Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The 3000 6 speed Allison transmission in our 2004 Journey 36G per the book required 17.5 quarts. After dropping the oil and installing new filters, 17 quarts did not seem to fill it so I called Allison. They told me per my transmission serial number it would require 19 quarts. So I added nineteen quarts, worrying that I might overfill it. The 300 yard dip stick shows oil on it that seemed to be between the lines as opposed to no oil. But its accuracy is hard to judge. After driving until the transmission got up to speed, I used the shifter pad to check the oil level and with the transmission at 164 degrees the code is "OL-Lo 2" which means two quarts low. The RV was level. I have been told that the shifter pad sensor is supposed to be accurate. Two quarts seems to me to be a lot off. Makes me think the sensor is not accurate. I thought before I called Allison I would check here to see if anyone has had a similar experience?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The 3000 6 speed Allison transmission in our 2004 Journey 36G per the book required 17.5 quarts. After dropping the oil and installing new filters, 17 quarts did not seem to fill it so I called Allison. They told me per my transmission serial number it would require 19 quarts. So I added nineteen quarts, worrying that I might overfill it. The 300 yard dip stick shows oil on it that seemed to be between the lines as opposed to no oil. But its accuracy is hard to judge. After driving until the transmission got up to speed, I used the shifter pad to check the oil level and with the transmission at 164 degrees the code is "OL-Lo 2" which means two quarts low. The RV was level. I have been told that the shifter pad sensor is supposed to be accurate. Two quarts seems to me to be a lot off. Makes me think the sensor is not accurate. I thought before I called Allison I would check here to see if anyone has had a similar experience?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd call Allison again and ask if their 19 quart figure included the amount to go into two new filters.

I'm curious as to why you changed the fluid. I might have missed a change.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have 100% TranSynd, the interval is 36 months /75k miles for the 2 filters, and 48 months/150k miles for fluid.

Don't forget the initial 5k mile service for the main filter change only.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Don't forget the initial 5k mile service for the main filter change only. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don,

Where did you get your information for just changing the filter at the initial 5K miles?

My interpretation of Freightliner's Maintenance Manual for Initial Maintenance (IM - 6000 miles or 6 months) included changing both filters, internal and external, as well as the Transdyne oil. The Freightliner (and Allison certified) dealer had this in their system as a standard steps of RV IM as well.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was told by the Freightliner dealer that there is no 5k filter change. Only the 36 month filter change and the 150k fluid change.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It seemed to me like this area could use some clarification (myself included). So I downloaded the latest versions of both the Freightliner and Allison manuals/maintenance schedules and re-read them in detail.

The FTL manual's maintenance summary schedule lists MD/MH transmissions get everything at IM 6 months/12K miles. But when you read the details in section 26-03 of the FTL manual it goes on to say the IM and more frequent service only applies to transmissions built before January 1st, 2004 (i.e. not 100% TranSynd).

Given the component/chassis lead times I think the change to 100% TranSynd was in the Winnie 2005 model year so those with '04 and older rigs will have a more frequent maintenance schedule unless they change over to 100% Transynd. Look for the label in the back that says "Fill only with TransSynd" to be sure.

NOTE: The Allison manual lists the 75K/36 months cycle for "Severe Vocations" and a longer cycle for "General Vocations". However, the FTL manual clearly says to ignore the Allison schedule.

I found no reference to an initial filter change at 5K miles or otherwise.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

SteveG - I had exactly the same situation with my 2004 Meridian/Alliison 3000. The manual does say that due to lines and such some transmissions may require 19 1/2 quarts, which I started with and the touch pad still read 2 Lo. I called Allison, they asked if the coach had set for some time before draining the oil, which it had. They said that could allow more oil to drain out of the lines and converter, and told me to add 1 1/2 quarts then check the level again. This I did and it checked OK then. I do know that my previous coach on a GM chassis would leak oil out the drive shaft seal if the coach set too long in one place (the Chev dealer said this allowed extra oil to drain out of the converter and overflowing the pan). It all sounds reasonable to me.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2 I did call Allison to ask about the 2 quart low message I am receiving after installing 19 quarts. They agreed with their previous recommendation to you that the refill of 19 quarts is only an approximation and that the setting time will affect the refill capacity. So I will also add 1 quarts. Allison said that if the shifter touch-pad still reads one quart low I should add the quart and that should bring it to capacity. Allison also confirmed that the touch pad is very accurate.
I hate telling this but for the sake of others: the Allison transmission drain plug is a stud with a : drive indent to mechanically move it. There is a washer that seems to be pressed on the stud that acts as the base for the o-ring that seals the port. Needless to say I am going to blame the guy before me, but possibly I may have applied too much muscle and wrung that washer off the stud as I was tightening the stud in place. Fortunately I felt it right away and backed the stud out and set there and looked at the two pieces.
On the positive side, because I stopped wrenching in time I did not screw the stud on into the pan causing me to have to remove the pan. And I now have a spare so if ever again (can't image it happening twice) I'll not have to stop the oil change for two days while I drive long distance to retrieve a new plug. And they aren't cheap as two cost me $25.26.
Point of the story is the time to fix the drain plug surely contributed to more oil draining.
As usual, thanks for the assistance.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If all of you would take a minute to read the Allison Owners Manual which should have come with your motorhome.Manual # OM3349EN Printed October 2002,page #42 the 3000MH and 4000MH transmissions,change the "Main Filter Element Only" at 5000 miles.Next fiter change ( both this time) at 75,000 miles or 3 years.Fluid change for transmissions with TranSynd next service at either 150,000 miles or 4 years which ever comes first.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra ( Allison came with TranSynd )
87 Nisson PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I read a message from somebody indicating that the Allison initial main filter element change requirement had been dropped for the most recent transmissions (not mine). I can't vouch for that however, so I agree the best bet would be to read your own Allison manual and/or contact Allison if you have questions.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Jon,

Check out This Post on Allison Transmission service. Page 2 has the specifics relative to the websites and where the info is coming from regarding service intervials for the 5K initial service, and then filter and oil change intervals. Has both for TranSynd and Dexron.

It is also in the Allison manual, and the Freightliner manual, but the info in the Freightliner manual is a little confusing (follow down further in the post above to read about).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Don,

As I stated previously the Freightliner manual specifically says to ingore the Allison manual. Also, in my copy of the Allison manual there is no mention of a 5K service for TranSynd units.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Jon,

Been away from the internet for the past week as I've been traveling. Was at the FMCA rally in Perry where Allison made a presenation, and the info was reiterated.... 5K initial main filter change for units built before a specific date (late '06 or early '07). Check by s/n on the Allison website.

The post I referenced before has all the info. I also called Freightliner, and they confirmed that if you have 100% TranSynd (which you do) then the previous info posted for Transynd is correct. The Freigthliner manual is confusing on this point, as it assumes the OEM's may have put in a mix of Dexron.

Winnie has been putting in 100% TranSynd since '04/'05. Call Freightliner with your VIN # and they will confirm what you have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Don,

I finally made it to the Allison web site and found their tool that spells out the maintenance cycle for the specific transmission and configuration and also, type of filter used.

And yes, there the 5K filter change was noted.

I was amazed to see the how the cycles vary from 24 to 48 months and 50K to 150K miles depending on the sump type (amount of fluid) and filter type. I'm not even sure what my sump size is.

The only thing I found in regards to when the transmission was made was whether it had 100% synthetic in it and a serial number break for 1/1/2006 and later that says the warranty details are different.

I've started a new discussion in the Freightliner forum including a link to the Allison maintenance tool to continue this discussion for a wider audience.