Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Atwood water heater spark

Usually when turning on my atwood the spark will go " click , click ,click ", [three times ] and heater will light . Lately it will click once only and not lite . I can get it to light by inserting a propane torch in the burner hole ! Whats up ! I looked on U-tube and can find no help . It will work if I lite it manually .
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Older manual, but still useful.

http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Atwo...ice-manual.pdf

Charles
Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some basic things to check that are cheap / free before you do anything else:

- check to make sure that the spark ignitor bracket is securely mounted, to get a good spark the bracket needs to be grounded thru it's mounting self tapping screw.

- check the connection from the control board to the spark ignitor wire

- see if the insualtion on the spark ignitor wire is not damaged

- check to see if the spark gap is the right width, if spark is marginal the gap may be a bit too wide. Try to make it the width in the manual, gap too narrow and you'll get a spark, but spark might not have enouigh energy to light the propane.

- make sure your DC power connector on the water heater is making a solid connection, corrosion on contacts can reduce the power and is another way you could be getting a marginal spark.

- I always replace the spark ignitor before letting anyone claim the control board is bad. It is a cheap part that costs less than $ 15 and is a DIY replacement if you have basic handyman skills.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater