Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another overheating 454 experience but this one is SOLVED!

Hi all

We own since 3 years the best motorhome in the world :

We are the happy owners of a 1991 Winnebago Warrior!

But as many as experienced the engine was always too hot.

We looked for advice and heard many different thinks.

For some mechanics there is nothing to do : Class A motorhomes with 454 are always too hot and that's it.

But I met another Warrior's owner that changed his radiator and said that since he can tow any trailer without running hot.

As it is a mess to do (we do not live in the US and only use our rig for holidays + radiator is not more available in Chevy stock) : we stayed in this uncomfortable situation for 5 journeys until the radiator started to leak like hell : Up to 2 gallons per day : time to find a solution.

It came from ebay : This radiator is very well made and fits perfectly (even if the transmission was cooled by another small radiator that we changed too)
[Broken Link Removed]

We changed too : the water pump + the fan clutch (that was definitively defective too) + hoses + belts.

As the front ac was not working anymore : we removed the big condensator that was just placed before the engine radiator.

And this fix was 100% successful !

Since we climbed up to 10000ft and the engine was colder at the top than at the bottom : That was totally unexpected !

I know that this post looks like to open ...already opened doors but I know too that many hesitate to make this expense on an old rig.

I want to thanks Erick from Rick's Automotive in Winnemucca that did a great job and found time for us in the middle of august.

But I want to add that if you have time, tools and a little of patience : It can be made at home.

Hope it could help and sorry for my poor english.
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the AC loss is okay, that is one big thing to get more air through the engine radiator as it is not in front to block some of the air! Good to hear things can be made to work!

As for the English, I am sure your English as a second language is far better than most of us would be using your first language!

I have a granddaughter who has a lot of laughs because I speak Japanese so poorly but she can speak English and Japanese much better than I can!
She tells her mother that she has to tell me what the Japanese cartoons say because, "Grampa did not pay attention in school!"
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

As the ebay link is not working anymore this could help:
https://superiorradiator.net/shop/ol...ine-oil-cooler
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, heat