Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've been searching the parts catalogs online and having no luck finding the Auxiliary heater parts break down. This is the one that is located behind the water heater in the 2000 35U and gives interior heat from the engine coolant, not the Motoraid for the water heater.. I have the famous bearing going bad and would like to replace it while I have the water heater out. Can someone point me to a parts break down for this unit?? I don't have a part number other that on the invoice sheet where it's listed as 56F Heater-Auxiliary Automotive. Has anyone replaced the bearing that causes the problem?? Is it a fan bearing or motor bearing?? What needs to be replaced??

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've been searching the parts catalogs online and having no luck finding the Auxiliary heater parts break down. This is the one that is located behind the water heater in the 2000 35U and gives interior heat from the engine coolant, not the Motoraid for the water heater.. I have the famous bearing going bad and would like to replace it while I have the water heater out. Can someone point me to a parts break down for this unit?? I don't have a part number other that on the invoice sheet where it's listed as 56F Heater-Auxiliary Automotive. Has anyone replaced the bearing that causes the problem?? Is it a fan bearing or motor bearing?? What needs to be replaced??

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Bill,

I found mine listed in the Winnebago Parts Catalog under heating & air conditioning. It doesn't go very deep into the system, showing the blower assembly as bago P/N 129205-01-702, Vender P/N HV 218419. These may not be the same as yours.

I also have my water heater out now, and I have also been working on the Aux heat blower motor. Have you removed the unit yet, and checked the fan assy by turning it? This is my second attempt to fix mine. On my unit the fan moves on the shaft, towards the motor, over time, & mechanically binds up. By holding the motor in one hand & tapping on the shaft end I am able to free up the fan & it will then work fine. I did this a year & 1/2 ago, but it bound up again.

I just finished an attempt to fix for good. As I thought, drilling a hole for a pin thru the shaft won't work unless you have a good shop to go thru the hard shaft. After some thinking, I decided to install two small screws into the tip of the fan housing, 180 deg apart. I then molded some putty epoxy, in a cone shape, around the end of the shaft, covering the screws & motor shaft end, sorta like an end cap. It is now hardened, and if the epoxy (hi temp) doesn't break, the fan assy should not be able to move in towards the motor, as it has in the past. I didn't get any vibration when I tested it, guess I got the epoxy centered well. I guess time will tell.

My resistor pack is bad, so I only have hi speed now. I am going to order one tomorrow from Lichtsenn.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dan I finally did find the heater assembly in the parts sheets. Not a good break down picture wise, but at least the parts are listed. My number being the same as yours. I had a problem at one time of the motor in that unit seizing. I assume it has bronze bearings. Reaching through the register at the rear of the engine cover I was able to raise the flap and get my fingers on the squirrel cage. It was froze tight. I then managed to spray some penetrating oil into the area. I let it sit about 3 days and again tried to move it with my fingers and it broke loose and turned. Every spring since I have sprayed penetrating oil in there and no more problem. But now having the water heater out I thought it might be time to change out the motor/blower. I took the water heater out as the electric failed. I found the connector on the hot wire burnt and had fell apart. So I pulled the heater to find why that had happened. Looks like the connector had corroded. Probably causing some arcing. The insulation was burnt off about an inch on either side of the connector. Anyway that's an easy fix. Next I'll get into the auxiliary heater.

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

N8XV (Bill),
Being as we essentially have the same unit I am curious as to what auxiliary the heater is? Is it the one controlled by the switch on the dash with the 3 position switch (High speed-off-low speed)?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bill,
Looks like we a tackling same issues. I also pulled the water heater because of 110V side. I thought it was the ECO not reseting, but turns out the little on/off switch on back of unit was toast. I am taking it out of circuit. I also replaced the tstat & ECO, since I already bought them.

I ordered my resistor pack from Lichtsinn this morning, $28.25. I asked him if they get a lot of requests for replacement blower assemblies & he said he has sold quite a few. They are $199.55 each. I don't know if this assembly has been re-engineered or not. I tried getting a hold of Evans, but they just tell you to call a service center.

codgerbill, it is on mine.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I bought the whole unit new from Jake's RV Salvage in Fairmont, MN last summer for $55. He had several more and he does ship.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
N8XV (Bill),
Being as we essentially have the same unit I am curious as to what auxiliary the heater is? Is it the one controlled by the switch on the dash with the 3 position switch (High speed-off-low speed)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that's the switch for the auxiliary heater.

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I wanted to close the loop on my fix for the aux fan.

Here is the fan with the spring attached.

Here is the fan with the spring removed.

I drilled the plastic end, under where the spring would go, two holes 180 deg apart, and inserted 2 3mm machine screws, so they stuck out slightly (neglected to take a pic). I then wrapped the end with high temp epoxy putty. Here is a pic of the finished product.

I am hoping this will prevent the fan from moving towards the motor on the shaft.