Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Any possibility besides water leak?

Noticed what looks like nails poking out at a place when I don’t think anything should be. I think I had some water coming in at the taillight about two feet below this place that I resealed a couple months ago. I don’t see any bad spots of sealer anywhere on the coach. This is at the left rear corner. Thoughts on anything back there that could cause this besides water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DD65482-1F3E-4A03-91B9-999D2AF5D7D4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	570.9 KB
ID:	184290  
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not quite sure what I am looking at, inside, outside, can you give a picture of a larger area so we can identify where you are looking? Something to provide a reference point?
Old 10-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think I recognize this as being the results of a leak. Much like what I found , so the question becomes where this is located.
Is it on the wall inside from the taillight, etc. which you mentioned leaking? In a storage space or is it inside and in full view?

If what we had, the tailight was not sealed and leaking. The water followed the wiring through the hole in the back wall and then was running down the inner side of the "Sandwich" which formed the RV backwall. Our wall was the hard outer layer, foam and then the thin wood of the inner and last was covered with the "decorator" layer of thin vinyl?

I suspect if you press on this somewhat gently, it gives pretty easy, indicating there is not much real wood left but just the crumbles that have not yet fully rotted. The bumps are some of the bits that swell.

I trade often and did not want to rework the entire back walland since it was storage,it gave me the chance to simply fix the leak outside, then cover the side to hide the damage and make it stronger in case it was bumped by stuff in storage. It was easy to see something like the grill bumping around and going totally through the wall~!

I have a pretty strong stapler, so just cut metal flashing to fit and stapled around the edges where it looked very much like a really good item to prevent wall damage in the storage area.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sure, thanks! The top of the taillight assembly is approximately 18” below where those spots are showing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2B87007F-09F4-4EB9-84C4-A02AC5BB1347.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	184295  
Old 10-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sorry, my thoughts were not correct at all. If the light is 18 inches below, not likely to be leaking there to get to the spot.
Does this look correct for the spot being above the light?
I was confused a bit by the mirror as it made me think I was looking forward in the RV, but on further looking, I see it as a mirror----just like you said!

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	184296

And then when getting my head on straight, I think I see this as a different problem entirely!

Do I see the sharp ends of staples driven too deep by a poorly adjusted air stapler, perhaps? If the air is cranked up too high, it can drive the staples, head and all, just a bit too deep into the super soft wood. Maybe that makes them stick through inside?

Name:	leak1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	184297
Old 10-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I’m not saying this is your issue, but another person had very similar looking dimples in their wallpaper and it was in their bathroom. Turns out it was water getting behind there and swelling up some of the wood particles forming the dimples in the wallpaper. In his case I think it was just excessive moisture which may be your case as well.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The spacing on the points seemed to be so uniform that it made me think of staples!

If one were a really bold person, he might try using a really sharp point, like an Exacto knife, to poke in and see if it hits hard stuff like a staple or if it is soft like wood swelling. Maybe a needle?

But doing things, even with pictures is not the best. From here I would have said those were more likely dents than points sticking up!

Maybe asking Winnebago if that is not a "factory defect" would be a good move?
Old 10-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’m leaning toward staples. I think I’ll call Winnebago and see if I can get the wallpaper. If so I think I’d replace that section and re-paper the whole back wall. (When it’s time to sell, because if that’s all it is I don’t care how it looks.) Although I may need to take it apart to make sure there are no other problems.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

How about using a magnet to see if they're staples? As long as they're ferrous it should work. I doubt they're stainless steel.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Good idea with the magnet!
This is one little gizmo that I've used a lot and will find drywall nails or screws, even when imbedded:

Name:	stud.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	184319

Price seems to vary with the amount of brass in the dealer.
Or is that just to make a "reasonable profit"!!
Old 10-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
How about using a magnet to see if they're staples? As long as they're ferrous it should work. I doubt they're stainless steel.
Good idea.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I recently noticed the exact same type of marks/protrusions in the wallpaper (bathroom exterior wall) on my 2013 Sightseer 33C. These dimples are pointy and hard, but not so much that I can’t push or crush with my fingernail. Can’t find any (other) evidence of water leaking, if this indeed is from a water leak, or could it be just from moisture in the air when showering?
smamols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak