Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

In the past several weeks I have replaced both the resistor pack and thermostat for the heater-A/C in my 98 Brave, P-30 Chassis. The heater-A/C is an Acme blend air unit supplied to Winnebago by SCS. My original problem was the lack of high speed on the heater fan. Now that those parts have been replaced, I have ONLY high speed on the heater fan. If I have to live with only one, I would prefer it be high speed for the A/C benefit, but would rather have it working correctly. I will go back and recheck all the connections, but in the mean time - is there anyone that has any suggestions???
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In the past several weeks I have replaced both the resistor pack and thermostat for the heater-A/C in my 98 Brave, P-30 Chassis. The heater-A/C is an Acme blend air unit supplied to Winnebago by SCS. My original problem was the lack of high speed on the heater fan. Now that those parts have been replaced, I have ONLY high speed on the heater fan. If I have to live with only one, I would prefer it be high speed for the A/C benefit, but would rather have it working correctly. I will go back and recheck all the connections, but in the mean time - is there anyone that has any suggestions???
Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem. I only have high and I tried replacing the resistor pack but it didn't help...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This is the wiring diagram from Acme. Hope it helps. It looks like the problem couls be the relay.

2000 Trek 2830 6.5 Diesel
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The relay may be the problem, it is the only part I have not yet replaced. I thought because I have high speed, that the relay would be OK, but I see by the diagram that the relay would involve all the speeds. Is there a simple way to test the relay, or is it just easer to replace it?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just replaced the relay on mine & it now works perfectly on all speeds! THANK YOU for the diagram.
NAPA part # AR143 cost $11.33
I brought the old one in for perfect match...

Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert & Kiki:
Just replaced the relay on mine & it now works perfectly on all speeds! THANK YOU for the diagram.
I brought the old one in for perfect match... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it worked for you, hopefully it will work for me too!!

I've replaced everything else, it seems that the relay is the only thing left. Looks like a trip to my local NAPA store soon.

This and other forums have saved me countless hours of trouble shooting, and have generally been "right on" for the fixes. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

To all who have replied and especially Robert for the part number. The relay was the only part I had not previously replaced and that was in fact exactly what it needed. Thanks for all the help, everything is working correctly now.

The forum comes through again. I was able to accomplish the repair for far less than the cost to take it somewhere and have it diagnosed.
This place is great.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I love it when a plan comes together ! I know how you feel about finally getting it fixed for a few dollars not a few hundred dollars. Very glad to help out..Sure made my week when it worked for me. We are leaving Monday for over a month on the road(maybe two) so I'm a happy camper now !

Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

have a great trip, wish I could afford the time now myself. I hope your contacts with Winnebago will result in a positive resolution to your problems with your motor home soon.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert & Kiki:
I brought the old one in for perfect match... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
.Hey, Thanks for the part # I Just walked into the parts store and gave them that number and
WaLA, they gave me the correct part. Just
great! Just what we needed. Thanks Robert and Kiki
Oh well, after installing and trying the heater-AC the high speed fan still doesn't work. The fuses check out ok, and when I put the fan speed selector switch on high the fan stops. I looked at the relay and can actually see that it is pulling in on tha high speed setting so I gather that it is working. I would also think that the selector switch is working as the relay pulls in on high speed and doesn't engage on the lower 3 speeds. I'm at a loss now. I checked the relay grounds etc. all looks good. I guess it's the fan motor itself.Well, I can live with just 3 fan speeds, I guess?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

edit-OH My
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I pulled the fan speed switch out today. It's a mechanical switch, and doesn't look like anything can go bad with it, just a contact,position type which connects 3 wires at a time in the different positions. The fan still works in the first 3 speeds, just not high.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Saw A post somewhere about the high speed fan having a seperate in line fuse ..

Old 05-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Bobpie, have you checked all the connections where the control harness connects to the motor home wiring. I noticed while rooting around under the dash on mine there were several plugs that felt a bit loose. Sounds too simple, but who knows?

Before I did anything to mine, I was getting fan on only the lower speeds. When I replaced the resistor pack I then only got high speed - and could even turn it on when the ignition was off. After replaceing the relay (all parts now replaced) it is working as designed. Fortunately the parts were inexpensive, and thanks to this forum, I was able to get the repair completed for less than a service call to trouble shoot the system would have cost.