Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have damaged my big, heavy Horizon mud flap several times. I have pondered installing the UltraGuard mud flap. Has anyone installed this on their Vectra or Horizon. If so, how did you install it to wrap around the diesel exhaust?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have damaged my big, heavy Horizon mud flap several times. I have pondered installing the UltraGuard mud flap. Has anyone installed this on their Vectra or Horizon. If so, how did you install it to wrap around the diesel exhaust?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have not but thank you for asking the question. The stock flap has to be a hundred pounds or so. I would like to find a lighter one. The plastic flaps seem like they would do the same job at 1/3 rd the weight.

Maybe I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've had an Ultraguard mudflap on our 2004 Brave for years. Works really well. I did end up putting on lock washers to prevent the original nuts from coming loose. I wouldn't suggest getting the model with the stainless steel trim. It's one more thing to maintain and it takes a beating after several years. Just my opinion. Otherwise, great product.

Jack
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I installed one on our Adventurer about 7 years ago and it's holding up fine after over 60,000 miles.

I had to cut out an area to allow clearance for the generator exhaust, and a second larger area for clearance around the the trailer hitch. It cuts relatively easy with a sharp utility knife. You'll have to lay out the pattern then make a light first cut with the knife to assure a smooth finished edge. You may be ble to get through the entire 3/8" on a single cut but the thin edge of the knife will be hard to control. Once you have a groove to follow take a little deeper second cut. When you have cut about 1/2 way through the material you can be more agressive for the final cuts.

The key is to mount it so it can swing out of the way going in and out of steep drives yet have it balanced well enough that it won't sail going down the road. I used an eye bolt in each frame rail and a second eye bolt in the angle iron attached to the back of the guard (you can either buy one from the Ultra-Guard Co. or get a pice from your local home improvement store). In our case the eye bolts in the frame rails could be connected to the ones in the angle iron by a single 3/8" threaded quick link. On a coach with more ground clearance you may need a short length of chain connected at either end by a quick link.

I doubt the whole assembly weighs 50 lbs but it doesn't sail and keeps the coach and the Jeep relatively clean.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rex - ours is pretty well bunged up as well. I'm thinking that when I can't stand its looks any longer, it is coming off and not going to be replaced.

A veteran of many Alaska trips firmly believed these flaps caused more damage by dipping down into the gravel when the coach pitch poled and kicking up rocks as a result. Those rocks are aimed at your toad and anything else behind you.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I also replaced mine with another original one from Winny because of damage but after figuring out what is damaging these I took a tip from a guy parked next to me and I wish I had a pic right now for you to see. I will try to explain the solution he is using.

He figured out that his was being damage mostly from backing up and I will agree with him on this. Sometime when your backing have the better half watch your guard and you will see it hits the frame beneath the radiator or thereabouts. If you back up on grass or a slope it is even worse. When that happens it bends the stainless piece hence stressing the whole flap and even in a few cases tears the mounting hooks loose.

What he did was weld a hook on the under side of the receiver and then drill a hole in the center of the guard towards the bottom of the guard. Before he backs up he uses his awning hook to pull the flap to the hook hence the flap is held up out of the way of the ground. It is so simple and cheap to do but makes sense. I am in the process of doing just that. It is just a thought gang. Sorry, I am not trying to hijack the thread just help eliminate the problem.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I to feel at times the mud flap can do more harm than good. Not a perfect solution to have one nor perfect not to have one . I have chose thus far to tow without one. So far no problems. May change my mind some day if I crack the windshield on the CRV.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I can't stand its looks any longer, it is coming off and not going to be replaced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto!!! Mine has never been damaged ...it seems to hinge itself out of the way when it happens to drag the ground, at least so far. But from all I've read about them, I would not pay a penny to replace it. And if we traveled gravel roads, or ever make the drive to Alaska, it would no longer be hanging where it is!! I think the tiny mud flaps behind the duals, and the toad shield we use at the front of the toad, offer more protection. I've been tempted to remove it anyway, but haven't figured out a good use for it ...maybe there's a bar somewhere that would stick it over the bar mirror???
Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

There must be a considerable differences in the air flow characteristics of different makes and model coaches. Before we installed our Ultra Guard the back of the coach and the front of the toad were filthy. You almost had to wash the car before you dared getting near it. Thee back of the coach was so bad that the camera would need to be cleaned before you could use it to back up.

Since the installation they both get some dirt on them but I would estimate less than 10% of what it was before. We did get 1 stone chip on the windshield of the Jeep last summer in Alaska, but that was done by a truck passing in the opposite direction on a gravel road.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

As far as breaking off, I used (galvanized?) slightly bigger and stronger eye bolts the third time around and never had another problem.

For whatever reason the right eye bolt would always break and drag the guard down the road.
Anyway the stronger eye bolts took care of the problem...Good miles.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies. This seems to be a popular topic. I still need some advice.

First, I agree that the OEM mud flap gets damaged when backing up. That is how I damaged mine twice. It also gets damaged when leveling if the front is raised and the mud flap is caught under the coach. I think having a rear mud flap is a good idea (sorry John, I can't agree with you this time). I also think the UltraGuard flap is more flexible and less likely to get damaged.

Now, here is my dilemma. To install the UltraGuard, you attach an angle iron to the top edge. My current mud flap has a cut-out for the exhaust. How can I attach an angle iron and accomodate the cut-out for the exhaust? See my photo below. Note this photo is the good side of my mud flap. The driver's side is a mess.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
Tim

How did you attach the guard to the coach ...?
tkmayes is offline   Reply With Quote