Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Aspect Flushing System

I have a 2018 Aspect 30J. Last summer (before storage) I realized that no water was moving through the black tank flush system. I assume that the Vacuum breaker (check valve) is not working, perhaps even installed backward. Does anyone out there have information on checking and/or replacing the valve. (It just now occurred to me that the valve is under the bed with the rest of the water system, but the coach is in storage.) I will appreciate any help with this.

Thank you, Kent Hoover
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Kent,

We have a 2017 Aspect 30J. I'll look at ours and get back with you tomorrow. If it is under the bed, it shouldn't be a big deal...shouldn't. Did you get that information on the plumbing schematic?

Al
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Kent,

I reviewed the plumbing schematics from Winnebago for our 2017. I am not seeing where they even show the flush connection to the black water tank. The manual states "if equipped" so I'm not sure if all of the different Aspects had it installed. Ours does have it.

So I did some detective work so to speak. There is nothing under the bed except your fresh water system including the pump. The vacuum breaker for the fresh water system goes to the roof. I checked in the rear storage compartment and again only fresh water system parts.

The actual connection is installed right above the black water tank. I shined a flashlight into our access and couldn't see much. However, it stands to reason that the system has the flush connector go directly to the black water tank and not route it around in other places before coming back to the tank. My guess is there is blockage. I don't know if there is indeed a check valve installed (it makes sense that there would be) but if there is one, it looks like you would have to gain access to the top of the black water tank.

Has the system never worked for you? What is occurring that you think it is not flushing the tank? Ours typically makes a deep sound and we can hear the spray action. Of course, there is the resultant water coming out of the drain valve connection. The manual does state to ensure you have the drain valve open while flushing the tank.

You might try emailing Winnebago and they can tell you if there is indeed a check valve and where it is located as well as how to access it without dropping the tank. Let us know what you find out and what the fix was when you get it working. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

Al

p.s. I've posted your question over at the Aspect/Cambria site so we'll see if anyone there has any knowledge. If I get a response, I'll share that here.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Kent,

Another thought...and it might be a long shot...is that your spray head may be blocked from contents within the black water tank. If TP or fecal matter settled out on the spray head and solidified, it might be impacting the flushing capability. To keep our system clean, twice a year we clean the system while going down the road. I read on these forums some time ago about filling your tank 1/3 with fresh water prior to hitting the road. Add two cups of Calgon liquid water softener and one cup of Arm and Hammer laundry soap. This allows the tank to slosh around going down the road and clean the internal parts. When you arrive at your destination, dump and flush. It is amazing how much "stuff" comes out of a clean tank! Just another thought...

Al
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Kent,

I did some more research. There is a check valve and it is rare that they fail, but it does happen. If you go over to iRV2.com and do a search of clogged black tank flush you will see that others have ran into the same situation. I guess it is a problem across the entire RV line. However, most were able to fix the problem by rinsing the spray head. On many Class As, they have access to the head in their basement. On Class Cs, not so. I verified this by going out and opening up the door to our sewer drain system. Sure enough, right where the hose connection is on the body, there are angle iron braces preventing access or even seeing where the valve is.

There are those who purchased a wand that they could hook to a hose and go down through the toilet and spray the crap (pun intended!) out of the tank and nozzle head. That worked most of the time. Others pulled their nozzle head (Class As) to clean it and some even drilled the holes bigger.

I would try the wand idea first and go from there. Camco has these and there are probably others that a quick online search will find. Good luck!

Al
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you “AZA”! I appreciate all the effort. I had this problem with my Phaeton though I knew for a fact it had worked originally. I cleared it with air pressure. In this case I recall listening for the flush sound I had previously heard and it wasn’t there. Then I thought “Oh, maybe it’s just because of the configuration. It took time to realize it was not working. Thus I am unsure if it has ever worked. I thought the check valve may have been installed backwards. I will contact Winnebago. Thanks again!!!! Kent (Gold Canyon)
Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Kent, valve in located in the corner chase wall next to the stool along with the vent for the black tank. You made be able to the see some of the piping through the heater register hole in the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	173773  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy RV Flush

thank you Grant for the response. I received information from Winnebago CS that yes indeed the check valve may have failed. (I actually wonder if it may have been installed backwards since I believe it has never worked.) They go on to tell me that the valve is inside the wall in the corner next to the commode!! OK so I have a potentially failing valve that is “hidden”, such that a wall must be deconstructed in order to replace. Brilliant!!!!! At this juncture I am trying to decide if I can simply live without a flushing system (rather than spend what $1000?) like I did on three motorhomes previous to this Aspect, which happens to have more design deficiencies than I care to enumerate.