Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know how to remove the arm rest from the Captains chair in my 2005 Suncruiser?

I need to remove it for repair.
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know how to remove the arm rest from the Captains chair in my 2005 Suncruiser?

I need to remove it for repair.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I vote for the zipper.....but in the meantime, welcome to the forum!! You'll learn a lot here . . . and by all means, when/if you figure out your repair, post it for the rest of us! Inquiring minds wanna know!

Rose
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 AM   #4

On many captain's chairs you have to press in on the armrest very firmly as you rotate it up (maybe down) to remove it.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Flexsteel chairs generally have th armrest held in place by a round steel shaft with a roll pin drilled through it. As Bill mentioned, push in HARD and rotate upwards until the pin lines up with the slot and it should come out. There is a spring behind it to help push. If I recall, you need to rotate the armrest so it's like 45 degrees beyond the vertical position and sticking out rearwards from the backrest.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Cruzer,

You hit the nail on the head. Winnebago makes their own chairs and also uses Flex Steel chairs.

The chair in our unit was actually made at Winnebago's plant, but it comes apart the same way as the Flex Steel one.

At first I couldn't get the arm to rotate past the upper stop. Had to give it a pretty good hit with the heel of my had to get it depressed far enough to allow it to swivel past the stop.

I went to the Winne parts place and gave them the serial number of my unit and they told me that I could still get a cover to replace the damaged one.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

removing arms from our Fkexsteel Captains Chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
Cruzer,

You hit the nail on the head. Winnebago makes their own chairs and also uses Flex Steel chairs.

The chair in our unit was actually made at Winnebago's plant, but it comes apart the same way as the Flex Steel one.

At first I couldn't get the arm to rotate past the upper stop. Had to give it a pretty good hit with the heel of my had to get it depressed far enough to allow it to swivel past the stop.

I went to the Winne parts place and gave them the serial number of my unit and they told me that I could still get a cover to replace the damaged one.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.
This helped us also! Thank you!
mbkufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

For those that might be interested;

Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Clay! We did get it off. These drawings are fantastic!
I'm re-covering both and was stumped for a while until I googled this and found this
Website. Totally Rocks!!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Arm Removal

Do you know how to take the 'Flexsteel' logo off the arm? It's a metal decal that's attached to the arm somehow. I can't figure that part out.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Ugh! Thanks for posting this. I the particle board frame inside of my passanger arm broke. I would have pulled my hair out (if I had any left) while trying to figure this thing out.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

That's ok. I totally understand. I probably will just cover over it or as I'm doing it figure how to slice and stuff it around the decal.
They sure make these recovering projects difficult! But I WILL prevail!
Ha!! You've been a great help! Thank you.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The pilot & co-pilot chairs ...and the dining chairs & RestEasy sofa ...in my '03 Ultimate have the Villa brand name on the back of the fabric, or on a tag underneath. Winnie may build some ...that would be new info for me ...I would not be at all surprised if Winnie upholstered chairs/seats they got from a seat builder. I removed an armrest ...long ago but as I recall by pulling the fabric cover around to expose a hole in the pivot point that gave access to an bolt or screw...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much for your information.
We got the arms off and now I was trying to
Figure out if I can remove the metal emblem
From it. It doesn't sound like it though so I will
Probably just cover over it.
Thank you for your help!

Best regards
Marlayne
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Smile Arm Rest Removal for Recovering

I just wanted to let the Forum know that we figured out how to remove the decal from the arm rest of our captains Chairs. The metal decal has a Plastic decal glued to the metal that states its company. (Fleetwood, etc). My husband got to looking at it and found that it was glued to the metal. Once he removed the decal, there were Two screws bolting the decal to the arm rest. The rest was easy! The fabric has been removed and we are moving forward with the recovering process! I am so excited that we finally have it all figured out! The covers are 50% finished and looking excellent. I found that the original covering was a thin upholstery fabric and they didn't finish off a lot of the work. This time around, the upholstery job will be a much more professional job. I am using a suede material. It is looking so Beautiful!

Thanks for all of your help!

I hope this post will help anyone else that decides to recover their furniture in the Motor Home.

Marlayne