Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Audio System Repair Or Replace

I'm sure many of you have faced this issue. Have a new to us 2002 Winnebago Journey DL. I have read many discussions regarding the originally installed DHS "upgraded" sound system. Looks like many of the commonly reported issues(problems) apply to my situation: (1) replaced old TV's with flat screens, (2) removed 1 of the 6X9 speakers, (3) some of the ceiling mounted cube speakers not working, (4) don't know if the in dash radio/CD player is original, the amp may have been replaced. I probably know enough tech info to make the project more difficult than it needs to be. Ultimately I just want a system that will support the TV and radio. I don't want/need a bass response that they here us coming 200 yards away. Just want quality sound at a decent price. If you are nice enough to reply, please don't get too "techy". I may only understand 1/2 of your explanation. THANKS
Gary Gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Suggest talking to the people at Crutchfield. They may be able to advise you on how best to do the upgrade. Auto electronics install shops are another option for information and for doing the actual work.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Best Buy has the Geek Squad who has done work for me on my motorhome sound system. They seem to be well trained and experienced enough to know what they are doing. Might give them a chance to hear you out.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

I found a Best Buy that would work on my RV.

I also provided them with a wire diagram to my Magnadyne Radio.

* The installer will cut one end and hard wire a universal connector to connect to your new radio.

I'm guessing you have a Magnadyne radio too and they are crap. But the good news is that radio is the problem and not the speaker wire or speaker or your Amp (by RiverPark), because the Magnadyne capacitors all leaked out inside. (TBD) What I am saying is that you probably can fix your system by just replacing the Magnadyne radio.

Best Buy usually charges just $49 for any car installation (and sometime they run an ad for $0 installation) when you buy one of there radios. They also do not car if you have an RV so long as you can park it close to the back shop. (TBD)

* I went with a $179 Kenwood with bluetooth radio. Try to get "big buttons"... but that may be too much to ask.

* I highly recommend you get a Sirius-XM capable radio and buy a $49 Sirius-XM antenna (new style). It's easy to install... just snake under your dash and run the wire up the side of your window (or center cover) and then fish into your cabinets. And from there you just drill a small hole in your roof and cover with Dicor lap sealant.

If all this information applies to your coach, then you just need to provide this information to your installer -- and to them it's second nature.

Question: Did you have a locking door system? ...And fob. If so, it's probably not working, but I can tell you how to fix that for less than $50 in parts if you want more information. However, I don't know if Journey RVs came with auto door locks... and if so, it's also possible a previous owner disconnect it. ...But like your sound system your Keyless Entry System is not hard to repair... if you know how.

(See .pdf attached.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_131233.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	176339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnadyne M9900 Din Size.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	176340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnadyne M9900 Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	176341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnadyne 9900 Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	176342  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magnadyne 9000 Wiring Chart to Aftermarket Radio.pdf (92.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf RiverPark Stereo & TV Amplifier.pdf (63.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf Mobile Theatre Troubleshooting Manual.pdf (44.2 KB, 27 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've had problems with my Magnadyne system on a 2003 Itasca Sunflyer and found that it was easier to replace original components from used part sources like Colaw RV Parts. First bring the original components to a stereo repair shop and have them tested for faults and see what has to be replaced. My problems was primarily the DHS poweramp. Too hard and involved to upgrade to a new system.

Tags
ace, audio, repair, replace