Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi, we bought a 2006 Journey 36G last month and I guess I'm still getting use to it. So I hope you guys don't think I'm to much of a worrier with all these postings. Here's the latest... When I turn the ignition key to the ON (with or without starting) I hear what sounds like an air pump or air compressor towards the front left corner (facing the windshield from the driver seat). I opened the generator compartment and found a small black component that looks like a very small air pump with small hoses connected. I'm assuming this is the air pump for the air horns.

Here's my questions... Is this suppose to be constantly running or does it shut off after a period of time? If it does eventually shut off, how long does it usuually take? Is it for the horns?

When I let it run for about 10 minutes and touched it, it didn't feel hot to the touch. If it runs to long will it burn up? If it's not suppose to constantly run is there a know fix?

Again thanks in advance for any help and advice you give. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Bob
Webtrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi, we bought a 2006 Journey 36G last month and I guess I'm still getting use to it. So I hope you guys don't think I'm to much of a worrier with all these postings. Here's the latest... When I turn the ignition key to the ON (with or without starting) I hear what sounds like an air pump or air compressor towards the front left corner (facing the windshield from the driver seat). I opened the generator compartment and found a small black component that looks like a very small air pump with small hoses connected. I'm assuming this is the air pump for the air horns.

Here's my questions... Is this suppose to be constantly running or does it shut off after a period of time? If it does eventually shut off, how long does it usuually take? Is it for the horns?

When I let it run for about 10 minutes and touched it, it didn't feel hot to the touch. If it runs to long will it burn up? If it's not suppose to constantly run is there a know fix?

Again thanks in advance for any help and advice you give. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Think you for the are looking at the vaccuun pump for the a/c controles should turn off after a few min. if not would look for a vac. leak. good luck.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bob, do a search under "find" at the top of the page. Enter pump noise under hood or vacuum pump. There have been numerous threads on the subject. You most likely have a vacuum leak in the generator compartment. Let us know what you come up with..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is one..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys. That looks like the problem. Looks like a simple fix too. I'll take care of it this weekend.

Again thanks for the great wealth of information from all of you.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my heater/airconditioning control selecting 'off' or 'max a/c' positions caused the pump to run continuously.

I took the dash apart and tested the switch by taking the air connections off and testing each individually. This seemed like a good troubleshooting step, but in the end (and after $34 for a new switch) it proved nothing.

So I followed each colored air line into the front generator compartment. And tested each end of the lines I could see individually. Following each line to it's actuator, I found that the connections between the line and the actuators for most were cracked. I did find the one leaking and after duct tape (wow...how'd we live before this...), the leak stopped and my vacuum generator stopped running all the time.

What I discovered was.....after 7 years of life, most of the vacuum hoses were fine. The switch was fine. BUT any angled connector between vacuum hose and actuator was cracked and severely dried out.

Hope you find your leak.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi, thanks for the advice. Fixed her this morning. It was the little one inch hose identified in the chat SCVJeff provided about this issue last year. The pictures really helped. Took about 30 seconds to fix.

I removed the green vacuum line connected to the bottom of the do-hickey (in the pictures), pulled the 1 inch rubber tube (cracked just like in the pictures)and little metal elbow off. Then connected the little rubber elbow at the end of the green tube to the bottom of the do-hickey. Gave her a try and the pump stopped after building vacuum just like is was suppose to.

Btw, here's something interesting... I originally called Winnebago Tech Support about this. They said it was an air-horn compressor pump problem. Those guys should start reading this forum.