Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

another roof problem

Noticed a 3' straightline seperation in my roof of my 06 adventurer. Turns out it is a perfectly straight seperation with a 90 degree 6 " turn. The roof is actually open to the material underneath. Took it to La mesa for repair expecting to get something from Winnies famous 10 year roof warranty. The problem is some type of seperation/delamification in an area of the roof about a foot in from the front edge. Found out Winnie only warrants labor for 3 years on the roof and a seperate company has a limited warranty on the material. So in effect there is no warranty after 3 years because the real cost is labor and this other company only covers part of the material. Not so much dissapointing as sad. I,ve had several winnies over the years and the sales people always brag on the roof warranty. I like many out there never knew the specifics of the roof warranty. This is not a knock on winn ind, just a message about what the warranty really covers which after 3 years is really nothing much. I think some 3m 5200 and a little eternabond will probably have to do.
pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I agree with you that the roof has been and probably will continue to be
marketed with ongoing deceptive practices by only mentioning the warrantee on the material and not even that it is limited. I blame the dealers for this.

3M 5200 is not UV resistant so you need to make sure you paint it or cover it with Eternabond. Eternabond is definitively the way to go.

I did all my seems a couple of years ago and the roof has been maintenance free since.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

That's a sad note for WB....pretty deceptive
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

pattcook, you might want to take another look at your case.

In year 7 of my ownership I was able to collect a $5400 check from the fiberglass company for repair of lots of cracks up to 1 inch all along both sides of the roof where it bends to meet the sidewalls.

I was denied 3 times. They 1st said it was normal, then blamed Winnebago, then said my photos were not detailed enough. So with the help of Pre-Paid Legal, I submitted paperwork and filed in small claims in CA. Without the help, encouragement, and expertise of "The Paint Department" in Chino, CA I would of given up after the 2nd denial. Crane Composites then requested a 2nd quote from a Winnie dealer which came in at just over $7000. The next correspondence was a check in the mail.

Hope you have some good luck,
Bill

Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Noticed a 3' straightline seperation in my roof of my 06 adventurer. Turns out it is a perfectly straight seperation with a 90 degree 6 " turn. ... The problem is some type of seperation/delamification in an area of the roof about a foot in from the front edge.
Is the crack/gap along the front cap to roof seam and side seam? ...or out on the roof itself totally away from either of those seams? That sounds like a seam of some kind, and definately not something that would happen on a single sheet. Any crack would normally be a bit crooked...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The seperation is about a foot in from the edge of the roof.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Can you post a picture?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you can schedule a trip to Forest City, this would be my advise. They are very experienced with repairing roofs. I would trust no one else. I had a slide roof leak on my last rig. After several dealers and many years of trying to get the problem fixed I ended up at the factory service center. The drive and time was well worth it. If that had been my first choice of inconvenience I would have saved money.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If you can schedule a trip to Forest City, this would be my advise. They are very experienced with repairing roofs. I would trust no one else. I had a slide roof leak on my last rig. After several dealers and many years of trying to get the problem fixed I ended up at the factory service center. The drive and time was well worth it. If that had been my first choice of inconvenience I would have saved money.
Its 3800 miles round trip to Forrest city for us. Hardly a choice.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattcook View Post
Its 3800 miles round trip to Forrest city for us. Hardly a choice.
It is if you make it a vacation trip and do it in shorter legs. Well, this may not be fair on my part because I am thinking as a retired used-to-be living and loving my RV home life. I did travel from Seattle to Forest City for the slide roof leak problem. When we left Forest City we went at a more leisurely pace. You could do this in a month and not be over stressed.

Consider this. Is it more to your advantage to stay where you are and hope that the roof is repaired correctly or to take a vacation through some great country and places to visit to get to a place that WILL do the correct job for you? It is human nature to be mad and make choices based upon what we expect. Are you certain you can afford to do that in this case?

I wish and hope the best for you. I am truly sorry for you that this great issue is what you are dealing with. It certainly can mess up ones attitude.

Be blessed.

Rick

Tags
roof