Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Another Roof Edge Failure Video

Here's another roof edge failure video from AZ Expert:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Team

I was going to post this one today, as well. It's a good video full of lots of good info for Winnie motorhome owners with fiberglass roofs. Especially details about what happens with the WBGO recommended Manus Bond 75 sealant over time on the roof radius channels.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

Thank for the video!

I just used GeoCell "ProFlex" Clear to re-glue my roof radius, but now I want to go one step further.

I just post these questions on the YouTube Channel to see what the AZ Expert thinks, but if anyone has already tried one of these additional methods, please let us know what results you are getting?

So if GeoCell "ProFlex" Clear is the adhesive of choice these days... what can I PUT ON TOP of the ProFlex Clear (like a top coat) that will give it more protection from UV sun damage, and keep my roof radius maintenance free for 5+ years?

Specifically, what do you think will stick to ProFlex that has better UV protection properties than ProFlex? For example: After I glue the roof radius with ProFlex and let it dry: A) How about running a bead of 100% Silicon Clear on top? ...Or B) Tape and spray Flex Glue Clear over the ProFlex? ...Or C) Topcoat the ProFlex with black or white 1/4" butyl tape? I'm posing these questions, because it seems like the UV rays are breaking down the urethane (or hybrid) sealants so if you top coat the ProFlex it will last longer. What do you think?

Note: My concern has to do with chemical reactions between dissimilar sealants. I.e., if you top coat using a solvent based sealant/caulk/paint... will that break down the ProFlex?

This maybe why they recommend using latex paint over caulk. IDK? The problem with paint is that it is brittle and I know that roof radius skin needs to move somewhat in the roof channel. So if GeoCell FlexPro is the sealant of choice that covers adhesion and flexibility concerns... What more can be done to protect it from the damaging UV sun rays?

I think the best UV protection is paint and/or rubber compounds and then 100% silicon. So I wonder if using a butyl tape or Flex Seal Clear a better option than top coating the ProFlex with silicon... for the expressed purpose of achieving a maintenance free roof for 5+ years instead of 2-3 years like what I'm doing now?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am a firm believer of eternbond tape to cover the seams after you have recaulked them.
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabass View Post
I am a firm believer of eternbond tape to cover the seams after you have recaulked them.
Agreed. Belt AND suspenders.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

I used Eternabond once and it worked great, but I did not care for the "black" strip over my painted roof radius. ...If you have a white roof radius then "white" Eternabond tape is a good permanent the solution that may not look "acceptable."

There is another thread I started on this subject, so I will post this update there as well:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...od-359122.html

UPDATE

I ordered a $10 roll of "LLPT Caulk Tape-Clear" on Amazon and tested it's adhesion on my car paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...91CK8ZYM&psc=1

I am very impressed with it's thickness, clarity, grip, and the tape is almost unnoticeable when applied to a flat surface.

However, I have not tried it on my RV roof radius, because I don't pick-up my RV from storage until ~April-2021. So maybe someone else who is willing to try this $10-$20 solution ($20 for 2 rolls) can let us know how they make out?

My concern is that the roof channel will interfere with the adhesion of the tape? (TBD) ...And if this clear tape pulls off at some point then that's sort of rules this option out.

I also considered putting a bead of 100% silicon on top of the Geocel Proflex, to act as a UV barrier, but I have since learned that silicon has acidic properties that may breakdown the Proflex over time. (Unknown if it really does?)

So after much thought, I'm changing my position on what can be done to extend the life of our Proflex roof sealant -- by protecting it from UV damage? And I think using a can of Flex Pro Clear will work best. This stuff will add a clear rubber barrier that should look good and last. ...Just tape, spray, and peal off the tape away leaving the Flex Pro Clear only on top of the Proflex.

Now who is willing to be the first Gennie Pig? ...Or you you will have to wait for me to try Pro Flex-Clear in April/May 2021 and I will post another update then.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2017 Winnebago Adventurer 35P

Winnebago no longer has* sealant C (185987-03-CHT ) that is on my callout sheet. 185987-03-CHT has been replaced with self leveling 342414-01-01A,* $15.85 per tube at Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, Iowa. It might be made by Sika. I can update my post after I receive it from Lichtsinn. I just ordered this to re-seal the entire seam where the front cap meets the roof. It looks like the wide strip on the front is mostly gone. How does that happen? Do you think it could have been damaged when I had the motorhome professionally washed and waxed? The guy used a power washer but I asked him to be careful near the caulking. The end cap meeting the back of the roof is fine.
Has anyone used this new product?
Thanks!
Roberta
Bob45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof