Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 04:02 AM   #1
Outer Banks of NC

Air intake mod for 2000 Chieftain

Had a vette with one of these on it, and a supercharger. Fixing to do a little modding with a cold air intake to the Winny.
Getting that air cleaner holder out a chieftrain is a royal task.
Will post some picture when I get it mounted. Got to do a little drilling and tapping on the sensor but thats the easy part.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This ISO 5011test was perfromed using a Duramax diesel engnine and various brands of air filters. It is quite interesting that the factory OEM air filter performed the best.

https://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:27 AM   #3
Outer Banks of NC

Got the duel intake removed the OEM stuff new intake and filters fit perfect but losing that one sensor really messed the idle up. Had to go back with the OEM stuff .
Old 04-18-2023, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It really is hard to be better than the folks who have been doing this for decades. With the experience of Winnebago, I find they know quite a bit.

When you find a guy who suddenly jumps up and screams about how much better everything he does is than the folks who have been doing the job for years, you gotta watch them.
They are likely to steal everything you've earned !
Marketing is often the only thing they know!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 04:06 AM   #5
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It really is hard to be better than the folks who have been doing this for decades. With the experience of Winnebago, I find they know quite a bit.

When you find a guy who suddenly jumps up and screams about how much better everything he does is than the folks who have been doing the job for years, you gotta watch them.
They are likely to steal everything you've earned !
Marketing is often the only thing they know!
But then you find a guy that is trying something, its not always marketing.
When I first got on here someone mentioned they lost a motor dew to where the air breather was. I rememebered that. Been doing a ton of upgrades to the RV noticed they were right the opening to the breather was almost at the bottom of the bumper. They had got in a flood trying to get through water its sucked it up in the intake of the breather. Basicly cut off the air. What caught my eye was there was no mount for it. Just laying agenst the frame.
Winniebago has that name for doing things right but the chassee and motor are Ford. Winnebago has nothing to do with the ford Chassies or drive train. Including the breather. With this local winnebago dealer being so slack to answering questions I have had to call Winnebago support several times to get any type of answers and when it comes to the motor or chasses they stop you in the middle of the sentence. YOU HAVE TO CALL SO AND SO>
I'm a drag racer have to admit I was wondering if the one sensor I would of had to drop would of made a difference , and it did. All I had to do was take the OEM ford stull loose crank it, its instently went to wavy RPS> I'm on a lot of car, and boat forums, sometimes questions or post are directed to>> has anyone tried this. Post hoping someone that might of? Would reply. !!!
This is how we learn.
Motors I know. Sensors and systems are a totally different animal. We didn't run those in dragster. Not until 20 years ago when the computer age cranked up. That monitor in my race trailer was for that very reason. Down load the date off the run with a laptop. RV is a 2000 . Boy that owned it had to replace the motor coming across country so motor new. He got a complete rebuilt motor. Why I bought this RV. Cheap and for OEM I can fix most of it.

Your statement for the most part is dead on but then there guys that grew up putting chevy motors in Ford Pintos, to Top dragster that just got to try everything possable . Especially in proformance. Your talking one. .
Ran a pro stock pinto from the 80s to the 90s bought a funny car . Could afford the car not the traveling. Tenn this weekend Fla two weekends later, NY or NJ three weekends after that. Owned my own business, but it still cost to play without support. Fun couple of years making 3 second blast down a 1/8 mile track at over 200 mph but ended up setteling for 4 second dragster so Richmond, Dunn NC at GALOT and the local track 12 miles from my house would not kill the kitty so bad. Was hoping someone would of tried the intake but I don't think there a lot of people on here that go much past the OEM systems.

Enjoy the video below. FIR never was into the marketing part. Did put a mural on the side of the last stacker race trailer one with the motor pulling stuck out the door. Been out of racing for two years. Three boats two bikes, Beach truck which will be pulled behind the RV to the beach and Can am side by side are enought to keep me busy at 66 years young.

More of a hands on guy than marketing myself.
Reason I posted after trying it was letting others know it didn't work. BUT have you ever heard of anyone getting a TUNE? With a tune using HP tuner pluged into the OBD port you can turn on and off any sensors Ford, chevy Dodge or other gas burners have in the computers.
The simple things FORD put in the winny chasses I can work on. Would I pull a motor out this beast. HELL NO. LOL But the one picture of the motor pulling coming out my race trailer cars and dragster are not to complecated to work on. Motorhomes replaceing a drive line? . I"m not even set up for that and with 32 foot moble shop thats more than I would want to tacle . You pay for some things. .

My gingle on the chevy in the Ford Pinto. Heart beat of America had a better idea. You rememeber that Ford and Chevy saying back when we were, much more beautiful than we are now? LOL
I buy used cause I can work things. Trying different things is just the fun part of it. You guys that know these systems have a ton of knowledge. I'm just getting into the drivable RV toy. Had a slide in camper I pulled the race trailer and boats with. Still have it soon as the RV hits the roads its sold.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	185703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_132933.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	185704  

Click image for larger version

Name:	337679236_604185284682059_8900281654126550300_n (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	185705  
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I completely get where you are coming from. On anything fairly high performance, I would always do a significant CAI mod. However in later years (and newer, finicky cars) I've started just using K&N filters, with opened up boxes with large screens.

No more sensor issues.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
I completely get where you are coming from. On anything fairly high performance, I would always do a significant CAI mod. However in later years (and newer, finicky cars) I've started just using K&N filters, with opened up boxes with large screens.

No more sensor issues.
Same here, Ordered a K and N and installed it.
I'll take it to a shop later get a tune with a HP tuner, someone added a straight pipe all the way down so know it could use a tune. Converter is gone. Might be why it was showing a lean condition. Be a few more weeks working on it before its first trip after buying it got the scan gauge after it was mentioned on here so feel a lot more comfortable with it now.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
Same here, Ordered a K and N and installed it.
I'll take it to a shop later get a tune with a HP tuner, someone added a straight pipe all the way down so know it could use a tune. Converter is gone. Might be why it was showing a lean condition. Be a few more weeks working on it before its first trip after buying it got the scan gauge after it was mentioned on here so feel a lot more comfortable with it now.

Go up to my reply #2 and read the link of an ISO study performed on air filters. K&N came in last in every category. It allowed the most dust and dirt through of all air filters tested.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:10 AM   #9
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Go up to my reply #2 and read the link of an ISO study performed on air filters. K&N came in last in every category. It allowed the most dust and dirt through of all air filters tested.
Yep AC delco won.
Ever typed a huge reply hit the wrong button and everything vanishes?
Just did that. Ain't got time to go back and do it all over but thanks for that link to.

As crazy as it might sound, even dragster hook scoops are designed to use filters in them now. I"m one of the ones that was like are you kidding but ET and speed didn't change a bit when I finally went to them. . You can teach a old dog new tricks.

Had a vette I played with for a few years if it was built I tried it on there. Nitrous meth and a Maggie Supercharger. Went through two motors getting the tune right but that intake I was trying to get to work on the Winnie was the same one, fit perfect and if I had of taken the time to mod that one way air sensor in front the filter housing it might of worked. That sensor was set to receive a certain amount of air flowing through it or vacuum and it was turned to allow air to flow through it. If it had of been a single pipe I"m guessing the air flow would of been about what ford had figured and set the ecm to accept. A tune would of got that idle back to normal and resetting the air tables with HP tunner it would of worked. Lot of time for very little gain so I sent it back.

Just not crazy about the looks or design of the filter housing just laying there but ford wins this round.

Thanks for the relys guys. We now know its a lot of work and money so AC Delco wins as the filter of choice and to keep our cotton picking hands off that mod. But that don't mean there won't be others.