Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Armrest Adjustment

I have a new to me 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35U. It has arm rest with black screw knobs on the end of each arm rest. How do these work to adjust the armrests up and down?
I have searched and searched, both here and in my available documentation and found nothing. I messed with them all week of our "maiden voyage" and cannot figure them out.

My husband while driving found them very uncomfortable as they are too high for him!
Any help is appreciated, and my apologies if this is a more than stupid question!
Jewelsinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

OK, did I say something offensive? Twenty-nine views but no replies? Have I been blackballed? I am new at this and don't want to do or say something wrong!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Pics? more detail
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If the same. On my 04 you spin the black knobs to adjust height up or down. It helps if you pull up on arm rest a bit as you spin the knob to raise the arm rest. I find you can't adjust them if you are leaning on them at the same time. You will have to try it a bit to figure out the proper knob rotation depending if you are going up or down.

Craig
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelsinmo View Post
OK, did I say something offensive? Twenty-nine views but no replies? Have I been blackballed? I am new at this and don't want to do or say something wrong!!
No one here would blackball you for any legitimate question. Sometimes it takes time for the right person with similar equipment to read your post and provide the answer.

I looked at it myself earlier but my arm rests use small flip levers in the end so obviously I couldn't help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I looked at it myself earlier but my arm rests use small flip levers in the end so obviously I couldn't help.
Same here. And my wife still can't work them after three MH's, 13 years with the same adjustments and numerous tries to teach her!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mine seemed to be locked up. Couldn't turn the knobs. Never did figure how to get them apart so I removed the knobs and adjusted with a wrench. The knobs has a locknut behind them, I then used double locknuts. Screwing them in CW pushs the rod against a stop and raises the arm, screw out CCW to lower.

If anyone knows how to remove for repairs, please chime in anytime.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Removing the Armrest

I have an ’04 Suncruiser (38R) with the same armrests. I never had trouble with the adjusting knobs, but several years ago, I had the driver’s right armrest get real loose at the pivot point (by my elbow). I couldn’t figure out how to address the issue, but it came to a head shortly when the armrest fell completely off. I had a dealer fix that first one and asked some questions about how it worked. Within a year the driver’s left armrest came off in my hands while I was driving down the road heading west in Texas. This one I fixed myself, procuring a stiff roll pin to replace the solid pin that fell out of the pivot post that protrudes from the seat back. The reason I’m relating this is because you may not know that the armrest will come off the seat by raising it to (or a little past) the vertical position to where it stops, then pushing it in (or pulling it out--it’s been awhile) and rotating the armrest a little more. It will come off and then maybe you will be able to assess the adjustment knob situation more thoroughly. Hope this helps!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the info! Helpful for the future for sure! My problem now however is that turning the knob, with the rest in any position does not raise or lower the arm rest. I have removed the knob and can see a "keeper" of sorts behind it, but they don't seem to work together. Should they? Is this piece the key to the action?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any further info! I appreciate all the input!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just spent 3 hours going over a 2012 Journey in the showroom with the same adjustible knob on the underside of the arm rest. All it did when I turned the screw was to raise or lower the front of the arm rest. The spot where it attached to the seats back remained fixed. That means the arm rest when lowered put the arm in a downhill position rather than lower the complete arm. I can't say that I liked it. My arm wanted to slide forward and the rest was otherwise to high.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoxness View Post
The reason I’m relating this is because you may not know that the armrest will come off the seat by raising it to (or a little past) the vertical position to where it stops, then pushing it in (or pulling it out--it’s been awhile) and rotating the armrest a little more. It will come off and then maybe you will be able to assess the adjustment knob situation more thoroughly. Hope this helps!
Can't wait to get to my MH to see if this works. I tried but couldn't see how to get it off. The PO had it brazed near the hinge, and it was too low when they "fixed" it. I have to use a stick to keep it at a useable level while driving!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

hdmoxess;
Thanks for the info on how to remove the arm rest. On my 99 35g adv. I pushed in, with the arm rest in the vertical position, and rotated it to the rear of the house and pulled out at the same time and it came off. But I still can't see any way to adjust it.
HC-1 phil is offline   Reply With Quote