Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Aren't leveling jacks a pretty big deal?

Have been looking at Winnebago/Itasca 29Bs for sale in the 2002-2004 age group and I find very few with levelers. It would seem (from the outside looking in) that levelers would be a really good thing to have; albeit, that they would add complexity. What do you folks do to compensate for some of the "not so level" sites; e.g., in Fed or State parks? I have read where many early fridge failures are caused by hot spots forming in the boiler tubes where the fridge is run unlevel for days at a time and I would like to avoid that......for one thing. The old stick trailer I owned back in the 60s (20 ft tandem Terry) sure felt a lot better underfoot with my "scissors" jacks snugged up at the corners each night even on a reasonably level site (but it was a real PITA, of course....especially in rainy weather.)

Obviously, there are a lot of satisfied users out there that are running sans auto (or manual) leveling systems I am sure ........ so maybe this is one of those "much ado about nothing" deals on my part?

Your comments greatly appreciated. Ed S in Denver
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I can't think that I've ever seen a Class A without levelers , gas or diesel , don't think it would sell . Levelers are extra on other classes , and because of the chassis frame work more complex to install, sometimes impossible .
After 4 , 5th wheels , as far as set up is concerned , I love my A and it's leveler system.

EDIT: As a downside on the smaller units , the system adds a lot of weight, and some coaches can't afford to have the extra weight, really compromises the cargo carrying capacity . ( CCC)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We haven't had a motorhome since 1998 that didn't have jacks, although the Magna doesn't either. Just auto air leveling. I was concerned about it as some spots might need more travel than the air bags can provide. They have about 8" total and so far have not needed any more other than at home where I need to add some blocks and gravel. I can get it level now but I'm at full extension in front and fully down in back even after adding 4" of gravel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have them and like them. Even on a level site I drop the jacks to stop bounce and shake. With the jacks up, turning over in bed shakes your partner. Leveling can, of course be done with blocks, but the other thing the jacks do is raise the RV up so, with jack stands in place, I can crawl under and do maintenance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We've had class A's with them and without. They are very nice to have and yes the coach is much more stable with them, but it's not like the world will end if you don't have them. One of the biggest things we've found if you don't have them is to block up your entry stairs so that every time someone goes in or out the whole rig doesn't rock. For what they are charging for class C's now you would think they would all have them.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have a friend with a 2002 30' Tiffin Allegro class A, that did'nt come with jacks. He carrys a set of 4, three step ramps, but being a smaller M.H, he can usually find a level enough spot for the wheels, that he does'nt need them.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
30,000+ miles on a 30 ft class a 2003 Hurricane, no jacks. Three sets of Walmart stack blocks always came to level or I moved to more level spot. Somewhat time consuming to set up, maybe 10 min and not fun in the rain but you get what you pay for and gave it to my sons family.

Our 2001 Dynasty has auto air level ( bags only ). Shut off the engine, dump the air, level up, put slides out. 5-10 minutes tops.... I will never go back to stack blocks!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I have had 3 Class C 1 without jacks and two with. Would not have one without them. It is an option on many class Cs. It is worth it to me.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The 29B is an Itasca Spirit class C motorhome. Leveling jacks were optional on all models. When it was in the product line it was considered an entry level model. As such it attracted potential owners on a budget that were looking for a quality motorhome that could be purchased without some of the expensive options included on more expensive models. As I recall the leveling system option was nearly a $2,000.00 option

Before purchasing our first motorhome we rented a similar class C without the leveling system. It ran fine and even got better mileage than the class A we later purchased. The reason we rented it was to see which body style and amenities we wanted in the one we would eventually purchase.

We did like the floor plan, the way it handled on the road, and the fact that it could fit in parking lots where many of the class A's couldn't. We did take it to Rock Mountain National Park. That's where we knew the motorhome we would eventually purchase would need a leveling system. Our campsite was not only slanted from side to side, it was also not level front to back. We didn't have sufficient blocking along to level for both directions so we spent a week leaning toward the passengers side.

If you're truly interested in this particular model you can always contact HWH in Moscow Iowa to see if they will install a leveling system. Friends of ours purchased a Winnebago Impulse Silver a couple years ago. Like the Spirit it didn't come with a leveling system. In this case it wasn't even an option. They took it to HWH and had one installed.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My 06 Hurricane didn't come with jacks from the factory. Most of our stays are state and federal parks and I didn't have much of a problem with off level camp sites. I did carry 12 ton jacks stands and a bottle jack that I could manually level the coach but I only did that if our stay was more than two nights. My biggest complaint was suspension bounce when moving around in the coach. Easy rule of thumb concerning the fridge is if you're comfortable with the coach level so is the fridge.

I did add Quadra Big Foot hydraulic jacks a few years ago. A $3K investment but well worth it. Added about 120 lbs to the coach overall weight. If a coach is priced right not having jacks would not be a down check to walk away from a potential buy for me. Installing the jacks wasn't diffacult for me. Did everything myself except the welding.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Have been looking at Winnebago/Itasca 29Bs for sale in the 2002-2004 age group and I find very few with levelers. It would seem (from the outside looking in) that levelers would be a really good thing to have; albeit, that they would add complexity. What do you folks do to compensate for some of the "not so level" sites; e.g., in Fed or State parks? I have read where many early fridge failures are caused by hot spots forming in the boiler tubes where the fridge is run unlevel for days at a time and I would like to avoid that......for one thing. The old stick trailer I owned back in the 60s (20 ft tandem Terry) sure felt a lot better underfoot with my "scissors" jacks snugged up at the corners each night even on a reasonably level site (but it was a real PITA, of course....especially in rainy weather.)

Obviously, there are a lot of satisfied users out there that are running sans auto (or manual) leveling systems I am sure ........ so maybe this is one of those "much ado about nothing" deals on my part?

Your comments greatly appreciated. Ed S in Denver
Besides making the coach much easier to level, they also ad stability when parked so the coach doesn't wobble around when people inside are moving around. I would not own one that is not equipped with leveling jacks.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Many thanks for all the responses. Based on your experience/preferrences I believe I will be a "jacks or else" dude. :^) I have an email in work to HWH asking for a ballpark estimate for installation of an HWH system done at their Moscow facility. I have heard it may be weeks before I will hear from them, but that they will answer eventually. It will give me an idea on what to budget for when I see a "jack-less" 29B that I want to go after.

Safe travels.............. ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Leveling jacks came as standard equipment on our 1995 26 ft. Safari Trek, and are also on our '99 28 ft. Trek. Very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Many thanks for all the responses. Based on your experience/preferrences I believe I will be a "jacks or else" dude. :^) I have an email in work to HWH asking for a ballpark estimate for installation of an HWH system done at their Moscow facility. I have heard it may be weeks before I will hear from them, but that they will answer eventually. It will give me an idea on what to budget for when I see a "jack-less" 29B that I want to go after.

Safe travels.............. ed s
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Our Minnie class C did not come with jacks. I carried some wood and four scissors jacks, not so much to level but more to take out the bounce. A set of Lynx plastic levelers you drive up on worked if the site was really not level.

The Vectra we have now came with HWH hydraulic levelers. They work great but just about anyone who has had them for a while has had to do some repairs to them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks