Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2022, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

anode check and replacement while on the road

Am curious how you check this while traveling. Is it as simple as turning off the water supply and unscrewing the anode? Guess we would drop all of the water in the hot water heater, but think that should be it? Also bought one of those flushing tools so would probably make a bigger mess at the campsite with that than what drains out of the tank. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would not attempt to drain the heater when the water is hot, too much danger of getting scalded. Otherwise you have a good plan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Any special urgency while you are traveling? When was it last checked?

I check mine as a routine every time I winterize which averages 2 or 3 times per year. I replace mine at 50% but Mfg says 25%.

In addition to ensure the water is not hot, make sure pump is off before removing the anode and when draining open the pressure release valve to get all of the water out.

Ironically, I have new anodes in one of my bays, but I can't ever imagine needing to put one in while traveling.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

By "on the road" are you fulltiming? If not I would think there is no need for it until you are off the road. Your process is correct, as other have said make sure the water is cold before you empty. A 15/16 socket should take care of your needs. As long as you have it out use the cleaning wand you have. It really makes less of a mess than the empting does. I would then go to a big box store and get a round wire brush made for cleaning out the threads. I have found this to help get rid of bits of teflon tape and particals.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Does a 2022 Adventurer have an Anode Rod? What brand water heater have you got? My 2017 Adventurer has an Atwood water heater and they don't have Anode Rods, at least not from the factory.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. Great questions that would make you and me wonder why I would even start this post.

1) Coach was brand new when we picked it up in March - have never checked the anode. We have been on the road since July - 6 months into a planned 18 month adventure and also did a week plus shake down run prior to heading out for real.

I figure we camped about 3 weeks a year on average previously and think this would be a good estimate for most campers. Our 6 months non-stop would equate to about 8 years of use at the three weeks a year rate!

Our previous rig did not use an anode in the water heater.

And finally, my plan is to never have to winterize again!

2) It is a Suburban and here is a pic of the little guy to confirm it for you!

Appreciate you all and Merry Christmas to you and yours...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	184837  
Old 12-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
Thanks guys. Great questions that would make you and me wonder why I would even start this post.

1) Coach was brand new when we picked it up in March - have never checked the anode. We have been on the road since July - 6 months into a planned 18 month adventure and also did a week plus shake down run prior to heading out for real.

I figure we camped about 3 weeks a year on average previously and think this would be a good estimate for most campers. Our 6 months non-stop would equate to about 8 years of use at the three weeks a year rate!

Our previous rig did not use an anode in the water heater.

And finally, my plan is to never have to winterize again!

2) It is a Suburban and here is a pic of the little guy to confirm it for you!

Appreciate you all and Merry Christmas to you and yours...
That is exactly what I have. While I will never come close to 6 months continuous, my hot water tank is filled with fresh water 95% of the time, today with 16 degree temperatures is exception. The suburban manual has a picture of when they should be replaced. For what they cost and maybe for you, if you pull it to check you might go ahead and replace? I don't. I put it back in unless less than 50% usage. Most people replace when they don't have to.

I guess you must be in areas where winterizing is never necessary, so yes you should pull just to eyeball it. When you do drain it, that valve on top is what you need to open to release all of the pressure.

FWIW, I have been using mine 3 years and replaced once and it still had usable life.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update:
Got around to doing some maintenance this week - 8 months into out Grand Adventure - including checking the anode and flushing the hot water heater tank.
Here is a pic of the anode - tons of life left. Also, hardly anything came out of the tank when I flushed.
Considering we have mainly been in areas with really hard water this is pretty impressive. I am sure the water softener we got in late December has helped a bit.
Will most likely perform the same function sometime this summer and we'll see how it looks then.
Looks like something they pull up from a shipwreck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annode.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	185138  

Tags
ace, replace, replacement