Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another (sporadic)Coleman Mach Basement Heat Pump Problem

I have a 2002 Journey with the basement Coleman 6535 unit... The unit has generally worked very well, have changed out faulty fan Capacitors prior and off and running again; today I replaced a Compressor Run Capacitor thinking that may be the issue, nope. This problem has me stumped.. Yesterday, in heat mode, you could hear the fans start and compressor start, they would run for a couple seconds then quit, few minutes later same thing, this would happen several times then the unit would fire and stay running and bring the interior up to correct stat temp. This has happened several times throughout the day.
As I sit here writing this, the unit has cycled 1/2 dozen times, trying to start and then stop, this moment it has started and is running and I can feel the inside temps rising as they should (at this moment the unit is running properly). The outside air temp is approx 58F and our stat setting is 74F.
Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wish I could hear this unit "try" to start .......... or put an amprobe on it: but I'd hazard a "guess" anyway: A fairly common failure mode with older compressors is that they just sometimes get to be "hard starters" with internal wear and then they need more starting torque to get underway. With a strap-on "kicker" they often last many more years. These kicker/hard start capacitors are reasonable enough that it is probably worth "throwing a part" at it. It just takes a few minutes to install (couple of push-on flag connectors) once you get access to the run cap and the directions will be in the package. The kicker will be in parallel (additive) with the run cap and will only be active for milliseconds.........just a quick kick in the pants, so to speak; then it "drops out" of the ckt.

I buy mine at a wholesaler but you can get a popular one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Supco-ERPP6-C...ir+conditioner

Just my $.02, of course. Let us know how it all turns out, pls.

Someone on the forum may have had this exact problem......in which case, their advice would be better, methinks.

Good luck, and safe travels.

Ed S in Denver
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If the AC portion runs with out a problem, I would have your "Reversing valve" checked out When calling for heat this valve must change positions
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
If the AC portion runs with out a problem, I would have your "Reversing valve" checked out When calling for heat this valve must change positions
I agree, my gut feeling aswell.. I think the valve is sticking...
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had tech check my unit.. Could find nothing wrong.. Seems I was not recieveing proper voltage, 50 Amp, at campground.. Tech fired up generator, no Colman Mach heat pump issues... all amperage and volts were correct.
I purchased a good quality surge protector which also cuts power with power drops below 108V or over 130V...
plugged into new site, unit is working as designed...
Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nothing like speaking from experience.
=== Replace AIR FILTER ====

Now Start troubleshooting.
n9bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Nice to hear a story with a happy ending, Petesflhtk. Thanks for letting us all know how it turned out........................ appreciate it.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

****Updatae****

Well, guess I spoke to quickly.. My gremlin has returned... Sporatic/not starting starting as designed. Sometimes 1st or Compressor cuts in them immediately shuts down or raises temp partially up yo stat temp then stops..
Old 07-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem on my 2002 Journey. It seems to be worse after the unit has not been run for a few days/weeks. It does it in heat or cool mode. Once it has been running for a while it seems to be ok. Thanks
Fred66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement heat pump, heat, heat pump