Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Any safe ideas for removing heavy 27" sony tv ?

i have yet completed gaining access to tv, high front - equip doors left/right, seems mh was built AROUND the tv, removed 30+ screws still not close to removing wood and metal superstructure it seems. ;(

but once have access, how can a single person remove this likely 65lb tv from such a height ?

have thought of taping screen fully to retain glass and breaking and removing tube, which is most of weight but that could be messy, would use safety goggles and put down area tarp but still nasty !

any suggestions ??
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

To remove the front TV from your 2007 Voyage you need to do the following:
  1. Remove all of the screws holding up the plastic shroud around the underside of the TV. (Cover the defroster vents with a towel to keep things from falling down them! The little covers over the screw head should pop off by prying very gently via the tiny square hole you'll see on one side.) The tub won't fall down--it's attached via more screws from the inside to the wooden faceframe around the TV.
  2. If you have a center speaker above the TV, snap the cover off, remove the screws, and unplug the wires (making note of how it's connected.
  3. You should find a couple of screws into the wooden faceframe from inside the cabinets on either side of the TV. This may be hard to see since they're black on black!
  4. At this point the faceframe and attached shroud should tip out at the top and then come down and off.
  5. You should next disconnect all of the wiring from the back of the TV (again, making note of what was attached where).
  6. The TV itself is in a metal housing, probably held down with a metal bar across the top and double sided foam tape underneath. It's HEAVY, so you'll really want someone else to assist in lifting it down. I would expect to find a couple of large bolts (one on either side) holding the retaining bar in place--remove those and the bar should come off allowing you to remove the TV.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Excellent directions. That is exactly what I needed to do on my 2006 Journey. That TV is heavy, best if 2 people pull it out.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
i have yet completed gaining access to tv, high front - equip doors left/right, seems mh was built AROUND the tv, removed 30+ screws still not close to removing wood and metal superstructure it seems. ;(

but once have access, how can a single person remove this likely 65lb tv from such a height ?

have thought of taping screen fully to retain glass and breaking and removing tube, which is most of weight but that could be messy, would use safety goggles and put down area tarp but still nasty !

any suggestions ??
BTW, it really helps if you add a signature line with your RV info included so we know what RV you have.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
This I would not do! Inside CRT TVs are massive capacitors with many hundreds of volts inside. They hold all those volts like a battery and can kill the untrained TV repair person.

Get a friend or neighbor to help. And have them help you put it out on the curb or the back of a truck or SUV and then best of luck finding someone that will take it as "junk." It has no commercial value and you may even have to pay someone to haul it off.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In 2019 Best Buy would take picture tube TV's up to 29" if you paid them $50 each. Don't know if they still do.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

thanks but yep know about caps.

tv has not been on for over a yr - so almost certainly caps have discharged (would have to be a perfect cap to still be energized-unplugged tv way back then too) but also all that is at back bottom/under tube typ so no/little chance of touching.

besides the tube is in vacuum and EXplosion is unlikely, was/will tape up very well, duct tape & packing tape and put sheet of plastic as well, wear eye protection, and maybe drill hole first in tube - then hammer time !!

honestly do like having to ask ppl for help, but also will do in dark of night or whenever i feel like it, and beside WHO wants a 27" tube tv these days can buy lcd for almost nothing and light/portable !

nope plan to carry bits to dumpster and maybe cut up housing into bits and do same - and yes usually cost $$ to take to trash place - some will not accept them too.

yes hate to dispose like this but that is what a landfill does just dumps them - besides - in 100 years ppl will be digging up ALL landfills for materials - IF we last that long.

honestly, ALL products sold should have to go back to maker/distributor and THEY dispose of - but we are not smart enuf for that are we - saw that yrs ago bmw/germany made car makers to label all plastics w/ type so could 'recycle' correctly - does any other nation, sadly so many plastics can not be recycled or even reused in new form ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This I would not do! Inside CRT TVs are massive capacitors with many hundreds of volts inside. They hold all those volts like a battery and can kill the untrained TV repair person.

Get a friend or neighbor to help. And have them help you put it out on the curb or the back of a truck or SUV and then best of luck finding someone that will take it as "junk." It has no commercial value and you may even have to pay someone to haul it off.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
honestly, ALL products sold should have to go back to maker/distributor and THEY dispose of - but we are not smart enuf for that are we - saw that yrs ago bmw/germany made car makers to label all plastics w/ type so could 'recycle' correctly - does any other nation, sadly so many plastics can not be recycled or even reused in new form ?
To do that, all that has to happen is to get congress to pass a law and have the president sign it that requires all mfg or sellers to do just what you suggest.

Of course then the mfg or seller would have to add a few to several $$ to the price of the product to cover the cost.

Or the government could add a tax to those goods and products that would be dedicated to building recycling facilities to process it. Not sure if the government would pay private industry to do the processing or the government would build and do the processing. Another big argument about who would do it.

Additionally there would need to be an infrastructure setup, a few more $$, to collect all the stuff and move it to the recycling facility.

I don't think that it would cost all that much, at a per product price. But it would mean more government rules and regulations that some or many people are very strongly against.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Relative to the TV, Sony Flatscreen TVs are a unique glass design, the vast majority of the weight is the glass slab in the front of the TV. Aside from being pretty heavy, they are front heavy, be really careful when pulling out, especially if up high. My first apt was in a old renovated former Cavalry (Horse) barracks with a couple of steep and twisting stairways. My first big purchase for it was a 36 inch Sony Trinitron Tv for it, the thing easily weighed 250lbs and it was MISERY hauling it up there!

Relative to electronics and landfills, it can and has been done on the state level.
In Vermont, electronics are recycled for free to avoid them rotting in the landfill. The program is funded by a tax on manufacturers selling their products here. https://dec.vermont.gov/waste-manage...ip/electronics
Old 03-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
WinnieAdven38

I removed my 27" Sony from my 2005 Adventurer. It was quite a job, as they secured this incredibly well - which they need to considering its massive weight.

What I found is that there is a large metal band/strap which encircles the entire TV, but bolted down at either end to the panel the TV sits on. Once it figured that out was able to unbolt each end and free up the TV. Was then able to lift out and carry out that front door by myself - though just barely!

Replaced it with a 40" Samsung Smart TV which has worked great for years. Mounted it on a large, HD flexible TV mounting arm I got from Costco to enable it to be seen from more areas - and that was also a big improvement over the OE Sony.
* Also saved A LOT of weight.
* And the TV image is so much sharper & clearer.
* And - I can now directly access streaming channels to the new TV like Netflix and Youtube.
Love the new flat screen TV technology!!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Try to find a second person to help. Safety first!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

HappiHenri, was it hard to mount the swing out for lcd & have safe firm mounting & does it go out pretty far beyond edge of cabinet ?

I already have a 50" 4khd model lcd that i have a stand sitting on doghouse but would love to get rid of that - something else to move out of way when traveling - but a swing out mount seems hard to fit with size and doors on both sides of current 27" tv which i keep open normally so remotes work - dark smoke glass - open also for thermal !!

one step at time, first get tv out then .......
Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Removing Heavy 27" sony tv?

Ditto what Chris outlined for the steps to removal. I did the exact same mod and it is the best mod I've made yet. A 32" Samsung fit perfectly between the two flip out cabinet doors. I did save the wood frame around the old Sony as it came in handy for making some filler pieces for the sides.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Just FYI, here's the replacement I did (wow, 10 years ago!): Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We changed ours out on the Journey, heavy. Be glad you have a Winnie, husband started to change one out for a friend with another brand. Removed 1 screw and TV over drivers seat fell out. Out on the road that would have been tragic.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just removed the 27" Sony from my 04 Suncruiser 38R. The tv cabinet is on the floor behind the co-pilot seat. There is a storage cabinet below the tv and I found 2 clamps holding the tv down. I thought that was it and could not understand why I could not get the tv to budge. Eventually, I found 2 false panels in the bottom cabinet hiding bolts that secured a heavy steel strap going up and over the top of the tv. Once the strap was loosened, it was simple to get the tv to come out. I was able to lower it to the floor by myself and slide it out the door.
My son tells me there is actually a market for these tvs Apparently, gamers favor them because they have a faster response time. Check ebay
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Here's my recently completed project:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...nt-360648.html
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
HappiHenri, was it hard to mount the swing out for lcd & have safe firm mounting & does it go out pretty far beyond edge of cabinet ?

I already have a 50" 4khd model lcd that i have a stand sitting on doghouse but would love to get rid of that - something else to move out of way when traveling - but a swing out mount seems hard to fit with size and doors on both sides of current 27" tv which i keep open normally so remotes work - dark smoke glass - open also for thermal !!

one step at time, first get tv out then .......
I pulled out the old 27" or 29" TV and mounted a 43" LED flat screen TV in its place.

For a strong base to hold the swing out arm to hold the TV I cut a piece of furniture grade 3/4" plywood and bolted it to the steel frame work that held the old TV in place.

Then I bolted a heavy duty TV swingout arm to the plywood.

To hold the TV in place while driving I have a 1 1/2" wide buckle strap that I attached to the plywood at the top and bottom to hold the TV in place.

Since the 43" TV is wide enough to extend about 3" 4" beyond the two upper cabinet doors I just removed the doors. I can still access the stuff in the cabinets, I just have to reach around the side of the TV.

I have a satellite TV receiver that I place in the cabinet above the drivers seat. I also installed a 12V computer muffin fan that blows into the cabinet to keep the receiver cool. It gets really hot up there when the sun beats on the front of the RV.

If you have a RV with the entry door in the front, any TV bigger than 43" is really going to interfere with people coming up the steps. As it is, I put a foam bumper on the lower passenger corner of the TV in case we bump into it.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

This tread brings back a surprise.

I pulled my Sony TV out a few years ago. I had the idea that I would get all the attachment hardware off and then have my son give me a hand lifting it down. The nose of my MH must have been up a little. When the last bit of hardware came off so did the TV.

I was able to hold the TV in place, but help was an hour away and I had no way of calling for it. Fortunately, going down with a heavy piece of junk is a lot easier then going up with an expensive object. The point is - be prepared.