Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone ever tried this? I have a 2001 36' Journey, 5.9 Cummins( 274 HP, 600 lb ft) with Allision 2000MH 5 speed. It runs good, but seems a little low on power when climbing big hills out west espicially on hot days. I can't do any motor upgrades such as Banks or BD because the transmission can't take anymore horse/torque. If you were to believe the ads from either Banks or BD I could add between 63-70 HP and 143-220 lb ft of torgue bringing the new totals for the 5.9 to 338-345 HP and 743-820 lb ft of torgue. The only way to do this would be to install a new Allision 6 speed 3000MH.

If I spent $20k that's only 10% of the cost of a new MH and we like our current rig. I of course could live with what I have, it always gets us to where we're going, just seems to struggle up those big hills.

Does anyone know of a shop that has done this kind of upgrade?

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone ever tried this? I have a 2001 36' Journey, 5.9 Cummins( 274 HP, 600 lb ft) with Allision 2000MH 5 speed. It runs good, but seems a little low on power when climbing big hills out west espicially on hot days. I can't do any motor upgrades such as Banks or BD because the transmission can't take anymore horse/torque. If you were to believe the ads from either Banks or BD I could add between 63-70 HP and 143-220 lb ft of torgue bringing the new totals for the 5.9 to 338-345 HP and 743-820 lb ft of torgue. The only way to do this would be to install a new Allision 6 speed 3000MH.

If I spent $20k that's only 10% of the cost of a new MH and we like our current rig. I of course could live with what I have, it always gets us to where we're going, just seems to struggle up those big hills.

Does anyone know of a shop that has done this kind of upgrade?

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mark,

When all said and done, you will have big $$'s into the Allison swap, and then the Banks upgrade. A more economical solution may be to trade up to a gently used 36' coach with the CAT/3000 Allison tranny.

I had the same combo as you, and chose to upgrade to new (my prior coach was a 2000).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarkF:
Anyone ever tried this? I have a 2001 36' Journey, 5.9 Cummins( 274 HP, 600 lb ft) with Allision 2000MH 5 speed. It runs good, but seems a little low on power when climbing big hills out west especially on hot days. I can't do any motor upgrades such as Banks or BD because the transmission can't take anymore horse/torque. If you were to believe the ads from either Banks or BD I could add between 63-70 HP and 143-220 lb ft of torgue bringing the new totals for the 5.9 to 338-345 HP and 743-820 lb ft of torgue. The only way to do this would be to install a new Allision 6 speed 3000MH.

Does anyone know of a shop that has done this kind of upgrade? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! If it really costs $20k, that sure seems like a lot of money for a six-speed transmission. You're the only person that can decide if the return is worth the cost. You have to decide why you feel that you need more power; towing a boat or dinghy? Want to climb those hills at a little faster pace? How much faster could you climb those hills? I have a 5-speed and certainly wouldn't mind a 6-speed, mainly for level highway cruising, but not sure that I could ever justify the cost, other than if the OEM transmission let go.

Good luck in your decision and post what you decide...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Maybe tac on another 10 K and put a 350hp in it along with the six speed. You could probably get a few thousand on trade in from your 5.9.

Then again get past all the brain damage of engine/transmission changes and get a different coach that has what you want.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

What's the hurry? You like what you have, you know it by now and probably trust it. Take it easy and enjoy the ride, so it takes a few minutes longer to crest the hill. At the end of the day the guy who blew by you on the climb will barely have his utilities hooked up by the time you pull in. Take the 20K and enjoy life on the road with it. IMHO
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mark, don't spend that much money on a new tranny. First I would recommend something as simple as an Edge plug in power module. For your year coach it would probably run you about $300-$400. Second, have an EGT gauge installed to monitor the temps on long grades.

Third, the Allison would most likely handle the 75HP and 120 ft pounds of torque easily. And if there was ever a problem with the tranny slipping you could have it rebuilt with a host of heavy duty flywheel, pressure plate, torque converter and such for a fraction of the cost of the 6 speed change out.

A much smarter way to go. But before you even do that, insure that your fuel filter is new, and if your year has a secondary fuel strainer, change it out. A partially clogged fuel filter will rob you of power as well.

Take a good long look at the options before investing in that kind of upgrade.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

eBay home | Pay | Register | Sign out | Site Map | Community | Help

Search eBay Motors Advanced Search

Back to list of items Listed in category: eBay Motors &gt; Parts & Accessories &gt; Car & Truck Parts &gt; Engines & Components &gt; Complete Engines

Allison Transmissions - Completely Reman. MODEL MD3060P
Factory Remanufactured Trans to exceed Allison Specs. Item number: 250156979305

Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

View larger picture

Starting bid: US $3,950.00 Place Bid &gt;

price: US $3,995.00 Buy It Now &gt;

Make No Payments Until 2008 Apply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: Aug-28-07 07:09:17 PDT (4 days 1 hour)
Shipping costs: Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
History: 0 bids

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also:
Bid with Bid Assistant

Get mobile or IM alerts | Email to a friend

Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Aug-21-07 07:09:17 PDT
Starting bid: US $3,950.00
Duration: 7-day listing
Payment methods: PayPal,
Personal check,
Money order/Cashiers check,
Other - See Payment Instructions for payment methods accepted,
Visa/MasterCard,
American Express,
Discover
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: arsco2004( 17)
Member: since Sep-21-04 in United States

Read feedback comments
Ask seller a question
Add to Favorite Sellers
View seller's other items: Store | List
Visit seller's Store:
ARSCO DIESEL ENGINE CORPORATION

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 17 | 100% Positive
Read feedback comments
2. Check how you're protected

This item is covered up to $200 See eligibility

Description

Item Specifics - Item Conditon
Condition: Remanufactured

ARSCO DIESEL ENGINE CORPORATION

Visit my eBay Store:ARSCO DIESEL ENGINE CORPORATION

Completely Remanufactured Allison Automatic Transmission

This Auction is for the Very Popular and widely recognized MD3060P

It is used on Many Applications.

Fully Refundable Core Charge is an Additional $3,000.00

FREIGHT IS INCLUDED BOTH WAYS (In continental US)

We also CARRY THE FULL LINE OF ALLISON TRANSMISSIONS

AT545,MT643,MT653,HT700,MD3060&3560

Can Build to Order Supply all Numbers available!

Please call 800-621-4394 with your application

FREE FREIGHT (in continental 48 US states)

****Please note: All payments must be received and cleared by our financial institution prior to product leaving any of our facilities.

For export customers our preferred method of payment is via wire transfer or PAYPAL only all funds must be payable in USD.

We will not accept cashiers checks and/or money orders made out for higher dollar amounts than invoiced price, and We will not then forward the remainder to any "agents".

ALL MANUFACTURER'S NAMES AND LOGO'S ARE FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY.

Free Credit Report & Score From Experian. Learn more.

Shipping and handlingServices available
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.

Ships to
Worldwide

Return policyReturn policy not specified.
Read item description for any reference to return policy.

Payment details
Payment method

Personal check
Money order/Cashiers check
Other - See Payment Instructions for payment methods accepted
Visa/MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Seller's payment instructions
PAY AS YOU PLEASE, CHECK, MONEY ORDER ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS WIRE TRANSFER,PAYPAL

SEE DESCRIPTION FOR FREIGHT ON THIS UNIT

For export customers our preferred method of payment is via wire transfer or PAYPAL only all funds must be payable in USD.We will not accept cashiers checks and/or money orders made out for higher dollar amounts than invoiced price and we will not forward extra funds to agents.

Helpful information
eBay recommended services

HelpTake action on this item
Item title: Allison Transmissions - Completely Reman. MODEL MD3060P

Place a bid
Starting bid: US $3,950.00
Your maximum bid: US $

(Enter US $3,950.00 or more)

Place Bid &gt;
You will confirm in the next step.

Buy It Now
price: US $3,995.00
Buy It Now &gt;
You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid.
Learn about bidding.

Purchase this item now without bidding.
Learn about Buy It Now.

Other options
Back to list of items | Report this item | Printer Version | Sell one like this

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | Buyer Services & Protection | Policies | Site Map | Help

Copyright 1995-2007 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Homer. 20K sure buys a lot of travelling.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote