Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I had two Atwood windows loose their seal which resulted in condensation build up. Unfortunately, my windows two year warranty period on my 2005 Horizon ran out in May while I was traveling. I immediately took my Horizon into the dealer for the window replacement when I returned home (1 month after warranty period) and was told that Atwood would replace the window in the kitchen under warranty, however, would not cover the entry door window under warranty. I called Atwood asking them why they would replace one of the windows even though I was only 1 month out of warranty and not the other. They said the windows were in two different divisions and their door division would not replace any window that was out of warranty regardless of how long and there was nothing she could do about it. It seems that Atwood is not consitant within its own company. Although I explained that I was traveling during the time when my warranty ran out it did not make any differnce to them. These vendors just don't realize how difficult it is to interrupt your plans to take the coach in for service. I'm not to surprised after reading other post regarding Atwood problems and their customer service. Atwood should take lessons regarding customer service and satisfaction from Vendors like HWH. One piece of information that I found out from Winnebago customer service is that if you call them regarding a warranty item during your travels they will log it and help you fight for warranty repair work with OEM's.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had two Atwood windows loose their seal which resulted in condensation build up. Unfortunately, my windows two year warranty period on my 2005 Horizon ran out in May while I was traveling. I immediately took my Horizon into the dealer for the window replacement when I returned home (1 month after warranty period) and was told that Atwood would replace the window in the kitchen under warranty, however, would not cover the entry door window under warranty. I called Atwood asking them why they would replace one of the windows even though I was only 1 month out of warranty and not the other. They said the windows were in two different divisions and their door division would not replace any window that was out of warranty regardless of how long and there was nothing she could do about it. It seems that Atwood is not consitant within its own company. Although I explained that I was traveling during the time when my warranty ran out it did not make any differnce to them. These vendors just don't realize how difficult it is to interrupt your plans to take the coach in for service. I'm not to surprised after reading other post regarding Atwood problems and their customer service. Atwood should take lessons regarding customer service and satisfaction from Vendors like HWH. One piece of information that I found out from Winnebago customer service is that if you call them regarding a warranty item during your travels they will log it and help you fight for warranty repair work with OEM's.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have had my problems with Atwood windows. I personally think Winnebago should get involved in these dual pane windows loosing their seal in a year or two. I believe this should be a re-call item. It is definitely a safety hazard in the front windows. One cannot see the outside rear view mirrors on certain days. The rest of the time it cuts the vision by 50%. I have filed two reports with the NHTSA. So far,all that has happened is NHTSA acknowledged having a file on it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have 4 windows in a 99 Suncruiser that has lost the seal. They have been this way for several years. I think it is around 800 to a 1000 to get them all fixed.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
RJK
Winnebago Camper

I have had two of the three crank out windows over the desk in the bed room loose there seal. The warranty was up so with nothing to loose,I used a small 1/8 drill bit in a hand held taping tool and put three holes between the two pains of glass. I put one on each side and one in the bottom thur the soft sealing compound. It took about three days and the windows dried up.One window was clear the other left behind a film like the window is dirty between the glass.It much better then it was.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't think you will get much satisfaction from anyone on the older Moho's.
Woody yours is new enough and the circumstances extenuating enough that I would contact Winnie , ask for Bryan Funke and explain your situation in a kindly manner and see what happens. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Woody,

I ran into the same situation. My window seal leaked right at the 2 year point and I didn't call until the next month. I was told by Atwood that they would not replace it under warranty. They did offer to sell the window to me at their cost. I paid around $100 for the small kitchen window.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You won't believe this. We finally had the kitchen window replaced. Within two weeks, the new window in the kitchen did the same thing. Thankfully, the door window that I replaced is still ok. Yet another trip back to the dealer for repairs. I know the next coach I buy will have mileage allowance built into the price. HAHA..

Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If Winnebago reads these post I hope they will re-consider "Atwood", as a supplier of windows. Atwood obviously should not be in the window business. There are way to many of us out here with defective Atwood windows.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have 4 windows that have failed.

How many windows have some of the rest of you had that have failed?

I have not fixed them, as we are looking at 800-1000 bucks to fix them. That would include the labor estimate.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have 3 that are fogging, one with stripped closer gear. Local glass company (2); estimated $500.00 labor for one window, glass not included. The fogging happened in the 2nd year. The stripped gear, 3rd year. Gear casing split in half.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeeperrmartin:
...How many windows have some of the rest of you had that have failed?...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Count us in as members of the unfortunate "failed window club". We have a 2000 Winn. Adventurer, so no warranty for us either. Our front side window (between passenger window and windshield) is fogged. It's the window that the driver has to look out to see the passenger side mirror. We bought this coach in May 07, and we first noticed the fogging about two months later (after it had sat at the dealers for 6 long weeks for A/C repair work). I don't know if we did something to cause it, if the dealership did something, or if it was just going to fail regardless.
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have three failed windows.

We have the dual pane windows in our Itasca Sunrise. This spring I noticed moisture in three of the "awning style" crank-out windows in the two bedroom windows and the one side isle hall-way window. Keeping fingers crossed about the other dual pane windows we actually look out of in the living area.

Since we do not look out of the effected windows I will probably leave them be. But if the other dual pane windows fog up with moisture then the pane will become a real pain.

2008 HHR on order
Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I thought at the time when we bought the MH new in 1999 that dual pane windows would be a good deal.

After eight years and the looks of the cost of replacing them, the amount of energy savings in now way would pay for the up keep on those windows. I am sure if you took all the LP gas we bought over the years, the up keep would be more.

I am really disappointed in them. I never even thought about them failing let alone 4 failing.

I wonder if anyone has seen a company that takes them out and repairs them. I saw an advertisement once on that, and can't find them again. The estimate was about 50% of the cost of a new one. I think the warranty was longer that winnie's.

Randy

Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I've had five go "south". The two crankouts at the head of the bed, one panel each side, replaced under warrenty. A year later the crank out on the escape window in the bedroom, and 18 months after the first two were replaced, both of them had a panel each go bad. Their still that way as I refuse to pay for defective material and workmanship.

Bruce Hertske and service techs at Winnebago, as well as warrenty personnel at Atwood, just blew it off.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
03 Windstar with axle lock
Brake Buddy being used in third toad
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have talked to dozens of Adventurer and Sunrise owners in the 00-03 years that have the fogged windows in the front cabin area. This makes seeing your rear mirror very difficult on the passenger side. I have talked to two glass companies that specialize in automotive glass. The both said they could not be repaired, would have to be replaced. In front the whole window unit must be removed and taken apart. Over $500.00 in labor alone for just the front passenger windows. This does not include glass. I ask if they could just take the inside pane out and I would live with a single pane. Neither would do it for safety reasons.
This not just a problem with Winnebago coaches, any manf that used Atwood Windows is having the problem. There should be a re-call for safety reasons on those affecting rear view vision.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Doula: No this not a problem you or your dealer caused. It is wide spread and covers several years of manufacture. My problem on the passenger window showed up in the second year I owned the coach, I purchased new. Of course warranty ran out. I have complained to Winnebago and Atwood, did no good, except they will offer to sell you a new window set. These are defective window assemblies and safety hazards.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Homer, I think we have had this conversation before. Yes, Atwood should replace the windows , but they are not about too! My local RV dealer replaced the window for about 500 total. The glass folks told me to buy the window and they would put it in. On the passenger side there are actually 3 windows. Upper, the big one and the closest to the front angled one. You can buy each of these separate.

Also as I said before you can have the inside glass removed leaving the outter pane, clean that and viola you can see the mirror. Someone else said to drill a whole in the frame let them moisture out and then seal with silicone.

I just found some slide and jack hoses on my unit leaking. In 01/02 HWH had some bad hoses and they are replacing them materials and labor.
ATWOOD is NOT HWH, so you are pretty much on your own with the glass.
I see you said neither glass company would remove the inside pane. It is a simple procedure, you could possibly do it yourself. Get a glass bit ,,drill carefully a small hole in the bottom right corner, when the bit goes through you will hear a pop and the glass will shatter but stay in place. Tap it with a hammer gently and make a larger whole, then remove all the remaining glass. Its like crystalized and will come out in a 100 pieces..If you don't want to do it yourself, keep looking you will find a glass company that will do it for you. Try some of the smaller shoppes.
Sorry this is so long but I hope you get the idea that you don't have to spend a super sum to get your window fixed...Good Miles
Old 10-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

ichn2go: Yes you are correct we have talked about this before. In fact it was your idea of taking one pane out that I approached the glass companies about taking one pane out by breaking it. They wouldn't do it, but did suggest I might want to get one of those glass hammers and do it myself. However, the reason they will not do it; is they do not feel one will ever get all the glass shards out of the mastic and it becomes a cutting hazard. I am not done with this situation just yet, can't be, it poses a huge safety problem on the highway. Did you get all the shards out of your mastic liner?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Don't break it with a hammer until after you drill it and cause it to "spider web" and then you only break it enought to get a hold of the webbed glass. Use a pair of needle nose or electricians pliers to get the remaing chards out of the mastic liner. The glass isn't razor sharp it is like the glass from a brokedn windshield. The chards under the right circumstances could be a safety hazard, but I believe not being able to see the mirror presents an even larger one. Perhaps you could remove the mastic liner. I didn't try cause I knew the dealer was going to replace the window.. Good Miles