Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Air Filter Maintenance

I am new to this website and just purchased a 2008 Journey 39Z motor home. I am looking for advice on how to access the air filter to change it since I do not know when it was last changed.

I have looked around but I cannot determine the best course of action to take it change the filter.

It is located on driver side in the rear directly behind the condenser coil and above the exhaust.

Hope someone can steer me in right direction so I can get this changed.

Thanks in advance.

2008 Journey 39Z
Allison Transmission
Cummins ISB 350 EPA07
J F Lesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This blog of a 2007(?) Journey owner has some good pictures, etc. on changing the engine air filter: R Sanity RV Adventures: Replacing The Air Filter

I don't know if it's just the same as yours, but hopefully it's helpful.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

air filter

if you are anywhere near the Gaffney S.C. service center ,stop in and have them change it for you , you get fresh factory parts at a good price, at the same time have them look your rig over .
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Lesher View Post
I am new to this website and just purchased a 2008 Journey 39Z motor home. I am looking for advice on how to access the air filter to change it since I do not know when it was last changed.

I have looked around but I cannot determine the best course of action to take it change the filter.

It is located on driver side in the rear directly behind the condenser coil and above the exhaust.

Hope someone can steer me in right direction so I can get this changed.

Thanks in advance.

2008 Journey 39Z
Allison Transmission
Cummins ISB 350 EPA07
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another happy RVer on board.
The post about going to Gafney, SC is great. Your rig could benefit from a 'chassis' tuneup. The Freightliner Oasis service center techs would tighten the chassis bolts, adjust the break slack adjuster, replace the filter on the air pump, replace the transmission filters... all for a fee of course.
Doing your air filter yourself is a good thing. The operators manual says to change it ever 2 years. Great for a commercial truck putting many miles on a year. Not cost effective for us RVers.

Air filters have a shelf and usage life according to a reply I got back from Raycor many years ago. The shelf life or warehouse life is short. About 3 years as I recall. (Don't hold me on this.) But, service life is 7 years because the changing environment is good for the materials the filters are made of.
When you do the change out be certain to avoid getting any dirt, even dust, in the duct tube going to the turbo. Clean the couplings well before removing. If they are damp when you separate the boot that is okay. It may not be easy to get to. I gain access to my filter through the last bay door. Makes it easy for me.
Hope this all helps a bit in your situation.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tags
maintenance