Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I just returned from Redlands truck & Rv, (one of our sponsers)
It was about a 60-70 mile trip for me. I called Keith about his O'night facilities as I did not want to hit the LA traffic on a Monday morning and arrived Sun. night. They have some 50 amp. available for you.
Anyway about 6.30 in the morning Keiths Sister Sharon showed up. (co-owner) and opened up the gates a put away two very capable gaurd dogs.
Anyway Sharon showed me where to park inside. I had scheduled a transmission fluid change and a radiator coolant change.
Keith showed up and gave my coach a once over.
He felt my tires and had me feel where the tires showed different wear patterns and suggested a front end alignment as he suspected toe out.
I agreed, and also had them do a 4 point weight check.
They went right to work on it. When it was up on the alignment rack the teck. spotted a lot of oil/crud from the R/front wheel area and said the seal had failed.
Anyway what they did was change my tranny fluid to transynd plus all the filters.
Radiator flush with new coolant.
Repair the R/front seal and fluid proper levels on both wheels.
Did a laser alignment on the chassis with a ride height check.
Here is what is interesting.
mY 2002 Journey hasa GAWR of Front #9350 and a rear GAWR of 17,500.
GVW of 26,850
Here is the 4 point weight. I had all onboard I normally carry. Fresh water about 3/4 full and black and grey tanks full of the 1/4 part of the fresh tanks.
I did not have clothes in the rear clothes closet nor did I have food in the refer.
Fuel was above the 3/4 mark barely, and propane about 3/4.
FRONT left 3700#------------Front Right 3600#
REAR left 7800#------------REAR Right 7900#
Total Left 11500# Right 11,500#
Total 23,000#------This to me is amazing that I could be so close in side to side and not even close to the GVW. They adjusted the tire pressure for these values.
So on my drive home to my storage area I had a good chance to evaluate what my laser alignment did for me.
Well was I pleased to say the least. A BIG differnce. This LITTLE Journey is a keeper.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just returned from Redlands truck & Rv, (one of our sponsers)
It was about a 60-70 mile trip for me. I called Keith about his O'night facilities as I did not want to hit the LA traffic on a Monday morning and arrived Sun. night. They have some 50 amp. available for you.
Anyway about 6.30 in the morning Keiths Sister Sharon showed up. (co-owner) and opened up the gates a put away two very capable gaurd dogs.
Anyway Sharon showed me where to park inside. I had scheduled a transmission fluid change and a radiator coolant change.
Keith showed up and gave my coach a once over.
He felt my tires and had me feel where the tires showed different wear patterns and suggested a front end alignment as he suspected toe out.
I agreed, and also had them do a 4 point weight check.
They went right to work on it. When it was up on the alignment rack the teck. spotted a lot of oil/crud from the R/front wheel area and said the seal had failed.
Anyway what they did was change my tranny fluid to transynd plus all the filters.
Radiator flush with new coolant.
Repair the R/front seal and fluid proper levels on both wheels.
Did a laser alignment on the chassis with a ride height check.
Here is what is interesting.
mY 2002 Journey hasa GAWR of Front #9350 and a rear GAWR of 17,500.
GVW of 26,850
Here is the 4 point weight. I had all onboard I normally carry. Fresh water about 3/4 full and black and grey tanks full of the 1/4 part of the fresh tanks.
I did not have clothes in the rear clothes closet nor did I have food in the refer.
Fuel was above the 3/4 mark barely, and propane about 3/4.
FRONT left 3700#------------Front Right 3600#
REAR left 7800#------------REAR Right 7900#
Total Left 11500# Right 11,500#
Total 23,000#------This to me is amazing that I could be so close in side to side and not even close to the GVW. They adjusted the tire pressure for these values.
So on my drive home to my storage area I had a good chance to evaluate what my laser alignment did for me.
Well was I pleased to say the least. A BIG differnce. This LITTLE Journey is a keeper.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just curious, how many hours did they spend doing all this work, and if I may ask, what was your total bill when you left. I do a lot of my own maintenance but most of what you had done I may try our local diesel shop to see what they might charge. Expecially the coolant change and front end alignment, I know what my coach weighs at all four corners which is the first thing I did after purchasing it.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

RCtime, we have a 34H '03 Journey and we too noticed we were well under the GVWR. We have not four corner weight checked it, but all seems to be just fine going down the road. We too enjoy our LITTLE Journey! Me thinks it's going to be our last coach as we're starting to put some serious money into it. We're just at 34K miles and I just replaced the shocks to Koni FSD's (in hopes of a smoother ride) and next year all the rubber will be replaced. Now I'm starting to scrape and paint the chasis! Oh what we do for our home away from home!
Enjoy the journey in your Journey!
Tagalong
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2
Here is my bill total.
Parts
Filter kit-Trans. Allyson------58.27
Filter kit 4" 85.64
Traynsind oil 255.36
Flush cooling system?? 6.57
'Coolant-pre-mix-bulk 55.96
Wheel seal 56.14

Labor
Transydnd service/R/R filters
etc. 187.50
Coolant flush 125.00
R/R front wheel seal 125.00
Fr/ axle alignment, toe in/
camber/caster/center steering wheel
chk. rear axle align. insp. components
Weigh coach 50.00
tax 42.00
total $1321.44
I spent some big time money and I still have to go back for a 2nd fluid change on the transmission after a period of use, next year for the benefits of the transynd extended non yearly service thing.
It needed to be done, so that is that.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Now I KNOW why I do my own maintenance whenever possible. I couldn't afford this coach if I had to shell out $$$$ like that.

I realize the Transynd is pricey. What is interesting is that authorized Allison transmission rebuilders don't notice a difference with the first versus the second change. They say to get the transmission HOT and then, using thick acid proof gloves, carefully drain the system via the drain plugs. After the system is relatively empty, carefully remove the filter caps and filters and drain the remaining few quarts.

I have been told (by this same shop and others) that this gets 98% of the old fluid out. With the new filters and Transynd fluid, you are good to go on your extended service interval as the Transynd is compatible with the Dextron III that you are replacing...assuming that is what your Allison has in it now (it usually is).

Just my $.02 (see, I told you that kind of bill wouldn't work for me... .
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

Funny thing about the Allison MH3000 transmission is that it holds 26 quarts of fluid minimum! A question for quikduk, how much oil did you see come out of the transmission? As I understand it, when the transmission oil is "changed", only a small percentage of the oil actually comes out of the transmission/torque converter.

I find it odd that it's called an oil ˜change' if this is true. Maybe it should be called a ˜perk up' instead. I see prices for TranSyndŽ in the $35 per gallon area and AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid for anywhere from $26 to $45 per gallon. Six and a half gallons could cost you upwards of $300 just for the oil if it all got replaced.

Anyway, with TranSyndŽ installed from the factory, it is supposedly good for 150,000 miles. It's the 48 month thing that gets us. I wonder if you ˜have' to change it if it passes an Allison oil test? Seems like where you live should affect this time limit. Sea level, hot and humid or high altitude and very dry.

If you can get the AMSOIL for much less than TranSyndŽ then according to the AMSOIL web site, it looks like they will cover any damage cause by the oil that isn't covered by Allison.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quikduk
I'd like to do more of my maintainance like you do. Where do you do yours? How do you safely raise the coach some do fluid changes, etc.
thx,
Jon

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote