Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Alignment - Shimmy in Steering

I have an ever so slight side to side movement in the steering wheel of my 07 Journey.

Running Toyo's 265/80R22.5, date code 2316 so about two thirds through their life expectancy assuming 7 years, installed by PO.

It isn't enough for me to worry about just wondered what others are experiencing with their rigs.

Figuring on tires in 2023 or 2024, wondering if Centronic Wheel Balancer's would be a good idea.

Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

If you feel you have side to side movement in the steering wheel, then I would think you want to check your steering arms, pitman... whatever they call it.

A) If you think this is occurring due to improper tire balance, I would pay$15/tire and add some "Equal" tire beads to each tire. I have used this stuff for 8 years and it does a great job.

Just go to your tire shop and they will pull all the weights off your rims, bust the tire to add a bag, and your done for life.

B) Maybe you have some dry zerk fittings in the knuckles you can pump some grease into? Some do, most don't.

C) When you examining your steering arms, you will probably find some cracked rubber boots. This is very common and most people just leave them as-is, because most FL shops will tell you have to buy the entire steering arm just to get new rubber, and that is expensive.

I found a great source for my steering boots, but yours may be a different size.

The picture below shows the boot for my 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD to be made by Energy Suspension, Part #9.13126G, and I think they are called BALLJOINT DUST BOOTS you could one time buy on Amazon, but now I think you have to contact the manufacture or go to Ebay.

FYI, you to buy 2 boxes and you will only use the large boot in the box.

Note: Some people might try replacing these boots DIY, and I usually go this route myself, however, on this job I was very glad I let FL do it as they had to use some specialty equipment to get the steering arms to break loose.

Note: You do NOT need to realign your tires when you just replace the boots since you are not changing the length of the arms.

I had FL replace my rubber boots 3 years ago in Missoula and this FL shop did not mind me brining my own parts to them. In fact, the mechanic took down the manufacture and part number for future jobs. (See picture below.)

However, my IFS is made by Neway and your steering system may or may not be the same. Does your Journey have Independent Front Suspension (IFS)?

Go to this thread for more information on how to replace the boots. See post #11:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/04-0...ml#post5045221
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.13126G BALLJOINT DUST BOOT.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	178621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Tie Rod Cracked Boot.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	178622  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Great information, thank you so much. I stopped by the shop that is doing my spring maintenance and discussed this with them. They will keep all you listed in mind. Again thank you so much.

Tags
steering