending our labor and parts portion of the warrenty for 30 days since we are right at the 2 year portion of our warrenty. It sounds like they had a bad batch of motors go out of their plant.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #9

Not trying to hijack this thread, but the issue of "dumping" was brought up.

Many owners find that the electric awning dumps better if when you extend it, you extend it so the awning material is EVEN to the top of the roller bar and not all the way out where the awning material is slightly below the top of the roller bar. Maybe that is what the tech was trying to say.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hello group! Thank you all for your responses.

I have printed the thread, will call the awning folks today and get a tech name and recommendation for repair to take to my dealer. We tried the awning on this last trip and it worked...slowly. So we just left it in and didn't use it.

Again, you can't imagine how much I have learned from this forum, and how much I appreciate that you all take the time to answer questions posted!

As for the dealership in Manassas VA, I love those folks. We first looked at MH's there, they sold me on Winnibago's, but we moved and purchased elsewhere. Recently we returned to VA and picked up a rock on the windshield, I called them and they recommended their "glass guy" who did a marvelous job of repair!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We have had several new motors, control boxes and 1 sensor and our awning still doesn't work reliably. We have been told by several service tecs that the motors are too small for the awning. Two of our friends have had their awnings changed to manual. It leaves 1 hole on each side of the arm. We never know when ours is going to come in, the first or after several tries...lol If we ever get another coach, it will not have a Dometic awning. Good Luck
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but the issue of "dumping" was brought up.

Many owners find that the electric awning dumps better if when you extend it, you extend it so the awning material is EVEN to the top of the roller bar and not all the way out where the awning material is slightly below the top of the roller bar. Maybe that is what the tech was trying to say..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I thought somebody told me about not extending the awning out all the way. I have since concluded this is completely wrong.The awning needs to be fully extended for the dump to work properly because a full extension provides the greatest down angle. This angle is critical for the awning to dump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
We have had several new motors, control boxes and 1 sensor and our awning still doesn't work reliably. We have been told by several service tecs that the motors are too small for the awning.--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I find that proclamation by the techs extremely difficult to swallow. Our first awning ran in and out just fine for two years - it just didn't dump water

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I've been thru the awning drill. Now have my fifth set of control boxes/wind sensors installed; also recently installed a new motor because of slow (to zero) retraction. After new motor installed, still had somewhat slow retraction. The Tech called A&E and found the spring was not rolled up tight enough (17 turns), from when CW had installed new vinyl sheeting. Tightened spring to 14 turns (max he could do without a helper bar) & awning retracted ok.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote