Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Awning Arms Off Alignment

We have had some pretty fierce winds the past two weekend in FL and our awning arms do not align with the supports on the sides when I roll up the awning. Is this caused by the awning moving on the lower bar(retractable arm) or are the hinges/ hardware bent? Thanks
Jack_Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Sounds like the awning shifted/slid on the lower tube, you should be able to slide it back. But, with fierce winds, why would you leave the awning down?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tim,
Thanks. We actually did raise the awning but it must have shifted anyway. Interestingly, there are folks here who did not close theirs-they are pegged down heavily, I guess.
Thanks
Jack_Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If your MH is not close to leval. The frame could be twisted just enough to not allow the arms to line up. Have had this happen before.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure which specific awning you have, but for A&E there are some adjustments that you can do yourself. First, check to make sure the fabric is centered in the lower roller. The distance to each end of the roller, from the end of the awning should be equal on both sides. Next, the mounting brackets at the upper point on the motorhome have some minor adjustment in them. Simply loosen the bolts and the bracket will slide forward or back.

Hope this is of some help.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had the same mis-alignment issue on our A&E electric awning. The fabric had shifted in the roller tube.

3-TTT's helped me realign it. With the awning extended, pull the fabric on the side which has the longer end gap.

It will be easier to do this if someone else lifts up the other end slightly to take the pressure off the fabric.

When it is back in alignment they said to place a small amount of silicone on each end to keep the fabric from moving again.

It only took a movement of about 1/2 inch to bring it back into alignment.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I got caught with my awning down two weeks ago at Thousand Trails in Clermont and the awning shifted on the roller tube. I could not close the awning afterwards so I opened it fully and used a heavy duty DeFlapper mounted near the roller tube to slide the fabric back into position and got things line up again.

It happens.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Mine moves constantly. (A&E Electric One Step)Usually every few weeks it has to be adjusted. Pull the lower end of the fabric slightly one way or the other until the rails line up. Sometime its it takes several ups and downs with the awning to get it right. Use a small step ladder pull the fabric with one hand and push the opposite way on the tube with other hand. I think this happens more with the vinyl fabric due to the weight. On a windy day the fabric moves but does not re align itself like the cloth. We have lived with this for the last 4 years since new I am tired of trying to get the dealer to fix it we just deal with it. Try a set screw in the roller rails at each end.

NeilV--Never leave your awning out at TT Orlando without tying it down. The wind comes up without warning, one minute its calm the next its like a hurricane. Its famous for destroying awnings.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Awning alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Va View Post
We have had some pretty fierce winds the past two weekend in FL and our awning arms do not align with the supports on the sides when I roll up the awning. Is this caused by the awning moving on the lower bar(retractable arm) or are the hinges/ hardware bent? Thanks
This has been very helpful! I have the exact same problem & the pics even look like my awning! Can't wait to try & fix it with all these great tips! Thanks to all for your help!! It will be a while before I'll see my trailer but I will report back on my success or lack thereof!
Cheers,
Paul :>)
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfrkpaul View Post
This has been very helpful! I have the exact same problem & the pics even look like my awning! Can't wait to try & fix it with all these great tips! Thanks to all for your help!! It will be a while before I'll see my trailer but I will report back on my success or lack thereof!
Cheers,
Paul :>)
yep me too
426smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

once you get the awning lined back up and the arms close easily, open it back up and draw a line marking the end of the awning on the roller tube (each end) using a black permanent magic marker. With the mark on the tube you can tell at a glance if the fabric has moved again instead of finding out once it is closed and you have to go through the "open, adjust, close" routine several times trying to get it ready for travel.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If its is moving, the vinyl "gimp" batting should be screwed into the roller tube. This prevents the fabric from moving. Screws will be located on each side of the fabric on roller tube.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Awning alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
once you get the awning lined back up and the arms close easily, open it back up and draw a line marking the end of the awning on the roller tube (each end) using a black permanent magic marker. With the mark on the tube you can tell at a glance if the fabric has moved again instead of finding out once it is closed and you have to go through the "open, adjust, close" routine several times trying to get it ready for travel.
Thanks for this & the screw tip below & all the other ideas! Can't wait to get started on fixing this one!
Cheers,
Paul
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Just happened to me, the material on the roller shifted. I pulled the awning down, tried to pull the fabric over --- no dice. I grabbed one of the arms and pushed it towards the front to shift the material towards the back. Works fine now.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote