Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have a Sleepnumber bed in both our home and our motor home. There is a noticeable difference between the model 3000 Sleepnumber bed in the motor home and the model 5000 we have at home. Has anyone changed out the motor home version for a better Sleepnumber bed? We are considering upgrading our motor home bed to a model 5000 like our home bed and would like to hear from others who might have done this.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a Sleepnumber bed in both our home and our motor home. There is a noticeable difference between the model 3000 Sleepnumber bed in the motor home and the model 5000 we have at home. Has anyone changed out the motor home version for a better Sleepnumber bed? We are considering upgrading our motor home bed to a model 5000 like our home bed and would like to hear from others who might have done this.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I wondered what the difference would be like we have the 5000 at home too. While camping last spring I started talking with a guy that had the basic one in his rig. He ended up using a memory foam from Costco, which was used on our mattress too, and said it made a world of difference and was much cheaper.

Curious to read what others have done.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When we took delivery of this MH the mattress, as usual, was garbage. We switched it out with a new pillow top, same as we had at home. After 1 1/2 years on this mattress it is proving difficult for my old bones and needs to go. The problem, as with all MH beds, is the solid base under the bedding.

We stopped at a Sleep Number store to check them out, after doing our research on the Web. The one they note as being for the RV's is the 4000 however the 5000 will fit so looks like that is the way we will go.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We went the route of the 3000 then the 4000 then the 5000. We never found any of the 3 gave a great nights sleep and returned each. Then we found the Denver air Mattress with 3 zones of adjustment. To us it is far superior to the Sleepnumber. If interested read more about them here: Denver Air Mattress

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Not sure Sleep Comfort bed is worth the money. We have a 5000 in the MH and it is on its third air pump (bad displays on 1st and leaking pump on 2nd) and a second air chamber on one side (slow leak in 1st bag). The bed was never comfortable because the foam inserts between the air chambers resulted in a non-uniform sleeping surface. We solved this problem with a 2 inch memory foam we bought at Costco.
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I am trying to match the bedding experience we have at home, the Sleepnumber 5000. I am not interested in a memory foam topper. I tried that and woke up the next morning with the worst back pain ever. Also not interested in other mattresses. I was just curious if anyone else had upgraded to a better Sleepnumber.

I will call and inquire about the Sleepnumber current promotion discount. As a previous customer I can get 10% off. I am hoping to better that.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suncircles:
Not sure Sleep Comfort bed is worth the money. We have a 5000 in the MH and it is on its third air pump (bad displays on 1st and leaking pump on 2nd) and a second air chamber on one side (slow leak in 1st bag). The bed was never comfortable because the foam inserts between the air chambers resulted in a non-uniform sleeping surface. We solved this problem with a 2 inch memory foam we bought at Costco. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suncircles;

I am not sure anyone has welcomed you to IRV2 & the Winnebago Forum so I would like to do that. We would like to give you some Winnebago Karma as well. All you have to do is ask.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We dumped the sleep comfort mattress in both our class A coaches....the first one because it would not hold the air pressure and after 2 trips to the dealer they took it out, put in a regular mattress and we slept fine.

We prefer a firm mattress with a tempur pedic topper, not that's a good night sleep.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #10

Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Never tried a sleep,number bed but put a 3" memory foam topper on the pillow top that came with the coach. Slept great! Just upgraded to a 8" emeory foam mattress. We love it, I have bad back,neck and shoulder, DW has a bad back. We have never had a bad nights sleep in which the mattress was a contributor. JMO
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by N8XV:
We went the route of the 3000 then the 4000 then the 5000. We never found any of the 3 gave a great nights sleep and returned each. Then we found the Denver air Mattress with 3 zones of adjustment. To us it is far superior to the Sleepnumber. If interested read more about them here: Denver Air Mattress </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here on the 3 stage Denver mattress - far superior to the Sleep Number.

We too put the memory foam on our Sleep Number and it helped a lot.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Last year Derek and I replaced our worn out stock Serta with one by Habitat. http://www.habitatfutons.com/ We went this route because we thought it was a superior bed compared to Sleep number and it as much cheaper. So far we really like it, and would certainly do it again.

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We put a 5000 in our first unit in '04. When we upgraded in '07, we asked the mattress be swapped out. New coach had the 3000. They didn't have the hoses available at the time, so the 3000 pump stayed in the newer coach.

Yes, we now have one in our stick house. I don't get bounced outta bed any more!

Rose
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We just replace our mattress at home with one of the memory foam ones and it is great. I think the trailer is due for new mattress next and it is getting the memory foam.

Ken
Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
We have a Sleepnumber bed in both our home and our motor home. There is a noticeable difference between the model 3000 Sleepnumber bed in the motor home and the model 5000 we have at home. Has anyone changed out the motor home version for a better Sleepnumber bed? We are considering upgrading our motor home bed to a model 5000 like our home bed and would like to hear from others who might have done this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spoke to the sleep number guys at the RV show in Louisville last week and they told me that in Jan they were upgrading the sleep number offered to the RV manufacturers, and if you wanted to you could upgrade to the new mattress.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

LK23,
Yes, we did exactly what you are considering. Our Meridian came with a Sleep Number mattress (I don't know the number), but it was not as comfortable as the Sleep Number mattress we have at home (don't know that number offhand either). We asked Sleep Number to sell us just the parts needed to upgrade the MH's mattress instead of buying a whole new one, as the air bladders and the pump are the same (they confirmed that).
They were reluctant to do it, but finally agreed. It was a great decision on our part. Now both beds feel the same.
One possible downside is that on our 36G Meridian the doors on the closet slide could be opened over the mattress when the slide was in. The new mattress is tall enough that you can't open the doors. This is rarely an issue for us as we hardly ever need to go into the closet when the slide is in. The couple of times we have needed to get in there we just move the mattress over.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We have a Americana Bear air bed, the Ultra model.
Americana Bear Beds
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We have a Sleep Number bed too, king size. The readouts failed the 1st year and they sent us a new pump and handset. Boy, they sure have those control units packed in there tight, it took us awhile to replace everything. When we first purchased the rig, we put a 2" memory foam topper on the bed so the king sheets would fit better and we've been VERY happy. In fact, one time we forget to air up the bed and slept on just the topper and it was fine. I'm sure that 8" topper is very heavy and hard to maneuver. Our friends have a Tempur-Pedic mattress in their rig and it's super heavy.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote